Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fuckin river Zora...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Zonai probably aren't even the first civilization to leave behind robot tech. Automatons predate the founding of Hyrule as shown in Skyward Sword.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

At what point did Zora evolve from fireball spitting creatures from the black lagoon? Or is that what they evolved into?

I’ve been replaying Link to the Past and my son who has only played TotK was very confused why the Zora were weird dragon fish shooting fireballs at me instead of being Link’s cool and noble BFFs

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's probably best not to overthink these things. I think it was the Video Game Nerd and perhaps others who said it's best to think of each game as a retelling of a legend that changes over time and varies by culture, kind of like great flood myths.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

But the weird thing is that in the Zonai ruins in ToTK we find that there are actually Zonai devices in the caves that seemed readily accessible - they didn't fall from the sky or come from the depths - so presumably the tribe that hung out in the Faron region had access to that technology? Or maybe it's a coincidence. It's probably not worth overthinking.

Like, how did all of that old gear spanning milennia of Links past end up in the depths?

I think it's an Ancient Aliens thing where it's from back when the Zonai had some hegemonic dominion over Hyule and all the Faron ruins are, like, the ancestral Hylian equivalant of stuff like Gorondia or the Rito skyship where it was stuff that locals built under Zonai supervision. It's not really Zonai Zonai, it's some human client state apeing the aesthetic.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

👏PUT👏MEGALADON👏IN👏HYRULE👏

FTFY :cheers:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you combine the water and air temple bosses it's kind of a megalodon

Now that I think about it a randomizer mod where you have to fight a boss with all of their abilities at once actually sounds pretty cool

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's probably best not to overthink these things. I think it was the Video Game Nerd and perhaps others who said it's best to think of each game as a retelling of a legend that changes over time and varies by culture, kind of like great flood myths.

Yeah this is definitely the way to do it, especially since this one basically re-tells the stories of both Skyward Sword and OoT from different perspectives and with a few minor details changed

"Legend" is in the name for cryin' out loud!!!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Someone finally went and made a pie chart answering the real questions: which characters that appear in both BotW and TotK recognize Link?

Oh and the pie chart comes with a 40 minute video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtPOzaGGLvo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ten seconds of that guy's voice was too much for me.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, whoever watches the full 40 minutes of that video, please share.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'd rather endure 40 minutes of Martinet's Mario voice than that tbh, and that's not a compliment

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The Legend of Zelda: Prosopagnosia of the Kingdom

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think his voice was that bad so I had it on as background while I did stuff. Basically he dives into how he came up with that graph, though it's probably pretty obvious. On a new save, he sought out every character that returned from BotW and noted the first conversation with them.

Almost every notable character that should remember Link does. There are a small handful of exceptions where the character should have remembered Link but doesn't seem to or doesn't make it clear. Hestu is a very notable one. However, the majority of the characters that blatantly do not remember Link are non-noteworthy ones like shopkeepers and townsfolk that don't really have a reason to remember Link. Even if he technically did them a small favor in BotW, we're meant to assume a few years have passed between games and Link likely didn't encounter that person again until now.

Most importantly is that it would be exhausting for every single NPC to start a dialogue tree establishing that they remember Link, especially when the vast majority of players probably didn't 100% BotW and talk to everyone.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 27, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm 120+ shrines into the game and just figured out Hero's Path exists.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Now you can watch hours and hours of going in circles trying to find the last light root.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

SirPablo posted:

I'm 120+ shrines into the game and just figured out Hero's Path exists.

You did better than me :stare:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Got a kick out of Purah's "WHAT?" after doing Crisis at Hyrule Castle with the final sage and Master Sword in hand. "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SOMETHING?"

Well Link is actually incapable of speaking if you never noticed.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
My suspicion is that the realities of remote development due to Covid made them build in separate directions. One team wanted to make a weird dark world that became the depths, one wanted time travel, another wanted building. And then when they got back together they realized these were not easy to combine. And also all three teams forgot about Teba.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah I do wonder wtf was up with Teba being downgraded to a non-VA supporting character. At first I figured it was because of the rumors that his VA from BOTW wasn’t asked to return, but then I heard the Deku Tree speak and that’s the same VA, so what gives Nintendo?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait so when is the “proper” time to get the master sword? Like when does the game tell you to find it if you don’t already have it?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Teba? I forgot who that was. I guess he ran off with Kass. Maybe they both decided to fly out of Hyrule. Just to discover a new land that another demon king is trying to conquer.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait so when is the “proper” time to get the master sword? Like when does the game tell you to find it if you don’t already have it?

Deku Tree in The Lost Woods

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Teba? I forgot who that was. I guess he ran off with Kass. Maybe they both decided to fly out of Hyrule. Just to discover a new land that another demon king is trying to conquer.

Teba is a family man who raises his kid Tulin with his wife, and also he's the new village chief after the old one died, so he's too busy to be a sage or discovering new lands like the deadbeat dad Kass.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Just Andi Now posted:

Teba is a family man who raises his kid Tulin with his wife, and also he's the new village chief after the old one died, so he's too busy to be a sage or discovering new lands like the deadbeat dad Kass.

The old chief isn't even dead, he moved to the old training ground.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

Deku Tree in The Lost Woods

No I mean, I did what another poster did some pages back and stumbled my way into the Korok Forest through the pillar in the depths. Nowhere in the dialogue did the game prompt me to go get the master sword, so I must have done it sooner than you're intended to do it. I also never found a way to traverse the Lost Woods.

So like, if one were to play through and strictly follow the main quest objectives and not explore on their own at all, at what point in the game does it tell you to go get the Master Sword and how to traverse the Lost Woods?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

No I mean, I did what another poster did some pages back and stumbled my way into the Korok Forest through the pillar in the depths. Nowhere in the dialogue did the game prompt me to go get the master sword, so I must have done it sooner than you're intended to do it. I also never found a way to traverse the Lost Woods.

