Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I don't remember the camera ever being a problem in Mario Odyssey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Me either.

Skill issue.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It constantly re-adjusts your adjustments to what it thinks the camera angle should be, whereas in BotW and TotK it works like an FPS where it stays at the angle you set it at, basically. It's not like it makes it unplayable or anything, I was just trying to compare how great the control in BotW and TotK actually is.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
One of my favourite cameras was in wind waker. I could make Link so tiny and it didn't get hung up on walls much despite a lot of tight areas.

I have been playing Sonic Frontiers when it was on sale and the camera has been pissing me off every step of the way. What's worse is that there are times where the camera is locked and you can't see where you are going to land and then flips out as it goes underneath you. This describes every 3d sonic game I guess.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Just Andi Now posted:

Y'all should check out their GDC talk. Sadly not available on Youtube, but it's in the GDC Vault. https://gdcvault.com/play/1034667/Tunes-of-the-Kingdom-Evolving

Even shows clips of the game physics glitching out like normal video games.

Also on YT now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRBhGb9WTpQ

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Down to 11 more shrines. I have a feeling this is going to take a while. I've been to every sky island except a few of the miniboss platforms (flux constructs or king gleeoks) and I'm pretty sure those won't be shrines. Are there shrines that don't trigger the shrine sensor? It looks like almost every shrine quest is a crystal one, and I know those do.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Down to 11 more shrines. I have a feeling this is going to take a while. I've been to every sky island except a few of the miniboss platforms (flux constructs or king gleeoks) and I'm pretty sure those won't be shrines. Are there shrines that don't trigger the shrine sensor? It looks like almost every shrine quest is a crystal one, and I know those do.

Wait, what?

Killing those things create shrines :stonk:

Okay this a TIL matter. Lunch break is going to be a “Hang on, I’ll be right there” :skateboard:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
What they likely mean is that sometimes the monsters will have a crystal embedded in it which will lead to a shrine entrance. If you find the shrine entrance first it will lead you to the monster.

The sensor will always point to the shrine entrance, not the monster or other element. The shrine itself often will have a green tracer to where you will need to find the activation crystal

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I THINK every shrine will trigger the sensor? But there are some that are basically traps and you will not find them anywhere near where the sensor guides you. One that drove me to insanity is triggered by doing a shield surfing snowboard run off a sky island. The sensor pings at the end of the course roughly 1 million miles from where you begin. I spent HOURS running around looking for a cave or something lol. There's also some that are in fact just in very deep caves and the entrance is extremely far from where the sensor pings.

Also there are 32 shrines on sky islands if you just want to count them up and see if you're done

Another shrine hunting hint you know they correspond to lightroots right? I found this even more helpful than the sensor assuming you've finished most or all of the depths. Just keep flipping back and forth between over and underworld maps til you see a root without a shrine marker above it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

eightysixed posted:

Wait, what?

Killing those things create shrines :stonk:

Okay this a TIL matter. Lunch break is going to be a “Hang on, I’ll be right there” :skateboard:

Well, no, that's not what I meant, sorry.

But, as the poster below you said, there are some crystal shrines where the crystal is embedded in a flux construct. I was only referring to some sky islands which are hard to reach - like the one above Eventide Island. They all have the same shape - that of an arena like you see in the depths for the temple boss redos. I only have two or three left that I haven't visited, but I'm pretty sure those are boss fights without a shrine because there's no other islands that are close enough to complete a crystal quest. I know for a fact that the Eventide one is a King Gleeok fight

It sounds like I might have missed some sky island shrines. It might be a case of an island that's above or a beneath another island, so it only looks like I've been there already.

There is still one on the surface I haven't done yet. It's one where it needs to be noon time and for whatever reason I didn't bother to complete it because it wasn't noon when I was messing with it. So, technically, I only need FIND 10 more shrines.

Oh, and I did complete the snowboarding one a while ago. For some reason I thought you could just snowboard all the way down from the sky island without taking damage, so I wasted a fairy on the landing. Took me a while to find because I only knew it was there because of the lightroot beneath it so I was doing all kinds of dumb poo poo to try to get it appear. For some reason I thought chopping down trees was the trick.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm pretty sure I recall at least one shrine where the sensor did not go off until I completed the puzzle. I knew there was a shrine there because the maps hinting at it, as mentioned upthread. I think it was the Jochisiu Shrine.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Well, no, that's not what I meant, sorry.

