Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I did Eventide in TotK this evening and did in fact get a blood moon right after I killed the last one on the pirate ship, but luckily they don't respawn.

My goal all along was to find razorclaw crabs which led me to the message in a bottle, where I ignored the brightbloom trail and went straight to Eventide. After killing all the monsters I flew on the stupid glider for Falco and his RA, tried to get up to the sky island and couldn't, so I went and found the dude stuck in a cave, then I worked my way around the shore looking for crabs, killed some boss bokoblins, found a memory, and liberated Lurelin village, found a shrine in a cave, and stopped there. Still not a single crab!

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I died on Eventide and when I went back it didn’t take all my stuff from me. Must have been a bug? Anyway it was easy, suck it losers.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I found crabs are best spotted along beaches on the mainland near the spiral

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe there are 120 shrines in botw. I've only found like less than 70 and I've been what feels like everywhere. Now if I can only find out what I need to do in the level 2 region of death mountain, cause my elixirs aren't cutting it. Someone told me someone at the foothills stable would know but they ain't tell me poo poo (again, wanna find out on my own).

Having a much easier time with the Lynels now that I'm practicing the dodge techniques I've been ignoring most of the game. Weapon durability still stupid.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I decided to clear the persistent thunderstorm so I flew to the sky island in the hurricane thinking I'd fight an octorok controlling a weather machine or something and now I'm about to make a robot body for a ghost and it dawns on me I might be doing something "out of order" here.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I cant believe there are 120 shrines in botw. I've only found like less than 70 and I've been what feels like everywhere. Now if I can only find out what I need to do in the level 2 region of death mountain, cause my elixirs aren't cutting it. Someone told me someone at the foothills stable would know but they ain't tell me poo poo (again, wanna find out on my own).

Having a much easier time with the Lynels now that I'm practicing the dodge techniques I've been ignoring most of the game. Weapon durability still stupid.

In BotW you should just buy the DLC, it gives you a bunch of features that are standard in TotK but also some fun additional quests. The "hero's path" feature allows you to see everywhere you have walked on the map and is very useful for finding the remaining shrines.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I always forget Hero's Path was paid DLC the first time around. It's so fundamental to exploring, I should probably be madder about it, but at least the DLC has enough content to be worth buying aside from that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I feel that BotW is somewhat incomplete without the DLC. Since many of its features were just included in TotK, they should just make it free at this point.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I decided to clear the persistent thunderstorm so I flew to the sky island in the hurricane thinking I'd fight an octorok controlling a weather machine or something and now I'm about to make a robot body for a ghost and it dawns on me I might be doing something "out of order" here.

Haha I’m at the same spot. I’ve had the feeling I’ve been playing out of order the entire game and feel like it’s glitched in spots cause of it too. I like TotK but the more I play it the more I recognize how much of a masterpiece Breath of the Wild is. Just a perfect game.

Sure hope that I don’t go through all the finding the ghost parts just to get another hat or something…

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can actually go down and fight Ganon without doing basically any of the main quests, just like in BotW (which never really sat right in my brain for some reason). When you do the main quest out of order it just inserts little lines of dialogue like "Oh, you already got/found ____! Great!"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It can be really funny sometimes too, IIRC there's one NPC that hypes himself up to go kill some nearby monster and if you've already killed it when you talk to him he'll just be like "oh you...you already went and killed it? That's...that's great. Good job. :sigh:"

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can actually go down and fight Ganon without doing basically any of the main quests, just like in BotW (which never really sat right in my brain for some reason). When you do the main quest out of order it just inserts little lines of dialogue like "Oh, you already got/found ____! Great!"

Its weird how the game lets you do everything without getting the paraglider except getting the fifth sage.

You can get all the way through the thunderhead isles and have enough hearts to open the door and it just says "hey kiddo, you aren't supposed to be here yet".

