Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think I have close to 150 hours in ToTK now and I've yet to receive a single hint as to where to find the Master Sword because I've mostly just been doing my own thing. I've seen enough tidbits to know it has something to do with a "light dragon" , but I refuse to just look up how to get it so I'm waiting for the game to just give me something. I put together a robot body for Mineru and I left off at the beginning of the Spirit Temple last night, so maybe I'll get something from this because from what I've also picked up, it's supposed to be "the last sage." I think I might need to actually focus on the quests instead of getting sidetracked by every shrine and cave I find as well as "oh I only need to find five crabs to upgrade this armor, I'll do that real quick" and two days later I've rescued several Koroks, killed a Gleeok for its guts, took out a pirate based, liberated a village, rescued a guy from a cave, etc. but where I draw the line is I'm not chopping wood to rebuild your village you lazy fucks. You're telling me your entire village can't chop down 15 trees without the Legendary Swordsman? This is why you're in a recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
tears

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rebuilding Lurelin was fun just for the "stick as many trees together as possible and slap wheels on it and fuckin' send 'er down the hill" aspect

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

codo27 posted:

I've read posts about the caves and sky islands in Tears, how close is the main overworld to how its presented in BotW?

I had 200+ hours in BOTW. I was very familiar with Hyrule.

I am about 150 hours in TOTK. I feel like Gandalf when he says he has no memory of this place.

The same geographical layout but the landscapes and landmarks are changed significantly. Gerudo region especially is improved.

Veg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 26, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Veg posted:

I had 200+ hours in BOTW. I was very familiar with Hyrule.

I am about 150 hours in TOTK. I feel like Gandalf when he says he has no memory of this place.

The same geographical layout but the landscapes and landmarks are changed significantly. Gerudo region especially is improved significantly.

Also the Sun is now in the southern half of the sky instead of the north, so everything is being lit from the opposite angle, it's loving uncanny

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Also the Sun is now in the southern half of the sky instead of the north, so everything is being lit from the opposite angle, it's loving uncanny

Oh my god. Lightbulb moment.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

bawk posted:

I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure similar to the Koroks, only the pure of heart can see the dragons. Link rolling up to say "oh hey yeah that person who looks just like Zelda isn't Zelda, that's Zelda" *points at empty sky* would just make rock-eating sword-breaking Link look more insane.

yeah in TotK there's a part where an NPC is standing near a chasm by Kakariko where Naydra can show up and he'll remark on the breeze if she's passing by but can't see her at all

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

yeah in TotK there's a part where an NPC is standing near a chasm by Kakariko where Naydra can show up and he'll remark on the breeze if she's passing by but can't see her at all

See I just thought that was another example of NPCs being dumb as poo poo. Kind of like the drummer in the stable band who thought he could catch bees by drumming.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think the NPCs are just playing dumb and they're just extremely lazy.

"Oooh, no, it's gonna take a long time to fix this stable, it's missing a plank of wood. Our horses will die. <sigh>"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'd do it too if there was a guy right there who can lift heavy poo poo by magic.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Link shouldn't be using ultrahand for anything meant to last though. A bridge built with ultrahand will quickly collapse. Airplanes will just fall apart mid-air as if they were engineered by Boeing.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Speaking of poorly designed, what the hell was going on with the construct factory? What kind of assembly line is that? Yes this part of the factory will use a conveyor belt which is just upside down motorcycle wheels, this other part will just launch the parts at you with gliders, this part of factory is filled with lava for some reason...it was like drunk orks built it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Speaking of poorly designed, what the hell was going on with the construct factory? What kind of assembly line is that? Yes this part of the factory will use a conveyor belt which is just upside down motorcycle wheels, this other part will just launch the parts at you with gliders, this part of factory is filled with lava for some reason...it was like drunk orks built it.

True, but the landscape has probably changed in the 10,000+ years since it was built.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So those dragons are the Goddeses, huh.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Drunk rabbit people built it.