But, as the poster below you said, there are some crystal shrines where the crystal is embedded in a flux construct. I was only referring to some sky islands which are hard to reach - like the one above Eventide Island. They all have the same shape - that of an arena like you see in the depths for the temple boss redos. I only have two or three left that I haven't visited, but I'm pretty sure those are boss fights without a shrine because there's no other islands that are close enough to complete a crystal quest. I know for a fact that the Eventide one is a King Gleeok fight

It sounds like I might have missed some sky island shrines. It might be a case of an island that's above or a beneath another island, so it only looks like I've been there already.

There is still one on the surface I haven't done yet. It's one where it needs to be noon time and for whatever reason I didn't bother to complete it because it wasn't noon when I was messing with it. So, technically, I only need FIND 10 more shrines.

Oh, and I did complete the snowboarding one a while ago. For some reason I thought you could just snowboard all the way down from the sky island without taking damage, so I wasted a fairy on the landing. Took me a while to find because I only knew it was there because of the lightroot beneath it so I was doing all kinds of dumb poo poo to try to get it appear. For some reason I thought chopping down trees was the trick.

Wow. You all are talking about poo poo I don’t even know about and I’m 150 hours into the game.

To be fair, I’ve been doing every Side Quest and Side Adventure I’ve encountered.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I haven't checked lately but I think I contrived to get at least 200 hours in before I encountered a temple boss in the depths, and then within two hours I had found three of them. I've already fought Queen Gibdo three times down there. I ended up looking up that you refight each temple boss three times in the depths. I was beginning to think the depths was just full of queen gibdos.

Also at probably nearly 250 hours in, I just now discovered dondons, so there's bound to be a shrine or two on the surface I've missed.

Did they just omit durians completely from this game? I haven't found any, but it's not like I've ever run out of truffles or other max heart refill foods. Being able to just go back to the one spot with all the durians in BoTW did kind of make things a little too easy, I guess.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Did they just omit durians completely from this game? I haven't found any, but it's not like I've ever run out of truffles or other max heart refill foods. Being able to just go back to the one spot with all the durians in BoTW did kind of make things a little too easy, I guess.

Yep, it took me a while to notice, but durians are extinct now. There are at least a couple animals missing too, but I'm not sure about any other fruits/food ingredients.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Hearty Durians, Hearty Blueshell Snails, and Great Horned Rhinoceroses were all hunted and gathered to extinction in Hyrule between the games.

There's also one Temple Boss that you can only defeat once per playthrough.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's still hosed up to me that potatoes don't exist in Hyrule. I don't buy this crap about it being a new world foodstuff either, they have tomatoes!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kass was also apparently hunted and gathered into extinction. RIP Kass.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Kass not appearing, and no mention of the Divine Beasts (except I think in a side quest with the school in Hateno?) were the two biggest disappointments in the game from a narrative standpoint, for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's still hosed up to me that potatoes don't exist in Hyrule. I don't buy this crap about it being a new world foodstuff either, they have tomatoes!

Potatoes are considered haram in Hyrule because of ancient memories of The Depths and people claiming they come from there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Kass not appearing, and no mention of the Divine Beasts (except I think in a side quest with the school in Hateno?) were the two biggest disappointments in the game from a narrative standpoint, for me.

Yeah, my first thought when I saw the Ring Ruins was they were exploded Divine Beast leg segments and I'm still disappointed they weren't.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I can understand the Guardians being gone in ways- Hylians probably dismantled them because gently caress THOSE THINGS. Obviously parts have been used by Pura for experiments, but it was a bit jarring that there was only one intact guardian in the entirety of ToTK.

I was sad that the Ancient Armor was gone. :(

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Ancient horse armor was the best…

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

but it was a bit jarring that there was only one intact guardian in the entirety of ToTK.

Wait what? Where?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Since LoZ is at least partially influenced by Celtic folklore maybe they deliberately left out potatoes in order to reinforce the severity of the situation.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait what? Where?