I can't think of anything after that point that requires the paraglider either, which makes it even weirder.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As someone who loved Legacy of the Wizard for showing off it's big bad dragon early in its dungeon, early access to Ganon scratches a satisfying dare in my brain.

I also appreciate that, while Ganon in BotW is sitting in Hyrule Castle waiting to rumble, TotK Ganon has that Lynel bodyguard to send noobs packing. Sure, both Ganons are more difficult without prep time, but that Lynel felt like more of a "gently caress off until you're actually ready" than BotW's guardians.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only thing I feel that's missing in ToTK compared to BoTW is that there isn't some quest that allows the master sword to not run out of energy (I never finished it in BoTW though)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only thing I feel that's missing in ToTK compared to BoTW is that there isn't some quest that allows the master sword to not run out of energy (I never finished it in BoTW though)

If you are talking about Trial of the Sword, that didn't make the Master Sword invincible, but it did give it the most durability out of any weapon in the game by far.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

codo27 posted:

If you don't want to know then why blog post about it to other people?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Icedude posted:

Its weird how the game lets you do everything without getting the paraglider except getting the fifth sage.

You can get all the way through the thunderhead isles and have enough hearts to open the door and it just says "hey kiddo, you aren't supposed to be here yet".

I can't think of anything after that point that requires the paraglider either, which makes it even weirder.

I've only done that Wind Temple and Water Temple and I didn't clear the thunderstorm but I didn't get anything blocking me from proceeding. Although, I stopped at the point where Mineru asked me to build her a body because it was bed time - so maybe I haven't encountered the roadblock yet? It actually wasn't it difficult to get to Mineru despite the thunderstorm. I just glided to what looked like the island in the middle, landed at the very bottom pointy bit, then ascended up and I was in the room with the shrine that connects to the room with the laser head that has Mineru's spirit or whatever. What was the prerequisite for this supposed to be? Just the paraglider?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

What was the prerequisite for this supposed to be? Just the paraglider?

You're already past the prereqs.

Gameplay-wise the only thing hard locking you out of that is requiring the paraglider (otherwise you get told to come back later when you try to take the mask) and the door requiring a certain number of hearts. There is another quest to raise the thunder clouds but that just makes it easier to see.

I don't think you can ascend into the room with the mask itself behind the heart door, but there's noithing stopping you getting to the shrine other than finding it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you are talking about Trial of the Sword, that didn't make the Master Sword invincible, but it did give it the most durability out of any weapon in the game by far.

I am and I guess by never finishing the trial of the sword showed my misunderstanding of it's results (goddamned Lizalfos level! :argh: )

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Icedude posted:

You're already past the prereqs.

Gameplay-wise the only thing hard locking you out of that is requiring the paraglider (otherwise you get told to come back later when you try to take the mask) and the door requiring a certain number of hearts. There is another quest to raise the thunder clouds but that just makes it easier to see.

I don't think you can ascend into the room with the mask itself behind the heart door, but there's noithing stopping you getting to the shrine other than finding it.

That's funny, because you don't need the paraglider and can't use it to get the head down anyway. You need to attach it to a wing and there's like 5 of them and a bunch of fans and control sticks along with a launching pad right there. I actually paraglided down without the head twice and was like, wtf, why is the laser disappearing and then I was like oh, I need to carry the head.

I didn't realize the ring ruins quest cleared the storm. I don't know why I never completed it. I kept getting shooed away from the ruins and then I saw the two codgers arguing about defense vs. offense, so I killed the monsters, but then the codgers disappeared, and I couldn't be bothered to find them because I was on a mission to collect frogs or something and just went on my way.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think what would make this game even better is if they swapped out a bunch of the caves for dungeons. Its a perfect way to railroad you in a specific sequence of events without feeling too forced since using the warp would bring you to the top of the mountain.

Combine and connect the caves into dungeons that then become shortcuts for good farming areas to make it worth it. Like, if you had a cave system for every major race that guarantees a spawn point for unblighted versions of those sets or good areas to farm for associated gear (like fireproof armor and the like).

