Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

USCE: The Politics of Pickleball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kammat posted:

Could you expand on this? I'm familiar with gun control laws only becoming popular when the "wrong people" started carrying, but I'm honestly stumped figuring out the racial angle on the 2nd.

I’ll let you solve it yourself, but think about it: why would a state need multiple standing armed militias on call when it’s not wartime?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FizFashizzle posted:

Her district is Charleston.

Abortion restriction is not a winning issue there.

On top of it all, her district is about to be redrawn again, after accusations of gerrymandering to avoid large portions of Charleston's black population

https://www.wbtw.com/news/politics/...-judges-decide/

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 10, 2023

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Craig K posted:

cost, and also "what do you do with the leftover goop that used to be the salt and assorted nasties in the water"

People… eat salt though? It’s a product you can sell

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jarmak posted:

I believe you're referring to sight reading, which is taught because that's how people actually read.

Even people who are taught phonics? Because as a librarian it’s depressing to walk through a book and a kid stumbles on a word and I say

“let’s walk through it, what letter is that?”

“C!”

“What sound does it make?”

“…”

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The sports thing is a wedge issue because people are very concerned about fairness, and the framing pushed by bigots is Your Precious Daughters Being Trounced By Big Men! You won't beat that argument by saying its not up for debate imo.

I wish I could find the exact quote but I saw a convincing argument that asks you to imagine 400 people in a room to represent the American Population. Half of them are women, XXX live in poverty, YY got shot at today, and 2 are trans. There’s not even enough trans athletes for us to count them in this room, and yet the media would have you think they’re as big of a problem as women’s health, poverty, or gun violence; that we need to vote politicians into office to legislate their bodies

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gyges posted:

It's mostly that they agree on almost everything except for a tiny little quibble over who's considered white. Which is an odd sticking point since basically all the other hated 19th Century Europeans are considered whites in good standing.

What I would give to have a national platform to say that White People are a thing that got made up and doesn’t exist. That White People are as real as Santa Claus (the point being that Santa is way too real for something that’s fake)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I love this conversation about housing problems that refuses to acknowledge illegal immigration and legal immigration on the demand side of the equation. Really telling.

So what do you have to add to the conversation? Or are you just going to drop a turd and ask why we're not talking about you and your giant brain?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

South Carolina is weirdly one of the best for some reason. Illinois is also among the best and has a similar demographic and political makeup to NY and CA, but seems to be doing significantly better than them in terms of number of homeless.

Couldn't tell you what folks are doing here to keep people from being unhoused, it might be an issue with how the stats are recorded. I know I've seen an uptick in unhoused people working at a small-town library.

E: Hail Satan

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 15, 2023

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fellow members of the North American Society of Vexillologists, get this man!

I could fight the entire vexilology hit squad, these nerds can't improve a flag that is officially undefined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQxNBLWmgg&t=1608s

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 21, 2023

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The first one seems obviously better. The bottom one is weirdly shaped!

I agree that the first flag should be what they go with, but the bottom one is way more representative of the cabbage palmetto trees I see everyday, especially with the spikes that are the dried remnants of fronds that have fallen off.

E: Wanna fistfight this vexilology nerd that thinks palmetto trees have coconuts and that fronds look like Yosemite Sam's mustache. But this could be a legal SC Flag until the offical flag goes into effect

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not a crescent moon! It's a gorget!

It's our own fault, people kept turning the gorget.