There's a husk of an old guardian on the top of both the Hateno Lab and Robbie's Lab in Akkala

No idea about any intact ones, though

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

There's a husk of an old guardian on the top of both the Hateno Lab and Robbie's Lab in Akkala

No idea about any intact ones, though

Ah I forgot about the Hateno one- I was thinking Robbie's Lab one. Yeah they are shells but more or less intact albeit completely inactive. Of course parts have been used by Pura for the towers. Those legs, the activation panels and the Pura Pad being the only Sheika tech left over is strange.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s incredibly odd how much they memoryholed BOTW in TOTK. I get that they probably wanted it to stand on its own enough that anybody that skipped BOTW wouldn’t feel like they’re missing something, but to relegate it to a few Guardian remnants and that lesson in Hateno that treats it like some kind of long-ago myth was an odd way to do it

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I thought the sky tower launchers were built from guardians. The Divine Beasts thing is weirder, but I guess they didn't want those things big things taking up space. The Zonai were also made out to be a tribe of barbarians. Continuity has never been a strong point in Zelda games.

They'll probably come up with an entirely new history of Hylia for the next game. I wonder where they go from here? Perhaps the sea. Perhaps Link will have to save the kingdom of Seatopia. Or maybe Link will travel to the Zonai homeworld in his spaceship. Star Link.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bring back skater punk Link, we already have the motorcycle

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

People have noticed that Rauru's Zonai architecture and architecture associated with the Zonai from BotW are completely different, so most likely they've been retconned to being constructed by different tribes, or at least occurred at different points in time, so hard to say whether or not war-like zonai were a thing or not. Our only point of reference for Zonai are Rauru and Mineru anyway. Who knows what the rest were like.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Perhaps the sea. Perhaps Link will have to save the kingdom of Seatopia.

👏PUT👏MEGALON👏IN👏HYRULE👏

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just Andi Now posted:

People have noticed that Rauru's Zonai architecture and architecture associated with the Zonai from BotW are completely different, so most likely they've been retconned to being constructed by different tribes, or at least occurred at different points in time, so hard to say whether or not war-like zonai were a thing or not. Our only point of reference for Zonai are Rauru and Mineru anyway. Who knows what the rest were like.

Yeah after TOTK came out and I played it I figured that the “Zonai” ruins in BOTW were basically made by ancient Hylians kind of cargo culting the Zonai from stories passed down. I mean, it seems that the Zonai and Demon Gannon happened around 10,000 years ago so if 6,000 or so years later tribes called themselves “Zonai” and made idols and a shrine to worship them wouldn’t be unheard of.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah after TOTK came out and I played it I figured that the “Zonai” ruins in BOTW were basically made by ancient Hylians kind of cargo culting the Zonai from stories passed down. I mean, it seems that the Zonai and Demon Gannon happened around 10,000 years ago so if 6,000 or so years later tribes called themselves “Zonai” and made idols and a shrine to worship them wouldn’t be unheard of.

But the weird thing is that in the Zonai ruins in ToTK we find that there are actually Zonai devices in the caves that seemed readily accessible - they didn't fall from the sky or come from the depths - so presumably the tribe that hung out in the Faron region had access to that technology? Or maybe it's a coincidence. It's probably not worth overthinking.

Like, how did all of that old gear spanning milennia of Links past end up in the depths?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hell, the Rauru/Ganondorf thing was probably well over 10,000 years ago; Rauru founded Hyrule and by 10,000 years prior to BotW Hyrule was already a “high advanced civilization”, so the Imprisoning War would’ve had to happen 10,000 years plus however long it takes to go from founding to highly advanced prior to BotW

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m sure they did but I can’t recall. Did Nintendo ever cover how Hyrule went from god tier Zonai tech to so loving dumb they can’t like cook food or climb out of a neck deep hole?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

At what point did Zora evolve from fireball spitting creatures from the black lagoon? Or is that what they evolved into?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I thought the Zora evolved into the Rito? Even though that was obviously retconned in BotW

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

At what point did Zora evolve from fireball spitting creatures from the black lagoon? Or is that what they evolved into?

I think one of the Oracle games refers to "Lake Zora" and "River Zora"

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

those are river zora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Docjowles posted:

I’m sure they did but I can’t recall. Did Nintendo ever cover how Hyrule went from god tier Zonai tech to so loving dumb they can’t like cook food or climb out of a neck deep hole?

somewhere between the second and third times their civilization completely collapsed, I imagine