Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can't believe this game is only like a month and a half away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Someone’s going to invent something loving around in TotK that will end up changing the world

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

When I saw the fusion power I thought it might make the fights too easy. Then I realized I don't actually care about that it looks fun as hell.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

External Organs posted:

Badass thread!! And quoting myself from a few days ago in the other thread:

I've been hearing insanely positive stuff, and that the game doesn't really get to Bayo even meeting Luka, so I'm insanely hyped. But I'm a Bayonetta fan, meaning I love action games, of course I wanna try this strange puzzle-y combat zelda like, but not the week before the father of Bayo's genre, RESIDENT EVIL 4, came out. Which will tide me until Tears of the Kingdom comes out. Which will last me well until Final Fantasy 16 comes out. Maybe I'll try Bayonetta Origins in the gap before Spider-man 2.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm glad all of you will be enjoying a survival craft open world game. If you are interested in other games in this genre to prep you can try minecraft, terraria, 7 days to die, stranded deep, or No Man's Sky. Those should help you get a feel for what the genre is like.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't believe the old thread ran out of durability finally

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MokBa posted:

Someone’s going to invent something loving around in TotK that will end up changing the world

"in tears of the kingdom" is going to replace "in minecraft"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Didn’t the 3DS Zelda game, A Link Between Worlds, also reuse the LttP Light World and Dark World maps? If they put in the same amount of work remixing the BotW Hyrule map as they did with those maps in that game then I would be perfectly fine with that.

That said I am wishing that I completed the game longer ago rather than trying to complete it now to have the map be a little fresher.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Chronojam posted:

I can't believe the old thread ran out of durability finally

It was by far the longest a Zelda megathread ever lasted. Truly the Hylian Shield of Zelda threads, but even a Hylian Shield can break eventually.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 29, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Should have fused it to a mushroom.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Augus posted:

can't believe this game is only like a month and a half away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPwDYhPE_bw

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Ytlaya posted:

One other thing I noticed is that the "battery power" of the engine things doesn't seem sufficient to actually travel from the surface to the sky islands*, which makes me think that one part of the trailer with the flying machine was likely "it flying from one island to another" instead of "flying from the ground up to an island."

one of the vehicles in the trailer had a glowing crystal, which seems like it could be the power source. the 'zonai charge' dropped by one of the constructs could easily be related to recharging things too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The things in this video were definitely babby's frist zonai constructs. The things we saw in the last trailer seemed more advanced, and that crystal is definitely some sort of power source for longterm use.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

fuse that big mouthed kid on to a claymore

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
New Link is a good boy who can see the sky.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I hope the sky map stuff is just full of clever callbacks to previous Zelda games. Like maybe some of those old dungeons/locations were buried but somewhat preserved in the ground.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

Guess i should finally go back and finish botw. Somehow i got several hundred hours without actually bothering to get the Master Sword, let alone face Gannon.

Started up my last save file from December 2020

Two divine beasts done, think I've unlocked all the towers

Not sure where I am in whatever immediate questline I'm in but I seem to have stopped in Death Mountain

Forgot many of the controls, only batting about .500 vs spider lasers

Guess I'm too far gone to restart but dang it's going to take some work to get my feet back under me

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MokBa posted:

Forgot to credit Asterite34 with the thread title. “Can you fuse the dog” and “FUUUUUUSE me, Princess” were very close runnerups as well.

Hey glad to know I almost made it :unsmith:

I am so loving stoked for this game. I'm not disappointed at all that it has the same map with add-ons- I wanted a sequel to BOTW and this is it. It's also really am blown away at just how smooth the transition from dropping from a sky island to the ground is- the Switch is drat long in the tooth and was never a real powerhouse to begin with, so seeing there be no stuttering or obvious loading was beautiful.

I'm really curious on what kind of superweapons will be taking the place of such things as ancient arrows- since as far as I can tell Shieka tech is nowhere to be seen and we will be dealing with the even older(?) Zonai technologies and abilities, will there be some kind of weird material that you can fuse to an arrow to make it into a one-shot killer?

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Looking forward to this game, but really hope they start bringing back old Zelda elements in future entries. I miss old dungeons and items that don't feel disposable.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey glad to know I almost made it :unsmith:

I am so loving stoked for this game. I'm not disappointed at all that it has the same map with add-ons- I wanted a sequel to BOTW and this is it. It's also really am blown away at just how smooth the transition from dropping from a sky island to the ground is- the Switch is drat long in the tooth and was never a real powerhouse to begin with, so seeing there be no stuttering or obvious loading was beautiful.

yeah that was the most impressive part of the demo by far. there were no "tricks" to it, you didn't have to slowly squeeze through a narrow passage while the game hid a load, it wasn't a scripted moment or tied to an environmental feature

though it did kind of remind me of Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy. hopefully there are easy ways to get back up. maybe you'll be able to Recall yourself or something

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

One thing that I'm super excited about now is puzzles. I love BotW's approach, every puzzle feels so tactile, like you're a kid playing with toys (even if a few shrines were a tad undercooked). They seem to expanding that even further. I imagine dungeons will have the tools you need for a necessary vehicle locked away behind smaller puzzles or combat, but you'll be able to skip some pieces with cleverness and a touch of jank.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Great detailed OP! I just wanna say we do know the fourth ability, it's Recall. They use it early in the trailer to rewind a fallen object to ride it back up in the sky. Finally, a Tenet game.

