Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
With all due respect, I don't think government structure is the problem, I think it's that the people who make up the government in each case are in one case, sane, and in the other case: complete loving lunatics.

"High-power rifles are bad for civilians to own without significant or complete restriction" is not really much of a debate in most of the world. Even in Canada, where the gun control debate is quite active, the discussion usually comes down to: "should these guns be moderately restricted (as all guns), heavily restricted (as handguns and AR-15s were until recently) or prohibited?"

I think that's a reasonable conversation to have, and reasonable people can disagree on what the correct regulations would be. But I think having everything more or less wide-open is clearly very loving stupid, bordering on insanity, and most everyone agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Byzantine posted:

A load of iron ore, 26 thousand tons more?

...than the runway train had weighed empty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

I would argue that how the government is structured affects who is in the government.

You can't get lunatics in a democratic government of any construction unless you have a significant number of people who are ready and willing to vote for lunatics. Yes there's gerrymandering and voter suppression, but there's also a lot of voters who are just batshit insane, and those factors are the two halves of the puzzle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'd also say handwaving away gerrymandering and voter suppression is being too dismissive of their effects.

I'm not handwaving them away, I'm saying in a sane country even die-hard conservative partisans would say "you know, these constant shootings are getting to be a bit much, loving do something about them" and then it wouldn't matter how you suppressed the vote or gerrymandered them because no one would vote for rabid 2nd amendment loons.

There would still be a lot of other policy issues, the system would still favour capital and racism and all that horrible poo poo, it would not fix every problem, but you need a certain amount of absolute nuts to sustain the current policy positions on gun control, because they are utterly insane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The police chief also said that based on their writings "resentment about being sent to this school" may have played a role in it being chosen as one of their targets.

It's not morally acceptable for the victim of a religious school to commit an act like this, of course. But it's understandable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know it's really horrific for the families, but I feel like there really needs to be an Emmett Till level photo. But that is a Hurclean task for anyone.

There's plenty of them. My family in Parkland sent me a video from inside MSD. I did not make it through the whole thing, and I don't ever want to. The people who need to look at them, don't.

I honestly can't blame them for that -- I've seen a guy get shot execution-style with a pistol, and I can't say I recommend it. It's pretty hosed up. People should just take it on faith that guns do some really hosed up poo poo.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's just one foreign aid, Michael, what could it possibly cost? $10?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Randalor posted:

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they worded the declaration like something out of a curse from the fairy tales Disney kept making films for? Guess DeSantis will have to commit regicide if he wants to piss in Disney's cereal.

Multiple regicide, and then some!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I dunno, a lot of the loudest and worst Christians (the sort who say we need a Revival) are pretty incoherent themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So I take it that with language like "Soros-backed" DeSantis has not typically been relying on the support of Jewish voters in FL?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think people should do, within reason, whatever makes them happy instead of trying to min-max their health constantly. I feel like there's an increasingly obsessive focus on "wellness" and at some point it just creates spiraling anxiety and things like orthorexia.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And to expand on my earlier comment, I think there's too often a moral component associated with (some but not all) choices that people make in order to enjoy themselves, when those choices carry risk. Eating unhealthy food, drinking, smoking, drug use, participating in dangerous hobbies, and so on -- the fact that they are risky is not a reason to judge people who choose to take those risks. I think it's bad to try and cover up those risks, so I don't oppose the research that tells us what the risks are, but I don't think the statement "no amount of alcohol consumption is safe" is a reason to say "therefore, people who choose to consume alcohol are making a morally incorrect or otherwise unjustifiable choice."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think anyone who was telling themselves that drinking was healthy and/or free of risk, was deluding themselves and should've known better. It's like when I talked to my mom, a former smoker, about smoking cigarettes.

"The studies weren't out, but obviously we all knew it was unhealthy. Things that are good for you don't make you cough up brown poo poo in the morning."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isnt that common in asian cuisine? Pad thai? Lots of curries? Fish sauce in everything? Vegetarian for years, you never just assume tofu as protein = veggie.

I… think it was a joke?