So like, if one were to play through and strictly follow the main quest objectives and not explore on their own at all, at what point in the game does it tell you to go get the Master Sword and how to traverse the Lost Woods?

They probably ask you to get the sword after beating the four dungeons? As for traversing the lost woods : Going underground then ascending back up is how you're meant to do it. Supposedly after helping the Deku Tree it goes back to how it works in BotW but I've never tried.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The path is supposed to be you complete the four temples (Regional Phenomenon) then you go back to Lookout Landing and they say "Zelda is in the castle, we can all her see her" - so then you go to the castle and right off the bat it's pretty clear what's up. The four sages show up after Ganon reveals himself and everyone is like "Whoa, Ganon is back! I can't believe it"

At that point in the game it's pretty clear the whole thing is about Ganon no matter what order you do things in, but I guess that was supposed to be the big reveal that Ganon is behind it all? I guess I can see how this is a revelation to Yunobo, Sidon, Tulin, or Riju, but the game has made it very clear pretty much from the beginning so that moment seemed pretty dumb.

Anyway, then you get back to Lookout Landing and everyone is like "Wow what can we do against this phantom menace - oh wait there is another sage" Then after you do the final sage and beat that temple, that's when you're supposed to be pointed specifically to the Master Sword. She says she doesn't really know where it is but maybe the Deku Tree can help.

Mineru was actually the third sage I found. It wasn't intentional at all. I wanted to check out that area and just fell right into the quest. At the time, I thought it was just going to be another shrine, or maybe something lame like "Bug Catching Kid's Net" or "Tunic from Zelda II - Link's Adventure."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mineru was actually the third sage I found. It wasn't intentional at all. I wanted to check out that area and just fell right into the quest. At the time, I thought it was just going to be another shrine, or maybe something lame like "Bug Catching Kid's Net" or "Tunic from Zelda II - Link's Adventure."

The what now?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I never use Mineru.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I would use Mineru if she autodepleted my zonai devices and armed up to a preset when I summoned her.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think my single biggest disappointment with the game is that the Spirit Temple wasn't really a temple at all. I guess assembling Mineru's body took about as long as a temple, but I found it pretty tedious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm still bummed about that, and I generally liked the leadup to the "temple". I think all they needed to do was tweak the name and presentation a little so I didn't think all that stuff was a precursor to one more big temple, I would've been fine with expecting that getting Mineru was the endpoint of that section.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

When I got to the Spirit Temple I saved for the evening rather than continue because I was expecting something more than five minutes and I figured I'd call it a night and continue later lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That was a joke but technically that would probably be the Hero's Tunic

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The path is supposed to be you complete the four temples (Regional Phenomenon) then you go back to Lookout Landing and they say "Zelda is in the castle, we can all her see her" - so then you go to the castle and right off the bat it's pretty clear what's up. The four sages show up after Ganon reveals himself and everyone is like "Whoa, Ganon is back! I can't believe it"

At that point in the game it's pretty clear the whole thing is about Ganon no matter what order you do things in, but I guess that was supposed to be the big reveal that Ganon is behind it all? I guess I can see how this is a revelation to Yunobo, Sidon, Tulin, or Riju, but the game has made it very clear pretty much from the beginning so that moment seemed pretty dumb.

Anyway, then you get back to Lookout Landing and everyone is like "Wow what can we do against this phantom menace - oh wait there is another sage" Then after you do the final sage and beat that temple, that's when you're supposed to be pointed specifically to the Master Sword. She says she doesn't really know where it is but maybe the Deku Tree can help.

I felt like the game improved significantly after I got the Master Sword. That quest was also one of the more memorable in the game. I hope more players didn't wait until the end to get it.

Also, how do you get Mineru without the game prompting you to investigate the storms in that region? You need the construct head, which is in the storm cloud shrouded islands in the sky, right? I assumed you couldn't access those sky islands without clearing the storm first.

It's just neat to see all the ways the game works around players doing it "out of order".

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

I felt like the game improved significantly after I got the Master Sword. That quest was also one of the more memorable in the game. I hope more players didn't wait until the end to get it.

Also, how do you get Mineru without the game prompting you to investigate the storms in that region? You need the construct head, which is in the storm cloud shrouded islands in the sky, right? I assumed you couldn't access those sky islands without clearing the storm first.

It's just neat to see all the ways the game works around players doing it "out of order".

Oh, you can absolutely navigate those sky islands without clearing the storm first. My husband had the same thought-- the storm looks cool, I'll see what's up. I told him it was far, far easier if you do the storm quest first so you can actually see more than half a screen away, but he kept going, found the room with the voice, and got Mineru early, too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Well, I just wanted to clear the storm, so I thought you had to do that by doing something in the islands above it. I actually paraglided right into it and landed at the bottom of a platform and then ascended right up to the shrine.

I still haven't taken out the storm. I'm about to do that next.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I just had thought it was a neat area to explore. Same reason why I found the wind temple before ever talking to the Ritu only to be pissed off that I couldn't activate the warp without Tulin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I spent hours in that storm thinking there was no way to clear it, or that the solution to clear it was inside the storm, and that I had to explore it in the dark. When I started the Mineru quest up there, the sky cleared just so I could descend to the ground, and as I swung the camera around to see what else I had left to explore, it started to dawn on me that I had maybe gone about things the hard way. I didn't find the quest related to the storm until after I had already beaten the game, and when I went back up there I only found like one or two things I hadn't fully discovered in the dark. I felt pretty proud of myself for being so thorough, though I also wished I hadn't wasted my time so stupidly, heh.