While everyone is (reasonably) excited about the Fuse/Ultrahand abilities, I'm curious about the potential uses of Recall. It's hard for me to think of many off the top of my head, but I'm sure there will be a bunch. Maybe you can Rewind enemies to send them back away from you? There will probably be rocks rolling off of mountains periodically as a method to climb them.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

One thing that I'm super excited about now is puzzles. I love BotW's approach, every puzzle feels so tactile, like you're a kid playing with toys (even if a few shrines were a tad undercooked). They seem to expanding that even further. I imagine dungeons will have the tools you need for a necessary vehicle locked away behind smaller puzzles or combat, but you'll be able to skip some pieces with cleverness and a touch of jank.

Despite being kind of critical of BotW's lack of "things to find," I like the shrines a lot. It's always exciting seeing what puzzle the next one has in store, and they get pretty creative with some of them (in ways that I kind of wish were integrated more outside of optional side content).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Mister Facetious posted:

Nice, a Nuts & Bolts reference

I wonder how all of the Rare people feel when the response to Nuts & Bolts was primarily confusion and upset but now this has huge excitement with people referencing N&B.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder how often we'll be pulling the camera low to see the sky to scan for islands or if you end up just on long sky adventures from island to island.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shiroc posted:

I wonder how all of the Rare people feel when the response to Nuts & Bolts was primarily confusion and upset but now this has huge excitement with people referencing N&B.

They created the Wind Waker of Banjo Kazooie and were hated for it because people can't let go of the 64 games, despite them being full of nineties jank

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the problem with nuts and bolts was that it was a racing game and not a “loving around exploring with your cool gadgets” game. the missions were really bad.

like I actually remember when the vehicles were revealed thinking it was a really cool idea to expand the scope of exploration but then I was let down when the game was mainly focused on really dull and repetitive time trials

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 29, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Wondering if stamina won't be as important because so much of your vertical traversal will be with the abilities. Perhaps you can choose to upgrade hearts, stamina, or battery life?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One of the Sky Islands better be Literally Skyloft.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Wondering if stamina won't be as important because so much of your vertical traversal will be with the abilities. Perhaps you can choose to upgrade hearts, stamina, or battery life?

Fine with me, i was one of those players that bee-lined straight for the master sword first, before increasing my stamina.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

While everyone is (reasonably) excited about the Fuse/Ultrahand abilities, I'm curious about the potential uses of Recall. It's hard for me to think of many off the top of my head, but I'm sure there will be a bunch. Maybe you can Rewind enemies to send them back away from you? There will probably be rocks rolling off of mountains periodically as a method to climb them.

The E3 2021 trailer showed Link using what we now know to be Recall on a spiked metal ball rolled downhill towards him from a gang of Bokoblins/Moblins, so it’ll definitely be a part of combat as well as exploration

Also it’s cool as hell to go back and watch that trailer knowing what we know now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shiroc posted:

One of the Sky Islands better be Literally Skyloft.

With Groose's skeleton.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Shiroc posted:

Well for one, the vehicle building stuff in ToTK is just a side thing to complement the core gameplay of a Zelda game, not the entire game itself.
Also ToTK doesn't seem to constantly insult anyone that liked older Zelda games at the same time so that's another thing its got going.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I want to know what those weird wooden ramp looking things were in front of the stables. My money is on being able to FUSE some SPICY GINGER to HORSE'S ARSEHOLE to make them roar into life and whizz up the ramp to take you to the skylands.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

the problem with nuts and bolts was that it was a racing game and not a “loving around exploring with your cool gadgets” game. the missions were really bad.

like I actually remember when the vehicles were revealed thinking it was a really cool idea to expand the scope of exploration but then I was let down when the game was mainly focused on really dull and repetitive time trials

this is why I think the devs probably excited to see another game try to incorporate the concept, they surely have their own ideas of what went wrong and right and what they'd design differently next time, if they were given one. I enjoyed the lego vehicle aspect of it a ton, had a lot of fun making weird things and just seeing if they work or function, but it was just idle fun since they almost never were specifically useful for races or the other stuff around. For the non-race activities your best bet was always to just make the most basic purple bucket with just as much structure and power and doohickies as required by that task. I ended up enjoying some of the worst tasks just because my abominations could is some very sloppy way get the job done of moving thingy from point A to B or whatever.

You also had to get out of your vehicle very often, but for nothing interesting. Mostly it's to talk to a Jinjos to get quests, press button, go through door, or sticking a box into your tray.

Curious to see some weird creations, I found this 13 year old video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMKUlwWq1tU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
Anyone have any good Zelda podcast recommendations?

I watch Zeltik's vids on YouTube and really enjoy the balance of them between gameplay and lore discussion.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Hogama posted:

Minimap symbols are interesting here...

good thing there's an apple mapped to one of the hotkeys.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gonna pronounce this tares of the kingdom while streaming or talking games to cause convulsions in every nerd within hearing distance

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game is going to lead to a lot of Youtube videos with titles like "Can you beat Tears of the Kingdom with just a mushroom?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mourning Due posted:

Anyone have any good Zelda podcast recommendations?

I watch Zeltik's vids on YouTube and really enjoy the balance of them between gameplay and lore discussion.

Another Zelda podcast is good, everyone involved just seems super friendly, and they're fans, not experts. Different fun themes and respectful top ten lists.