Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which do you like better?
Real name
Username
My name is Goku
View Results

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My first name means I can walk around the country and pretend that a bunch of parks, streets, bridges, monuments, memorials and statues were named after me.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My real name is incredibly generic, and I love it dearly for the relative invisibility that grants.

I also use a pet form, and it irritates me when I tell someone my name and they "correct" me. It's a very good litmus test to see who is an rear end in a top hat or not.

However, I have had my username for twenty four years on some place or another. It's as much a part of my identity as anything, and my internal monologue refers to me as "VSM", rather than my real name, take of that what you will.

In the off, off chance I ever undertake a creative endeavor, my generic name will be a liability, so I intend to use a pseudonym with the VSM abbreviation.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I prefer nooner to my real name which is just that old ASCII middle finger (dad is Elon musk, don't ask)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

I prefer nooner to my real name which is just that old ASCII middle finger (dad is Elon musk, don't ask)

You're just lucky the hospital computers wouldn't accept wingdings characters for whatever he really wanted to call you before forgetting about you.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

My username is stupid videogame monkey cheese and I share real surname with a notorious right wing rear end in a top hat in my country

My names are a land of contrasts

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

tango alpha delta posted:

My first name means I can walk around the country and pretend that a bunch of parks, streets, bridges, monuments, memorials and statues were named after me.

Who names their kid MartinLutherKingJunior [Last name], your parents are whack

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

My irl name is from a horse my mom bet on at the tracks that she won a bunch of money on!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My username is my real name :\

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
my SA username I'm not terribly attached to. temped to change it to match my avatar or something.

my other username i use most places (well, a short version of it) basically feels like my real name, in my head. it's what I am most used to be referred to by, I guess? most of my socializing is online.

my legal first name is an unusual spelling of a slightly uncommon biblical name, I think. my last name is 13 fuckin characters long. anytime I need to give a receptionist or whoever my name, I just hand em my ID. easier on both of us. so ultimately not really a big fan. I hear my name spoken out loud so rarely that sometimes I forget it's referring to me.

while we're at it, how do y'all feel about the voice in your skull vs your voice via recording? my skull voice seems a lot better to me. when will they invent skull microphones?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I just changed my real name to my phone number

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Jenny?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

When people talk to you do they have to screech like a modern or can they just say the numbers

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Both feel extremely ehhh so they match me pretty well.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 29, 2023

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Light Gun Man posted:

while we're at it, how do y'all feel about the voice in your skull vs your voice via recording? my skull voice seems a lot better to me. when will they invent skull microphones?

I think most people hate hearing their own voice. I absolutely do

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Kablooey posted:

When people talk to you do they have to screech like a modern or can they just say the numbers

Yes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Light Gun Man posted:

Mine is way higher pitched than I hear it. I sound like a ditzy child, but it makes customer service calls more friendly. Maybe a little more condescending, but ultimately helpful.

I do wonder how deep people with already deep voices hear themselves. What the gently caress is Patrick Page's inner voice like?!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

They're tied together so no difference for me

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I like my username better

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Das Boo posted:

Mine is way higher pitched than I hear it. I sound like a ditzy child, but it makes customer service calls more friendly. Maybe a little more condescending, but ultimately helpful.

I do wonder how deep people with already deep voices hear themselves. What the gently caress is Patrick Page's inner voice like?!

I have a really deep voice, I actually perceive it as higher pitched than it really is. I'll be thinking I'm sounding normal and people who don't know me will tell me to "feel better soon" because they think I'm sick from my voice being deep and gravelly. I dunno how it is for other people, but it resonates a lot in my head, I get headaches really quickly if I yell.

And it's funny you mention the customer service thing because no matter how much I try to pitch my voice up and sound obsequious people will always think I'm being aggressive or an rear end in a top hat. There's two sides to it basically, if people are just speaking to you on regular terms, they typically find a deep voice attractive, or if you're in a position of authority it makes people listen to you more even if you have no loving clue what you're talking about, people immediately are more likely to believe you even if you say dumb poo poo; but then there are situations where people will hate you for it, so retail was just absolute garbage. Dudes would come up to the counter and pitch their voice lower (I'm gonna be generous and say I think probably subconsciously) to match my register, immediately after they said hi with a much higher, regular tone lol, and old ladies would always think I was being rude. Generally younger women didn't seem to have an issue with it, but everyone else it was a completely mixed bag.

The fact that I have a southern accent is of course a double whammy lmfao. I think the worst part of having a deep voice though is that people don't hear you in loud places or if there are a lot of people talking at once. It's surprising because you think that free projection you get from having a booming voice would make it easier for people to hear you, but your bass rumble just blends into people's conversations and they'll talk over you without even noticing.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
They are both good names, why do I have to chose one

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what is a name but a miserable pile of letters

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Squee posted:

They are both good names, why do I have to chose one

OP is killing people

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I hated my birth name but when I came out as trans I got to choose my own name, and I love it now. :3:

My SA username was given to me in a "mspaint and I will give you a new username" thread, and I like it for that. I also recently changed my non-sa username to something I liked better than my old nickname that was given by old Ragnarok Online guildmates.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I have a really deep voice, I actually perceive it as higher pitched than it really is. I'll be thinking I'm sounding normal and people who don't know me will tell me to "feel better soon" because they think I'm sick from my voice being deep and gravelly. I dunno how it is for other people, but it resonates a lot in my head, I get headaches really quickly if I yell.

