Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dietrich posted:

My city replaced like 3/4ths the tennis courts with pickleball courts and they're slammed with players most sundays so I think it might be fun? Haven't tried it yet.

i find it wild that america has finally embraced pickleball.

we played it in senior year gym (22 years ago) and i enjoyed it so much that i asked my gym teacher to let me take a few sets of paddles and balls home but i could never get anyone to play.

wish i still had that stuff, it's vintage now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

cool this will surely have a wonderful effect on the discourse around upcoming legislation aimed at trans people

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Cimber posted:

.... more and more gen-x ... come into true power.

i kept reading a bunch of think pieces saying Gen X has swung hard right over the last 10 years

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
IMO the shift isn't "you get more conservative as you get older (with the assumption that age=wisdom or some other nonsense) it's that you tend to get more conservative the richer/wealthier you get and that typically happens as you age almost by default.

Or rather, it did. The reason you see Silents and Boomer and Xers racing republican as they age is because they were able to take advantage of the postwar economic conditions and amass wealth as they aged, becoming more in line with right wing issues on fiscal policy. Some of them even ended up drinking the social issues kool aid.

Millennials aren't amassing wealth. As we age into our 40s a lot of us are struggling the same way we were in our 20s (and posting on the same dead gay comedy forums) and so the fiscal policies of the Republicans aren't the "foot in the door" they used to be for right wing talking points to take hold.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there any data to back this up? When I look at presidential elections, gen x has always hung around the 50/50 mark, and that wasn’t any different in 2020 when they just barely favored Biden.

the main thing i saw was poll numbers from NBC news (not as good as actual votes but it's something)

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 9, 2023

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yureina posted:

More than that, who comes after Biden? Harris? Newsom? Is Bernie secretly a vampire and will be good to run in 2028?

scuttlebutt out of the PA dem machine is that Josh Shapiro has his eye on 2028 so add another milky and toasted white dude to the pile

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Shapiro is Jewish, so while you could describe him as white, this is an oversimplification.

I know he's Jewish, i met him at a bar mitzvah (his nephew or some other relation) at the shul i work at.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

DiscoWitch posted:

Hello, I'm trans. You know what sucks? The entire poo poo around trans people in sport. Because every debate about men vs women and this muscle tone and that bone density that goes on from any side always seems to miss a very crucial point; most trans people don't do competitive sports, yet this is one of the key bits of propaganda being used to make my existence invalid.

People always say 'oh but there is definitely a case for argument about trans women in women's sport' but there isn't anyone actually doing research, the effects of feminising hormones on the body are little understood and in a political climate like this I'd be highly suspicious because how can you have objectivity?

But its never about that really.

When sport becomes something people are using to make your existence a problem its a loving nightmare. I'd just like people to reflect on that cause drat seeing pages and pages of argument about it and people then moving the debate to be about comparing cis people just kind of seems to miss the whole point. Trans people in sport feels like a way for people to be massively insensitive for the sake of debate.

Basically this. the last few pages has been incredibly difficult to read as a trasfem person. It basically signals to me that the right wing playbook is working, even here. I am making an assumption that all of you would consider yourself to be allies of trans folks, but as soon as the word "sport" is mentioned it sparks of pages of debate, which (in the general sense) keeps trans existence framed as an issue that we have to debate. it's maddening

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 13, 2023

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Trans people in sports is an effective focus issue for bringing normies who aren’t plugged in and don’t care that much to the right wing cause to varying degrees and that demands a response.

i guess i wasn't clear. it doesn't have to be an effective focus issue. or rather, you don't have to concede that it's an effective issue and start debating the merits of it. it steers the debate to a trivial non issue of sports when my very existence is being taken away.

loving push back and say "this is a non issue due to [insert whatever you want here about the small number of trans athletes or whatever]" and refocus on making sure trans people can live their lives.

the playbook is getting you to debate on the sports part, and you're all falling for it

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Respond by pointing out that the fair outcome IS the one you want and that its already literally the status quo. (Unless you think it isn't, I guess!)

This is what i mean when i say we shouldn't have the debate. Because there's no debate to be had since the fair outcome has already been established for decades.

And then pivot to showing how ridiculously horrible and fascist the right is being about trans people in general.

And if they bring up the sports again you repeat yourself that there is no debate it's a solved problem. you keep redirecting because if you let them get a foot in the door with the sports issue the right takes it and pushes for the other poo poo and you can't let them look reasonable by conceding that the sports debate has merit.

you said it yourself, the status quo is already the solution

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

World Famous W posted:

anecdote, but my brother and his husband hate being called queer and prefer gay, both are in the millennial age group

this matches some anecdotal evidence of my own that seems to indicate that "millennial and older" cis gay men are the most resistant to the term queer as an identifier

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

LMAO at "Kensington, PA"

I seriously don't understand the motivation for insinuating that this neighborhood is a city in its own right, especially when the right is primed to hate Philly for 2020 (and of course generic big city reasons) all on its own

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

wow absolutely huge "how do you do fellow zoomers" energy

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

I grew up with two malls within a few miles, the Shore Mall and the Hamilton Mall. Both died slow and painful deaths over the course of the mid-00s, but only the Shore Mall realized it and was razed accordingly. The Hamilton Mall continues chugging along, but it's in a depressing state. Mostly empty storefronts.

