Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My “doing it the hard way” story: in BotW I somehow didn’t notice that the embers on the torch change direction, or didn’t realize it was significant, or something - so I spent probably a good hour doing trial and error, memorizing which trees to turn at and which direction would or wouldn’t warp me back to the start :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Not only did I not clear the storm to do Mineru's quest, I also found the shrine without clearing the storm clouds because I thought brute forcing it would be faster (I hadn't even started the Ring Ruins quest by that point so I was probably right). Clearing the storm was one of the last things I did on my run.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's funny how different people's experience with the game can be. I didn't even notice the lightning cloud island until the story sent me there cause I was busy in other parts of the world. But I also did a bunch of crazy poo poo most people didn't do like climb all the way to the Wind temple without the sage (not on purpose, I flat out missed him on the way) and then spend hours wondering why I can't progress through it lol. I also put off Lookout Landing for a while to go chase something shiny. I spent the first 20 hours thinking this game was capital H Hard when I fact I just ignored some signposts that would have set me on the path to a normal experience.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I beat it and never did the ring ruins because I found that quest infuriating at the beginning. I can phase shift through the ceiling and jump off platforms one thousand feet high but that annoying old guy can stop me from getting into the ruins?

I did mineru out of order and really loved traversing the storm island like that, it felt really cool going through that quest with no context. I think it was also one of the first things I did in the depths.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JackBandit posted:

I did mineru out of order and really loved traversing the storm island like that, it felt really cool going through that quest with no context. I think it was also one of the first things I did in the depths.

This is exactly why I was mad when I realized I had spent hours climbing up to the wind temple (which is a bitch without the sage ability!) only to run into a "you did this in the wrong order try again idiot" wall. I wasn't trying to do things out of order, I just did. And instead of supporting that as the game does in so many other areas I was hard stuck and it felt bad. I hadn't played BotW so it wasn't obvious to me I would have a posse of buddies who are necessary to progress. I was just going where the game told me to go, up toward this temple :shrug:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I found the Spirit Temple long before I know it was even a “thing” and well before I could’ve unlocked it, and I distinctly remember thinking “yeah, this is definitely somewhere I’m supposed to go later on in the game”

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I also entered the thundercloud early. I think I used enduring meals and the paraglider. Took the item to it's destination, realized, "hey, this is that thing from the trailer," and decided to go back to the main quest line until Purah mentioned it, because I decided I didn't want to sequence break on a first playthrough.

I did wind up accidentally skipping an entire floor of the Lightning Temple with Ascend. Didn't realize it until I saw unfamiliar parts of it in a YouTube video weeks later.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

My “doing it the hard way” story: in BotW I somehow didn’t notice that the embers on the torch change direction, or didn’t realize it was significant, or something - so I spent probably a good hour doing trial and error, memorizing which trees to turn at and which direction would or wouldn’t warp me back to the start :v:
Huh, it never occurred to me to look at the embers, I just watched which way the fog was blowing.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
A true Champion has just arrived :stare:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I couldn't understand the trigger for the ring quest until after I had beaten the game lmao (i had gotten Mineru several dozen hours before that, specifically to do the dupe glitch. A coworker had told me about "oh yeah, you get the fifth sage and it becomes a lot easier" so after that i had no qualms just googling where in the world to go to get that and i powered through the storm)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I cleared the storm and went back up there to clear the other islands which are still covered by a constant lightning storm. Good thing I had the lightning helm. So I found the extra shrine, a sage's will, an old map, and some other bullshit.

I can now say it's actually much easier just to fly to Dragonhead Isle (it's the lowest of the chain) storm or no storm. You know the thin pointy bit that sticks out at the bottom? You just gotta land on that and ascend straight up, and there you are. But, come to think of it, I didn't just paraglide. I used a fan plane which fell apart halfway and glided the rest. I think that's how I did it.

I guess I get why they did it, but it's kind of annoying that planes fall apart mid flight when you still have like 80% of your battery left. I guess they didn't want people fan planing around everywhere, but you can still build a hoverbike which supposedly doesn't do this.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Huh, it never occurred to me to look at the embers, I just watched which way the fog was blowing.

I looked up at the clouds, and if I remember right there was a musical/audio cue that told you when you needed to change direction so I got through by racing forward, abruptly staring at the sky to see which way the clouds had started moving, then abruptly changing direction and racing off again.

I thought it was a very nice evolution from OoT, which had the mist and the musical cues to lead you through.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

IF I ever play this game a second time (lol. lmao.) I'll get Mineru first. I did things the 'intended' way my first time and I thought it was actually pretty cool that way, but she's so useful for general purpose exploring, mining, and the bow thing, that I'd really like to put her to use that much sooner. Just need those ten hearts I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I got the Master Sword before I found any of the Tears. I don't remember how many temples I had finished but at one point I saw the Light Dragon passing by when I was on a sky island so I said gently caress it and jumped and glided to land on her since this was an entirely new dragon in the series and I was curious.