In various sorts of Asian cuisine, tofu is “an ingredient” instead of “a substitute.”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Not an alcoholic, but I think quitting alcohol would destroy my social life. Do you know how boring most recreational activities are? How boring the average person is?

The bar is one of the only “third spaces” Americans have.

Do I really just want to be sober and stay home? I know my partner sure doesn’t.

You can go out and just not drink alcohol. Mocktails are getting trendy and improving in quality, many 0.0 beers are available and they don’t taste like poo poo any more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

loving hell, are you people EVER going to run out of goddamn Kennedys? :mad:

I assume so, they're obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

2023 and goons need to be taught about diet drinks and tea

Diet drinks still taste disgustingly sweet because that's the point of them. I agree decaffeinated/herbal tea is a great option (or regular tea if it's early in the day), as are the various sparkling waters, either flavoured or unflavoured.

Non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic beverages are nice because cocktails and beer and wine taste good and go better with food, so I think they should also be more widely available.

Bottom line is: if you're trying to rationalize your drinking by arguing it can't be avoided, you are a few decent steps down the road to alcoholism. Arguably moreso than if you just admit you drink because you like the buzz and don't care about the risks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm hearing a lot of anger from people in the community in Tennessee yesterday and today, even people who are not friends of Obama.

I can't remember if I saw it here or on Twitter, but I think this sentiment summed it up very well:

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1644129754172334080

Even someone who ain't woke can see just how egregious this is, you pretty much have to be a card-carrying white supremacist to not see something's pretty hosed up here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

gently caress all of them, IMHO.

Ban golf in Arizona, ban almonds in California. They're all acting like petulant children and they need to have their toys taken away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, also gently caress California, but Phoenix is a monument to man's hubris.

Peggy Hill isn't always right, but occasionally she gets some wood on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This is the first time Tucker's constipated-and-confused look actually makes perfect sense.

:kstarehair:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I’m open-minded, but after trying fried crickets, gently caress eating bugs. I will simply go vegan before that happens.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

https://fortune.com/2023/04/11/gen-z-millennials-relying-on-parents-financial-assistance/amp/

Article states for parents to make children stand on their own two feet for their decisions and for parents to take care of themselves. The entire article is aggravating but I think that’s the intent.

For your angertainment.

The odd thing is that it tells parents they should be assholes, and most parents don’t want to be assholes. Most parents love their kids and want to help them, even at a personal cost, and instead of saying they shouldn’t, would it not make more sense to figure out how society drove us to this point?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, they warn it will kick off the "vicious cycle" of leaving your kids financially stable enough to help you in turn if your own financial situation becomes precarious.

Oh dear, not that! Anything but that!

Like, I dunno, it seems like a huge portion of the population (both on this and other issues) has a deeply, deeply defective idea of how one should treat your own family. It's not at all healthy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Clarste posted:

Clearly she should've had a gun and shot him to death instead. Problem solved.

I don't particularly think personal handgun ownership is a worthwhile means of self-defense when looking at the obvious downsides, but arguably if you do concede there's a place for it, then a pregnant woman shooting a strange man who's aggressively following her is 100% the perfect case for a self-defensive shooting.

Especially if said strange man is literally a Walgreens simp. What a worthless form of existence, a person who would pursue a pregnant woman out of a store on suspicion of shoplifting to defend the honour and profits of Walgreens. He should welcome an end to his miserable and torturous earthly presence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

the_steve posted:

Other people already posted links to studies proving trans athletes don't have the advantage that critics claim they do, but my kneejerk reaction was "Well if you concede that trans athletes shouldn't be allowed in sports, then you're tacitly admitting that you are not a 'real' man or woman, that you are some sort of Other." and that just seems like ground you shouldn't want to give up.

