Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Water quality, from the James River to the Hudson to the Cheasapeake Bay has made large strides in the last 30 years. The mid to upper east coast has made huge strides to clean up their waterways, and you really can't compare how they were in the 90s to how they are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
All the millennial parents I know are freaking out about Charter Schools being a drain on our public school system.

Admittedly a pool of two is too small for charting any broad trends.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The next person who talks about dieting or BMI is getting banned.

Don't ask me how I could possibly enforce that. Just beware the ban and shut the gently caress up.

Mellow Seas posted:

I honestly don’t understand why somebody can’t just trick Feinstein into resigning.

The people around Feinstein have a lot of soft power and influence they will lose instantly the second she is gone. They will definitely not let that happen.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 28, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No one wants to hear this answer, but Mike Pence.

Depressingly true, decorum actually did save us

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The amount we on the left bend over backwards to say "well I would never cheer for Disney/please don't misunderstand I hate Disney/gently caress Disney" is quite frankly tiring. They aren't doing anything wrong here, I feel no compunction to make me throttle my support for them as they smother President DeSantis in his crib.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's more like proof that you must double down.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

No need for the “a bunch of nameless people were wrong with a position I’m just making up that they had :smug:”. Boycotts ended apartheid; nobody believed they can never seriously believes they can never work.

But this is so hosed up. I’m honestly in disbelief. No, this stuff isn’t as important as legislation. But I can’t remember the last time a right wing culture war[i] boycott won. We’re really losing ground right now. I can’t find the numbers but the percentage of Americans who respect gender identity has gone [i]down since it became a wedge issue.

One slightly encouraging parallel is that support for gay marriage dropped a bit during the 2004 elections, when it was hyper politicized, but that didn’t stop the long term trend.

I mean the ultimate avatar of bro culture embracing a trans star was a huge win. It’s really dad it’s turned out this way.

The boycott didn't work, the company immediately fired the people involved and threw transgender people under the bus because they agreed with the protesters.

There were plenty of libs ready to buy up all the crappy beer they could in support but AB pissed off both sides, one by accident and the other on purpose.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

The employers should go straight to prison for this poo poo, none of this "fines" bullshit. Anyone working in a managerial capacity while a literal child works at a loving slaughterhouse needs to do time.

Consequences for the rich is something China and Singapore do far better than most places in the West.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

This is pretty much perfectly in line with PETA's openly stated ideology as I'm familiar with it, so I've never really understood this criticism. They aren't and never have been opposed to the death of animals, but rather to their exploitation for human purposes. "PETA kills their animals instead of returning them to captivity and the possibility of what they see as continued ongoing harm" is what I would expect.

I don't like PETA much, or agree with their ideology, but this has always seemed like such an incredibly weird criticism that reveals more about the people lobbing the accusation than it does about PETA.

This is from a few pages ago, but I do not understand what you are trying to say. I lived in Norfolk Va for a time, and PETA ran animal shelters that people reasonably believed they should take kittens to so they could find forever homes and they were just murdered. I have no idea why you think people making sure people know that PETA kills animals is actually a self own on those pointing it out.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Is Lindsay Graham gay? I thought that was just a joke.

Some people call it the worst kept secret in DC.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Feinstein is ultimately the one who doesn't want to leave and hasn't wanted to hear about it for over a decade.

I mean that's true to a point, but eventually the onus is on the mentally competent around her that allow it to continue. As another poster said, even if it was her original wish when she was 100% competent, it is now elder abuse.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

cat botherer posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1658855055892664329

Yeah, it really looks like he's caving. Whomst among us could have predicted?

How is this leaving the door open for more work requirements? This looks like a wall more than a door.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Also get ready for more floods

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Uh does this mean there is a possibility that Biden's sexual assault allegation was a Russian psy-op?

Why would anyone flee to Russia in 2023 if they're not literally a Russian asset?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah sorry but if he always swam naked and the secret service has a rule like "we can't look away while you swim" well that sucks but I wouldn't change my habits either.

E: " you cannot go to and onsen for four years" would be a hard pass for me.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

Hi you're both rape apologists, and a direct danger to the women in your lives🥰

Hey just wanted to point out this is disgusting behavior from you.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

You're right I'm sorry I missed your horrifying "what's wrong w whipping your cock out in front of your employees" post

Americans are so loving weird about the human body. Being naked is not the same thing as "wiping your dick out". Why are you here, when there are so many children being sexually abused because they saw an old man in the locker room at the Y you could be saving?

Adenoid Dan posted:

Is it really such a burden that along with the privileges of being president, he can no longer skinny dip?

It's really more like why is it even a problem

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 31, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

biden isnt european hes american

and america its weird to be naked in front of strangers or professional colleagues

him skinny dipping in front of the secrer service, is weird

I had to learn something, now you have to learn it too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_swimming_classes_in_the_United_States

Apparently for people of Biden's generation this would have been extremely common.