There's too many caves that are just a few horroblins and maybe a shield when they could just be joined together with heavier puzzle and enemy elements.

They don't even need to have a boss. Just a scaled up version of an enemy in both size and attack/def

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The thing about the game not being linear is there's still obviously an intended order, just not a lot of guidance as to what the order should be. You're hit with a bunch of main quest objectives as soon as you hit Lookout Landing and in my case, I just completely bypassed some things I was supposed to do "first" - although I did do the Wind Temple first, so I guess the game hints worked on me for that. I don't think there's a perfect formula for this, and it doesn't seem to matter for the most part. But you take Zelda 1, for instance, where they at least numbered the dungeons so you knew when you were getting ahead of yourself.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I am and I guess by never finishing the trial of the sword showed my misunderstanding of it's results (goddamned Lizalfos level! :argh: )

For what its worth, that room is the hardest in all the Trials (excluding master mode).

Just find and save a couple of Ancient Arrows for the end. :clint:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Veg posted:

For what its worth, that room is the hardest in all the Trials (excluding master mode).

Just find and save a couple of Ancient Arrows for the end. :clint:

Yeah I should give it a go again; it's been a couple years since I've done so.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Read a guide for trial of the sword. Even then it’s still challenging as hell. I did it on normal, couldn’t pass the Lizalfos on Master mode.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I kind of wonder if this game really gets that much out of it's non-linearity. For example, there is a definite order to the story told by the tears of the dragon, and if you find them in the wrong order, the story isn't as impactful. Railroading can be good sometimes.

Also, I thought it was really weird that I learned where Zelda was by getting all of the tears of the dragon, but Link can't tell anyone. A bunch of characters will constantly talk about "Where is Zelda? Could she be in the depths? Maybe she's on this mountain?" and Link can't simply say "No, she's the light dragon." Would it have even been that hard to add in dialog where the characters say, "oh, well I guess that isn't Zelda on the mountain, but could you please figure out what's going on with the Gorons anyway? It seems really bad."

The master sword in this game should be one of the strongest incarnations of the master sword ever, given that it was just marinating inside a holy dragon for over 10,000 years, and yet it seems surprisingly weak. It breaks really quickly and they did the "the enchantment needs time to recharge", gimmick again, I guess for game balance reasons.

I guess these aren't the most original thoughts about this game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The botw/totk Link is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Accepting that makes the games vibe a lot better imo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I figured the master sword would be mediocre again. In BotW it's useful when fighting guardians but otherwise you might as well just use it as an ore hammer. And then they gave it a beam attack but as far as I could tell it was like, completely ineffective.

I'm actually irritated at the lightscale trident(s). loving thing costs like what, three diamonds plus five flints and a zora spear? And it's just as durable as any other spear from what I can tell. WTF. Maybe I wasn't supposed to fuse something to it? Too bad because spears are my favorite weapon type.

I also found the biggoron sword but I haven't really used it much because I'm sure it will break and at least I know where to get a new lightscale trident. I don't even know if you can get the sword fixed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I figured the master sword would be mediocre again. In BotW it's useful when fighting guardians but otherwise you might as well just use it as an ore hammer. And then they gave it a beam attack but as far as I could tell it was like, completely ineffective.

I'm actually irritated at the lightscale trident(s). loving thing costs like what, three diamonds plus five flints and a zora spear? And it's just as durable as any other spear from what I can tell. WTF. Maybe I wasn't supposed to fuse something to it? Too bad because spears are my favorite weapon type.

I also found the biggoron sword but I haven't really used it much because I'm sure it will break and at least I know where to get a new lightscale trident. I don't even know if you can get the sword fixed.