And it's funny you mention the customer service thing because no matter how much I try to pitch my voice up and sound obsequious people will always think I'm being aggressive or an rear end in a top hat. There's two sides to it basically, if people are just speaking to you on regular terms, they typically find a deep voice attractive, or if you're in a position of authority it makes people listen to you more even if you have no loving clue what you're talking about, people immediately are more likely to believe you even if you say dumb poo poo; but then there are situations where people will hate you for it, so retail was just absolute garbage. Dudes would come up to the counter and pitch their voice lower (I'm gonna be generous and say I think probably subconsciously) to match my register, immediately after they said hi with a much higher, regular tone lol, and old ladies would always think I was being rude. Generally younger women didn't seem to have an issue with it, but everyone else it was a completely mixed bag.

The fact that I have a southern accent is of course a double whammy lmfao. I think the worst part of having a deep voice though is that people don't hear you in loud places or if there are a lot of people talking at once. It's surprising because you think that free projection you get from having a booming voice would make it easier for people to hear you, but your bass rumble just blends into people's conversations and they'll talk over you without even noticing.

Interesting! I'd like to know exactly how the reverb works; I've always heard the pitch is lower inside your head, so it's cool to hear that's not actually the case. I got questions!

The bit about dudes trying to match your voice is hilarious. I also have what I call a "room temperature" voice, so I wonder if there isn't a frequency for each register that just gets swallowed by a room? The worst is when someone repeats something you said, louder, and gets a response but doesn't credit you.

And Southern accent buddy. :(:hf::(

Space Kablooey posted:

Ragnarok Online

:):hf::)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Das Boo posted:

Interesting! I'd like to know exactly how the reverb works; I've always heard the pitch is lower inside your head, so it's cool to hear that's not actually the case. I got questions!

The bit about dudes trying to match your voice is hilarious. I also have what I call a "room temperature" voice, so I wonder if there isn't a frequency for each register that just gets swallowed by a room? The worst is when someone repeats something you said, louder, and gets a response but doesn't credit you.

And Southern accent buddy. :(:hf::(

:):hf::)

I'm prob a weird case with pitch because I have a prosthetic in the inner ear of my right ear and the hearing in that ear is funky asf.

Where ur accent from?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Eastern KY. It's a bit of a drawl, but really noticeable that I drop my G's.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Space Kablooey posted:

I hated my birth name but when I came out as trans I got to choose my own name, and I love it now. :3:

My SA username was given to me in a "mspaint and I will give you a new username" thread, and I like it for that. I also recently changed my non-sa username to something I liked better than my old nickname that was given by old Ragnarok Online guildmates.

I actually like your username. It's one that gets a sensible chuckle from me when I see you posting in threads, along with Groovelord Neato and Panic At The Tesco

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I actually like your username. It's one that gets a sensible chuckle from me when I see you posting in threads, along with Groovelord Neato and Panic At The Tesco

aw :kimchi:

Wow it's pretty hard to find other RO players, I had no idea! :cheersbird:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Das Boo posted:

Eastern KY. It's a bit of a drawl, but really noticeable that I drop my G's.

Lol Louisiana here, still have to stop myself from pronouncing poo poo like "burger" as "buiguh"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I want you to go in that bag and find my wallet.

It’s the one that says Bad Purchase on it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i find the inside your head voice thing weird. i HATE hearing my recorded voice when speaking, but i think it's fine if i'm singing.

but my inside my head voice is fine for speaking, but i don't like it for singing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Das Boo posted:

I usually perceive my own voice as a husky Kathleen Turner voice, but then I hear it in a recording and I actually sound like a 14 year old boy or something.

edit:

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i find the inside your head voice thing weird. i HATE hearing my recorded voice when speaking, but i think it's fine if i'm singing.

The funny thing about this is that I'm totally fine with my singing voice but I recorded myself rapping just out of curiosity, and it turned out that I (a Black person) sounded like a racist white person imitating a Black person. :cripes:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 29, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

YeahTubaMike posted:

The funny thing about this is that I'm totally fine with my singing voice but I recorded myself rapping just out of curiosity, and it turned out that I (a Black person) sounded like a racist white person imitating a Black person. :cripes:

lmao that's incredible

i would never try to record any rapping because even when done "well" i think rapping with a scottish accent sounds cringe. and if i put on an american accent i'd also sound like a racist white person imitating a black person lol

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I usually perceive my own voice as a husky Kathleen Turner voice, but then I hear it in a recording and I actually sound like a 14 year old boy or something.

edit:

A 54 year old white dude singing your post into a vocal track to be chopped up into a rap is far, far, far more cringe worthy.

Behold:

https://soundcloud.com/user-7104377...=social_sharing

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lmao that's incredible

i would never try to record any rapping because even when done "well" i think rapping with a scottish accent sounds cringe. and if i put on an american accent i'd also sound like a racist white person imitating a black person lol

Is Gaelic Rap a thing? Because it actually sounds like kind of loving cool concept.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

A 54 year old white dude singing your post into a vocal track to be chopped up into a rap is far, far, far more cringe worthy.

Behold:

:stare:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Behold:

I refuse to listen to this. I can only take so much cringe during one day.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Is Gaelic Rap a thing? Because it actually sounds like kind of loving cool concept.

dunno if enough folk speak it these days. google says 60k people do so maybe there's someone out there rapping in it. can't imagine there's many young people in that 60k though. it's more old people living in remote areas or islands probably.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I got a boring rear end real name, so forums name wins by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Having heard exactly one synthwave track sang and rapped in Irish, i can tell you that yes it is a thing and yes, it sucks exactly as much as you'd expect it to.