Or it was some big make-work project so much so that they had to split up the manufacturing of individual pieces even though they're symmetrical.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Link shouldn't be using ultrahand for anything meant to last though. A bridge built with ultrahand will quickly collapse. Airplanes will just fall apart mid-air as if they were engineered by Boeing.

I replaced the Rito bridge with some ultrahanded trees, lousy flying penguins didn't even bother to try it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I ended up getting the Master Sword after completing the part of the game that pointed me directly at it. And I see what people mean about things not making sense out of order. Getting the memories out of order is one thing and doesn't really bother me, I can dig it - you're piecing things together from a series of flashbacks, it doesn't have to be linear. And yet I still can't get access to that ring ruin after learning Ganon impersonated Zelda in the past to kill Sonia and that Zelda herself turned into a dragon, and I just pulled a sword out of her head. Look just let me into the ring ruin. Fire temple is up next, I guess.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 27, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Or it was some big make-work project

Tbh Zelda should force Hudson to turn his construction company into a New Deal WPA work corps to rebuild Hyrule. Dude’s one of like 3 people who appears to know his rear end from his elbow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Asterite34 posted:

Veg posted:

Oh my god. Lightbulb moment.
:same: :stare:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Asterite34 posted:

What the hell

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Night is also 2 hours shorter. Both BotW and TotK consider 5:00 AM to be the start of "day" and 9:00 PM to be the start of "night", but in TotK the sun rises at 3:00 AM for some reason. This bugged me because I prefer the game at night more, but if I had to guess, it's because the depths meant that you'd be in dark conditions more often and they wanted to offset that a little.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Docjowles posted:

Tbh Zelda should force Hudson to turn his construction company into a New Deal WPA work corps to rebuild Hyrule. Dude’s one of like 3 people who appears to know his rear end from his elbow.

She did, but then Ganondorf happened.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

It’s genuinely uncanny how much this tiny change makes the landscape feel completely different t despite having seen it before

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So those dragons are the Goddeses, huh.

makes sense. isnt it stated in skyward sword that Zelda is a reincarnation of the goddess Hylia?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

bawk posted:

makes sense. isnt it stated in skyward sword that Zelda is a reincarnation of the goddess Hylia?

Not just a reincarnation, an indwelling - Hylia specifically chooses to indwell Zelda because she needs Link for the fight, and she knows Link will do anything for Zelda, so she indwells Zelda to compel Link to join her fight. It’s super manipulative in retrospect!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's more like an avatar situation. Zelda is Hylia incarnated as a human. And the reason she chose to do that was because gods cannot use the triforce, and I guess she needed it to defeat Demise. I think Skyward Sword Link was mostly just incidental, albeit useful. She probably also returned to being Hylia after Zelda died.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
After completing BotW I still felt compelled to keep playing and find all the shrines, but for some reason I have no desire to find anymore in TotK. I've found about 70. They've just been mostly disappointing. Most are either a tutorial, a quick game, a blessing, or a "removed all your items" battle. I think only two have had me slightly stumped so far. BotW had many that were pretty fleshed out.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

After completing BotW I still felt compelled to keep playing and find all the shrines, but for some reason I have no desire to find anymore in TotK. I've found about 70. They've just been mostly disappointing. Most are either a tutorial, a quick game, a blessing, or a "removed all your items" battle. I think only two have had me slightly stumped so far. BotW had many that were pretty fleshed out.

Yeah sadly I think the only really fun TotK shrines are the Eventide Island rip-offs. I'm having a hard time thinking of any others that were particular stand-outs, except for the flowing sand one that is honestly way too big. And maybe that even was a no items one.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Ravenson posted:

Yeah sadly I think the only really fun TotK shrines are the Eventide Island rip-offs. I'm having a hard time thinking of any others that were particular stand-outs, except for the flowing sand one that is honestly way too big. And maybe that even was a no items one.