You can re buy it from the poe merchant

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Martman posted:

The botw/totk Link is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Accepting that makes the games vibe a lot better imo

He's just mute. That's why he can't correct anyone.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Master Sword in BotW felt badass because of the awesome clanging sound it made as you sliced up guardians.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I felt like both BotW and TotK significantly improve when you get the Master Sword. Once I got it I used it until it needed to recharge every time. I think it's partially because I hate the two handed weapons that don't allow you to use the shield and are slow so always having a powerful sword on hand was nice.

Martman posted:

Absolutely. So many of the side quests are some NPC being like "oh, if only I could _____" like its their lifelong goal and then Link just does it easily and takes a photo of it or shows off the treasure he got from it.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

That makes me wonder... Why is it only Link and the Yiga clan that have zonai devices, besides that one rail platform at Tarry town?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

That makes me wonder... Why is it only Link and the Yiga clan that have zonai devices, besides that one rail platform at Tarry town?

Because most people in Hyrule are dumber than a box of rocks. As noted above, how many of the side quests are like “o woe is me, if only I could cook a carrot”? You think this MFer is gonna figure out how to operate ancient advanced technology

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

]
Also, I thought it was really weird that I learned where Zelda was by getting all of the tears of the dragon, but Link can't tell anyone. A bunch of characters will constantly talk about "Where is Zelda? Could she be in the depths? Maybe she's on this mountain?" and Link can't simply say "No, she's the light dragon."

I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure similar to the Koroks, only the pure of heart can see the dragons. Link rolling up to say "oh hey yeah that person who looks just like Zelda isn't Zelda, that's Zelda" *points at empty sky* would just make rock-eating sword-breaking Link look more insane.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

What Docjowles said.

Also the Yiga have been dicking around with Zonai Tech since you kicked Kohga's rear end into the pit in BoTW. The rest of Hyrule had to wait for it all to fall from the sky in the Upheaval.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spears definitely ftw. Too bad their damage is so low to offset how versatile and fast they are. And that you cant use them 1H with a shield :argh:

So does the master sword not break, but just have to "recharge" as someone said above? I gotta be getting close to being able to pull it out but I'm just leaving it figuring I might as well save it for the end game. Guardians are trivial at this point anyway. I dont even mind the Yiga popping up since I did their quest. Guys are pushovers and are free money basically. I've only had one of the bigger guys appear and even they ain't nothin to sweat 1v1.

Loaded my game yesterday and found myself atop the Eldin tower. Sighed a little bit remembering I was kinda stuck. Said gently caress it and started traipsing up the hill towards death mountain, eventually found what I needed to advance. Boy oh boy I wish they didn't make things like interacting with the great fairies so tedious. The amount of time it takes to upgrade a set of armor is unreal, you should be able to skip through much faster. And then things like using the camera, and whats normally the back button suddenly becomes the selfie button...just heinous.

I've read posts about the caves and sky islands in Tears, how close is the main overworld to how its presented in BotW?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

codo27 posted:

So does the master sword not break, but just have to "recharge" as someone said above? I gotta be getting close to being able to pull it out but I'm just leaving it figuring I might as well save it for the end game.
Correct. It "breaks" but stays in your inventory, greyed out, and has a cooldown then it comes back. It's fun, go get it whenever you want and don't worry about doing it too early.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I felt like both BotW and TotK significantly improve when you get the Master Sword. Once I got it I used it until it needed to recharge every time. I think it's partially because I hate the two handed weapons that don't allow you to use the shield and are slow so always having a powerful sword on hand was nice.

Yeah two handed weapons are fine for very specific things (spin and win) but dogshit slow, I rarely wanted to use them in BoTW and get sick of them in ToTK as well. My go-to weapon of choice in BoTW after the Master Sword were lizalfos tri-blades. Very fast to hit, does decent damage, and the added ability to use as a boomerang. When I would run out of them I would make it a point to go to the various areas those lizard bastards would hang out at so I could wipe them out and get more of their tri-blades. I was disappointed to find out that the blades don't exist in ToTK honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Link is an asexual monster fighting machine who only cares about food adrift in a world where everyone is too horny to care about the basics of life.