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s not weird, it’s sexual harassment and he should have been arrested for doing it.

This is like, a joke, right? This isn't even remotely enough information to classify this as sexual harassment.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 31, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

And calling African Americans racist words was OK when he was growing up. Does that give him a free pass to yell racist epithets around African Americans?

The human body is like a racism car

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If Trump falls off due to crimes or whatever, Christie could easily fill the void to crush DeSantis.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The choices are not USA or Russia. Being upset about mistreatment in the USA does not mean you need to run to a country currently in the middle of a genocidal war they started while they black bag a government official every week.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

Any news on the debt ceiling? Is Kevin McCarthy flying too close to the sun?

"The wax will drip off any day now" is what I have heard his entire run as speaker, but this is his biggest challenge to date.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The Xtreme Silent Generation

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Classical History undergrad checking in. Yep.

Egyptology generally escapes pretty unscathed from that group, but we have a different racial superiority group kicking around Karnak.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Just had a mass shooting in Richmond VA at a high school graduation, at least 5 people shot.

Source: it's like half a mile from me and all the roads are blocked off

First article I could find. https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/altria-theater-graduation-shooting-june-6-2023

Greatest country on earth.

Half of VCU's freshman population lives next door to that church.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Imagine finding out you pled to felonies so Trump would have to pay a 500 dollar fine.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
He's so pro segregation it transcends his desire to make democrats lose seats.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think that's standard practice

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If they have the evidence as presented it would take a miracle blatant show of corruption for him to wiggle 100% free of this.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

The gov quote about schools and parents had to be one of the most politically clueless things I ever heard.

But it was also 100% correct, and people weren't lying when they said they wanted politicians who told hard truths and tell it like it is, right?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No one arguing about trans people in sports can be persuaded by a sports / science argument. This is a deeply moral issue and there's no zinger fact you can drop that will change their moral compass. I'd argue that even having the debate is harmful to discourse because few if any people on the fascist side here are discussing it in good faith.

Very true, especially since the female swimmer that they used to kick all this off is not the ultimate athlete they try to paint her as.

This was never about facts or harms.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Unfortunately for us, anything less than a summary execution will be spun as “Biden DoJ Nepo Corruption “

An execution would be spun as "silencing Hunter because he knew too much"

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

IRS whistleblower says Justice Dept. slowed, stifled Hunter Biden case
Tax investigator says prosecutor decisions whittled down the case against the president’s son

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/22/hunter-biden-whistleblower-transcript-garland/

Shapley's interview with the committee is public and is available here.

The timing of this release is definitely Republican counterprogramming, but I can't evaluate the independent validity of the complaints of the two IRS witnesses without spending a lot of time digging through the interview transcript and IRS investigative procedure.

edit: I've had only time to skim the 212 page transcript, but my impression is that it's bullshit. I'd really need to spend more time with it, though; of note, this guy refused to communicate or do an interview with the Senate Finance committee, which is Dem-controlled.

Feels like this mostly whittles down to the "I think there is enough evidence but a lawyer doesn't, the lawyer must be wrong!" trap that you see people fall into all the time. "They didn't agree with me, so it must be because they are in a conspiracy" is not a lot to go on. I mean the right wing propaganda machine absolutely will but I'm guessing most people will see "but he was charged with..." and assume from cop drama knowledge that there wasn't actually enough evidence to charge for the other stuff.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 23, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Cops aren't apolitical centrists.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
They're definitely going to completely destroy Affirmative Action so I could see Roberts saying give me something to balance that off

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BDawg posted:

North Carolinian here. State funding being diverted away from public schools and towards “traditional-values-based education” was part of the reason behind the charter school push.

I’m not 100% sure why the Democratic governor at the time signed the bill, unless he was scared by a parental backlash. We had Republicans in the House and Senate, but I don’t recall them having a super-majority then.

The other big problem is charter schools don’t have to provide transportation. So, while they do have to allow anyone to attend, they limit people who rely on a bus to get them to school.

Even here in NYC people take a lot of flack for even looking at charter schools with a raised eyebrow. It's completely nuts how people swallowed the charter school propaganda completely.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It sounds like something I could see Michael Scott doing.

Honestly though good for them. It totally sounds like a then they clapped but gently caress it man if I hear just two more stories like that I might start believing in soul matching too.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's been a few months since Eric Adams did something weird in New York City at he just wanted to remind everyone that he is still the Mayor, still really into good vibes, and still a weird guy.

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1673869840665247745

God I hate this idiot so much

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is the only reason they ruled the way they did for the majority black districts after basically destroying the voting rights act just a few sessions ago. That was the only cover they could give themselves to not be called the most racist court since Plessy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hot take: as long as corporate 24/7 news media exists, there will never be over 49% of people happy about the economy.