The rails shrine, and the driving over lava shrines are the standouts from my playthrough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There were too many uninteresting ones, but I still felt way more compelled to check them all off than in BotW. The addition of the lightroots and clearing the depths map made it interesting enough that I wanted to check them all off, rather than giving up on combing the map with probably a couple dozen left in the first game.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Interesting. I was basically the opposite in Botw and ToTK. In BotW it took me some time after my first endgame to hunt down all the shrines. I definitely had to use guides to find a few of them

In ToTK my first attempt at Ganondorf was thwarted, I subsequently spent my playtime hunting down all the lightroots and all the shrines before going after him again. Didn't use a guide.

To be honest, I kind of regret hunting down all the lightroots. It turned the nightmarish dread of the subterranean realm into a generally unsaturated underworld with very few interesting quests
Did use a guide to hunt down the last well, though. I wasn't going to gridwalk all of Hyrule with the Purah Pad Sensor just to hunt it down.

I'm probably not going to go for all the monster medals. Too many monsters, not enough markers. I'm fine with the Gleeoks and the Moldugas.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy sweet adorable gently caress knuckles. Took care of death mountain, boss was too easy, didn't take one hit. Might as well go grab the sword now. Had tons of hearts leftover, could have gotten it much sooner. Save and quit.

Fire up the game today. What are these trials? Whole time I'm just hoping there isn't one with a lynel. Well, that was easy. Oh, there's a second (and obviously third) tier? Medium trials took a few tries. Got frustrated with the final trials, kept thinking I was close to the end. Get to the ice golem thing, one shots me cause I kept loving up grabbing the fairies at the break level. Well that fuckin sucks. I gave in and went and checked out if that really was the final level...yeah I'm not trying that again. I dunno whats waiting for me at the castle but I'm sure I can handle it with the sword the way it is.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

maltesh posted:

Interesting. I was basically the opposite in Botw and ToTK. In BotW it took me some time after my first endgame to hunt down all the shrines. I definitely had to use guides to find a few of them

In ToTK my first attempt at Ganondorf was thwarted, I subsequently spent my playtime hunting down all the lightroots and all the shrines before going after him again. Didn't use a guide.

To be honest, I kind of regret hunting down all the lightroots. It turned the nightmarish dread of the subterranean realm into a generally unsaturated underworld with very few interesting quests
Did use a guide to hunt down the last well, though. I wasn't going to gridwalk all of Hyrule with the Purah Pad Sensor just to hunt it down.

I'm probably not going to go for all the monster medals. Too many monsters, not enough markers. I'm fine with the Gleeoks and the Moldugas.

I did a 2nd run of TOTK a few months ago, and I tried to just do the core components as quick as I could the regional disturbances, find the sword, get the 5th stage, castle battle, go kill Ganondorf, get enough armor and shrines along the way and it was fun. Because of that I hardly spent any time in the depths, and I fired it up recently to go tool around and explore and see what I see. There's something so fun about releasing a brightblooom seed arrow and not having any idea if it's going to hit the giant pillar-tree-root-thing 3 feet in front of you or go sailing off an enormous cliff. Paragliding and seeing a lightroot but then it just totally vanishes. is it a column? A big tree? is it behind a mine building? So much mystery!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

God damnit I still have 31 loving Bubbelfrogs to find Jesus loving christ how many loving caves ARE THERE

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TotK does put one fhrough a whole gamut of emotions.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

God damnit I still have 31 loving Bubbelfrogs to find Jesus loving christ how many loving caves ARE THERE
Yeah I have like 17 left and Kolton doesn't detect any of them, I didn't want to resort to a map but this sucks

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

isn't the main reward for the whole bubbelfrog thing an armor set that will make you bleed rupees instead of lose hearts? sounds like a waste of time unless you're really into watching kolton turn into a goblin or whatever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

isn't the main reward for the whole bubbelfrog thing an armor set that will make you bleed rupees instead of lose hearts? sounds like a waste of time unless you're really into watching kolton turn into a goblin or whatever.

Some people just need to complete every task put in front of them

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I got that armor set long ago I just decided to find all the bubbelfrogs because I got curios about exporing all of the caves (hey I like them) and since they have those weird beasts in every one of them then why not. Now that Ive been doing it for so long I want to get them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I tried to collect every capsule toy at one point in Shenmue 2 so I definitely can't judge