Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

My city replaced like 3/4ths the tennis courts with pickleball courts and they're slammed with players most sundays so I think it might be fun? Haven't tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Young Freud posted:

Did the entire rightwing mediasphere decide to just poo poo itself within the past week? Latest news is Steven Crowder getting divorced and is claiming that Candace Owens is extorting him.

It has been a crazy couple of weeks.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Congress could sue the Treasury Department for violating separation of powers and attempting to take away Congressional control of federal borrowing and spending power that is guaranteed to them under Article I.

Sure. But the white house just argues they have to spend money as directed by congress. Congress has passed two things that can not be simultaneously be obeyed. I don't think any judge is dumb enough to side with congress and tank the entire global economy. The whole idea of the political hot potato is NOT to get caught holding it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

She's made the whole thing up, I'm pretty sure.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

shoeberto posted:

I really wonder how much it's projective for people who have some level of gender dysphoria that makes them deeply uncomfortable to acknowledge. It's been such a consistent thing we've seen with all of these backlashes. There's just no reason to give a poo poo unless it touches a nerve in some particular way.

It's generally the same group of people that judge you based on if your truck is polluting enough and if your wife and kids are scared of you enough to see if you are an actual man or a (always as an insult) woman. It is anathema to the central concept that organizes their entire loving lives that a person with a penis would choose to move down the hierarchy rather than up it- so the explanation has to be perversion or to achieve an advantage in sports or something.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think “there aren’t enough to matter” is a bad argument because it undoes itself as soon as a trans athlete has success. I think you have to stick with “science has shown trans athletes that have gone through HRT do not have an advantage” and point to the lack of trans Olympic medalists as evidence. Then when an individual does have success it’s just a statistical thing that had to happen eventually.

The issue is that those are the same argument to the bigots though. They think the goal is to just let anyone claim to be anything and have gender no longer matter. They think that if society accepts that, then why wouldn't the best male athletes that didn't make the team just say "I'm a woman now" and compete on the women's league, prohibiting cis-women from having a place to play sports. I don't think they are concerned about actual trans people (because according to the bigots, they don't exist anyway), they are concerned that men will just pretend to be trans for the medals.

They likely don't realize that it's not that simple and there are already rules in place to prevent that kind of thing, but just pointing to a lack of trans domination is not enough.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

Like I said a few posts back, my personal definition of debate is that both sides should be at least open to the idea that their opponent could be correct. Maybe that's not anyone else's definition, and that's fine! But when someone says that the issue of trans rights should be open for debate, as this conversation started, that says to me that they are open to ceding ground on the issue.

To use what might be a lovely analogy, I think it's like a sports game. Both teams come together and agree that whoever scores the most points will get the trophy. That's fine and good. But then in this scenario, you have one team saying that if they win, they get to murder the other team's goalie. You're probably not going to want to play with that team, or at the very least your goalie might have some qualms with it.

That's an important precursor to deciding if you want to use time talking to someone, but debate in the age of social media involves more people reading the debate than directly participating in it, and there are minds that can be changed in the audience.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think bringing up the HRT requirements is a good counter to that, though. You’re not going to get through to the folks that are using trans athletes as an excuse to hate trans people, but there are more reasonable people who don’t have all the facts on trans athletes and you can win some of them over.

Agreed, that is the most important component to include in my opinion. Too many people have their opinions on this from south park or fox news and they are both insanely inaccurate on what kind of rules the various sports leagues and orgs have put in place. Start there, if you're interested in engaging.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The nazis ran in the primary. They showed up to vote for other nazis. They fund raised for the most nazi of the potential candidates, even if none of them were quite nazi enough. They talked to all their non nazi friends and got them to come to their nazi church if they could. They shared nazi poo poo on social media constantly and talked to all their family about how much we really need nazis right now. as a result, over 20 years, the republican party has moved in their direction.

They didn't just refuse to vote until the republican party changed all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Frankly if we want to improve our food system and about a million other things, we need to stop subsidizing corn to the point where it's the only crop besides Soy worth planting and the abundance of it leads to it being in every loving thing we eat and fed to all our animals even though Cows, for example, literally rupture their rumens and die from a corn based diet and have to be fed antibiotics to kill off their fermenting bacteria to delay that long enough for them to fatten up. It's the major pillar of our food system, and it's also a prime contributor to our country being fat as hell.