It's a very toxic debate due to the current trans panic. I think there is a reasonable discussion to be had about the influence of some conditions, including but not limited to being transgender and specifically having undergone male puberty, on the fairness of certain women's sports at an elite level. Reasonable people can disagree. That's, emphatically, not what's happening here with the larger public debate, which is about eliminating trans people from the public sphere as much as possible, and I believe you're correct that until the terms of the discussion are changed, there's no reason to involve oneself in the discussion, because the other side is not operating in good faith.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Someone should come out and say it: sports scholarships are fuckin' dumb. They shouldn't exist, everyone should be able to afford college regardless of whether they are particularly adept at a given sport.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Come at the Mouse, you best not miss.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

It's going to be real fun watching DeSantis get the House of Mouse dropped on him.

"Describe what Mickey Mouse LOOKS LIKE, hyuh!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't really see how it's going to accomplish anything but if there's one bipartisan consensus, it's that we need to militarize the border

The latest I've heard from north of the border is y'all are proper upset that we have our own visa policy and don't treat our USMCA brothers like lepers, and honestly I find it vile that A) America would try to dictate Canadian visa policy and B) that you're in a wide-reaching free trade agreement with a country whose nationals you won't even allow across the loving border without a visa. That's some sick poo poo, you need to sort some things out down there!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In response to another person he was texting saying that he worried that Trump might do something crazy that could prompt a backlash against the second amendment:

You have to read this quote in the voice of Tobias Funke, it's that delusional and deranged.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Counterpoint: I think this is probably what they were concerned about, because they are more concerned about a relatively mild thing that is unquestionably racist, rather than the seventeen thousand awful dogwhistles that maintain a tiny fig leaf of respectability.

The rules are: you can imply the worst possible things imaginable, the most dreadfully racist poo poo. But if you come out and say something that can't be maneuvered around, your number is up. Tucker and Don Cherry can go have a circle-jerk about overthrowing the Canadian government, owing to their ample free time resulting from violating that one simple rule.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Zwabu posted:

How, as a rich person, do you get to arbitrarily and indefinitely put off a jail sentence?

Spend a lot of money on lawyers finding things to appeal, I think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KillHour posted:

Why the gently caress do we live in an onion parody of the real world :cripes:

The employers should go straight to prison for this poo poo, none of this "fines" bullshit. Anyone working in a managerial capacity while a literal child works at a loving slaughterhouse needs to do time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The concept of fiduciary duty gets unreasonably stretched to justify a lot of bullshit. Dodge v. Ford has become practically like the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit in terms of how often it's misrepresented.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Part of the problem with “chicken inflation” is that you can just not eat chicken. Chicken thighs $10/package? Time to dig on some pig!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Heck it's been found that cats self domesticated more than once. There's archeological evidence that two, maybe even three completely separate species of feline self-domesticated. Obviously only one won out in the end, but cats really like humans and the food they provide.

To an extent, if we observed this behaviour between two non-human species (and we do), we'd say "hey, those creatures have a symbiotic relationship!" but because humans are involved, people are like "we domesticated cats."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Homework in the flipped system doesn't need to be onerous, though. Just "hey, take 10 minutes when you can to read these pages, and jot some notes, so when we discuss it as a class you'll have a baseline understanding of what's going on and you can ask interesting, helpful questions if you don't understand part of it." That's a big difference from "do 20-30 questions for practice."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Now of course a lot of professors will “suggest” problem sets but they’re like, not gonna grade you for them or anything.

E: I’m told German engineering is super good so they must be doing something right. I dunno.

That's how it was in Canadian university too. "Here are some practice questions. Use them to evaluate your own understanding of the material and then form coherent questions to ask in office hours, instead of sucking the oxygen out of my office with vague questions like 'I don't get it.'"

EDIT: I really doubt there's a switch that flips upon high school graduation that makes people uniquely able to handle this sort of responsibility and self-direction; rather, I think the first "experience" with it is going to be rocky at any age, but I think it could realistically be introduced in an age-appropriate way much earlier.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 23, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They said group projects were preparation for real life, but in real life if I have a consistent problem with a loving moron that I'm working with, the boss will do something about said moron.

Either that or, if someone is unproductive due to work-balance issues, it all balances out eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What if the moron is the boss' nephew?

Then the boss knows he's a moron and will not expect him to do any work in the first place, so you're being assigned a task your boss thinks you can handle on your own.