Another mall near where I ended up moving to — Echelon Mall — is somehow even more sorry than Hamilton. I legitimately thought I was walking through an abandoned building until I got to the food court, which I guess services all the corporations officed nearby.

A little further away is the Cherry Hill Mall, which last I checked is doing fuckin' gangbusters. Downside is you have to go to Cherry Hill.

The Echelon Mall was already on its way down by the late 90s apart from its sweet laser tag place.

Over on the other side of the river, the King of Prussia mall will probably never die, though the other smaller ones (Plymouth Meeting, Montgomeryville, Franklin Mills, etc) are all in various states of decay

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Keys already flood now, on sunny days. There are a bunch of articles out there but they don't really get much attention.

they sure do. i'm trying to put a trip together for my 40th to key west next year and im more worried than ever about the timing and storms and poo poo

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

You need some landlords because some people will need to rent, always. Even if the government buys up a bunch of housing and provides rental below market, they are still an institutional landlord in practice. The real question is: how do you constrain them to make rents affordable and provide rights to tenants? There is a world where landlords provide a valuable service at a just price by providing dwellings fit for habitation, and the better way forward is to find that world rather than one where landlords don't exist and everyone must own their own home.

Also, for what it's worth, corporate landlords have always been far, far superior to amateur small-time landlords. Things get fixed because they have a staff of people to handle that sort of thing, and while they will use the law for leverage, they will carefully avoid breaking the law because they know exactly what the law is. Also, they don't really give a poo poo about you -- there's no emotional connect to "their property" so you aren't going to have them essentially stalking and harassing you.

I think, at least in the medium term, you answered this already: the elimination of private/corporate landlords in favor of capital s State landlords.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rupert Murdoch is stepping down from News Corp.

His son Lachlan will be the sole chairman of all Fox News and News Corp properties.

So is Lachlan more of a Kendall or a Roman

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

I didn't learn until recently that Lachlan accused James of leaking lines to the writers of the show.

James sounds like the Siobhan of the family

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Anno posted:

Would passing this resolution immediately suspend aid to Ukraine? Or is there already $X of that committed through some time in the future that they could use to come to a more long term solution. 45 days isn't much.

didn't they just pass a ukraine funding bill a few days ago?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Zachack posted:

Unless they need to self-navigate multiple blocks away in unfamiliar areas using Maps then I don't see what the benefit is.

this is why my oldest has one. she takes her scooter/bike out for multiple mile trips and then maps a course back home.

it's kept in her locker (most days, i've gotten one email this year about it) at school.

as far as the distraction goes, the school provided laptops are a much easier vector since they're required to be out more than half the time and the kids always figure out how to message each other on them

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, that feels dumb. I reminds me of those protesters who were protesting that falafle resturant in philly and then someone in the crowd smashed some windows. its like a random jewish resuraunt , its not helping glass gaza. Go protest shaprios or fettermans house or whatever. smashing some jewish owned resturant is a bad loving look. Like i agree with the anger but some of it is sadly misplaced or redirected by real stupid and lovely people.

It wasn't a random jewish restaurant the owner does a lot of work with Israel (to the point where he was named the "food ambassador of israel") and was donating his proceeds to an "impartial" medical organization (that has ties to the IDF).

Calling it "random" completely plays into the narrative of antisemitism gone wild that is going to make me snap at the next congregant that calls the synagogue I work at.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Why does holding a Jewish person who donated food to a medical organization responsible for Israeli policy make more sense than protesting John Fetterman or the Israeli embassy? Why did they smash his windows?

The restaurant was also part of 47 Jewish/Israeli restaurants that were targeted for protests in the area. Were all of them being targeted for donating to a medical organization with ties to the IDF? It's literally the same "Jews = Israel" association that people make when they want to accuse any criticism of Israel of being anti-Semitic.

where are you getting your info? are you from here? Solomonov's are the only ones targeted for protest. the others have been subject to a boycott movement.

Goldie also fired several gen z workers for pro palestine views. again this isn't some random antisemitism. members of my west philly synagogue were part of this protest, and defend it. (i don't protest because as a single parent i literally cannot afford potential police altercation)

https://philly.eater.com/2023/12/4/23987446/boycott-michael-solomonov-restaurants-goldie-israel-palestine

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The Philly Palestine coalition was one of the groups that organized the protests and boycotts and this is what their own instagram said:

so exactly what i said? the majority were targeted for boycotts, solmonov's (and specifically solomonov's) were on the protest route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The slide explicitly says they are boycotting restaurants serving Israeli food and not restaurants that donated to a medical organization that has worked with the IDF. It says serving Israeli food makes you part of a campaign to erase Palestinian existence.

Is there a reason you keep conflating protest and boycott? Many restaurants were boycotted, only Solomonov's were protested. I've said this for multiple posts and you keep quoting me and saying nothing

e:

socialsecurity posted:

Boycott is a form of protesting though?

i'm trying to distinguish between physically going to and protesting outside the space vs a boycott. how would you like me to delineate them

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 12, 2023