Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As far as we know there’s only 10 minutes of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

a.lo posted:

there’s not going to be any dungeons if you can just swim through the ceilings sigh

They said it has limitations. Like only things with a roof in a standard cave that has a hill above it Remember they didnt let you climb walls in shrines. Theres strong evidence of dungeons.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

As far as we know there’s only 10 minutes of gameplay.

Good, these open world games have been getting way too bloated

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If there are dungeons I'll be interested to see if they still give you the freedom to fight Ganon at the beginning like in botw

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Hmmm, people who hated Breath of the Wild aren't hyped about its direct sequel, Tears of the Kingdom? Yeah that's a real mystery, we'll never puzzle this one out.

Don't buy it, then, or wait until it's out and more comprehensive reviews and gameplay videos are available before making the decision. There is neither an obligation to be hyped in advance nor is there one to purchase it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Edit: I was wrong

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My take is that the ascend ability won’t make dungeons obsolete, but it potentially can make a new way of exploration possible to find secret passages or ways around a seemingly impossible way to get to a cave offshoot. Think of what CAN be done, not what can’t, that is what made BOTW great.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fortis posted:

Hmmm, people who hated Breath of the Wild aren't hyped about its direct sequel, Tears of the Kingdom? Yeah that's a real mystery, we'll never puzzle this one out.

Don't buy it, then, or wait until it's out and more comprehensive reviews and gameplay videos are available before making the decision. There is neither an obligation to be hyped in advance nor is there one to purchase it.

Ok but I want to post about how the sky is falling on my favorite video game series I don’t like.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

a.lo posted:

there’s not going to be any dungeons if you can just swim through the ceilings sigh

shrines have special surfaces you can't climb so that the core feature of BotW didn't break them, there's no reason they couldn't just just put that stuff on ceilings and say you can't Ascend. easy peezy

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Saxophone posted:

Ok but I want to post about how the sky is falling on my favorite video game series I don’t like.

It's a real crime that Nintendo was allowed to erase all previous Zelda games from the timeline when BotW came out!!

For real though I'm not looking forward to another 6 years of people smugly posting about how they hated the latest mainline Zelda as if anyone asked or cares. I still see people doing that about BotW and like, drat, give it a rest.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm excited but still not pre-BOTW excited. I remember when this trailer dropped in 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE
...and I immediately preordered a switch and the game right after watching it. I really hope they release a trailer with this level of hype to it and show a bit more about the world and story.

I think the biggest reason we’re not getting more stuff like this is that in 2017 Nintendo needed to sell everyone on a new type of Zelda and a new console. Coming off the Wii U’s failure they needed a hit, and they needed to make sure people’s jaws were dropping to get them in the door on the Switch because no one actually knew how the Switch was gonna do.

Here in 2023 everyone has a Switch and the only thing you need to sell a lot of people the next Zelda is “yeah we’ve spent the last 5 years making more Breath of the Wild”. I trust that they’re not gonna gently caress that up

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Saxophone posted:

okay then just use Recall ??? Problem solved

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Its pretty refreshing that they showed so little of this game so far. Most games have huge media blow-outs where they show off most of everything.

Let us discover meat shields & stuff on our own.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Cojawfee posted:

With Groose's skeleton.

Groose cargo cult, established long ago with origins lost to memory.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super No Vacancy posted:

really lolling at "there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know."

Stuff like this reminds me of "relax BotW will have more story and cutscenes lmao they didn't show everything'' and then the game came out and welp "It's not about the story/cutscenes look you can get killed holding metal in a storm who wants story lol"

People in this thread are being very weird about what amounts to mild concerns lol. I don't think anyone has talked about the franchise being dead or whatever, and 'just play the old games' is such a poo poo write off in almost any situation. Like my brother in christ what do you think people have been doing. Why do you think remakes sell or people want Wind Waker HD or Majora's Mask or whatever old games still. Why is it bad to hope the franchise at least includes *some* of the older stuff instead of just being a big ol empty sandbox again.

I have the drat game preordered and it's not like I want TotK to fail, I'm just concerned with how much they haven't shown and how some of the trailers are basically just the same thing over and over again. When Xenoblade 2 and 3 got announced in random nintendo directs they had like, 20 minutes of cutscene and gameplay. What was shown yesterday felt like one of those snippets but even shorter.

E: I do wonder on topic of the game if there's a sound cue for stuff falling as I don't really pan the camera up unless given a reason so I'd be worried of random moon tear rocks just bonking me on the head or me just outright missing them. Maybe I just didn't notice but did the rock sparkle or anything when Link got to it to like, highlight that was the right thing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
BotW has a ton of story and cutscenes though? Its just mostly optional.

Pretty sure it has more overall minutes of cutscenes than Twilight Princess though, and definitely beats out like OoT or MM. Also every DLC and WoC leaned into shoving in a bunch more story and cutscenes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't want them to show everything but I'm still surprised we're this close to release and still don't know much besides some of the new mechanics and the fact that there's skylands.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
It's interesting that BotW both got praised for innovating open-world games from critics and got called "empty sandbox" from fans who don't like it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't want a media blowout that's whatever, personally I just want to know what the direction is. Pre-BOTW we knew we'd be ultimately looking for the robo-beasts but in this one we don't really know why link has his weird arm or what the actual goal is other than 'where's zeld' and 'jerky ganondorf is around'

Zore posted:

BotW has a ton of story and cutscenes though? Its just mostly optional.

Pretty sure it has more overall minutes of cutscenes than Twilight Princess though, and definitely beats out like OoT or MM. Also every DLC and WoC leaned into shoving in a bunch more story and cutscenes.

I skipped the DLC as I walked out of BotW pretty let down (That and most posts at the time of launch were pretty sour on them being low effort or something). I loved the opening opening area but outside that it was just missing a lot of what I liked. Hyrule Warriors actually endeared me to the characters and the world though and it's Calamity Ganon design ruled

And the only scenes I really remember is stuff around the opening, some of links memories and Sidon. I don't remember the gorons name and Teba I don't recall if he had more than a few lines and thaats about it for me really

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 29, 2023

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stuff like this reminds me of "relax BotW will have more story and cutscenes lmao they didn't show everything'' and then the game came out and welp "It's not about the story/cutscenes look you can get killed holding metal in a storm who wants story lol"

People in this thread are being very weird about what amounts to mild concerns lol. I don't think anyone has talked about the franchise being dead or whatever, and 'just play the old games' is such a poo poo write off in almost any situation. Like my brother in christ what do you think people have been doing. Why do you think remakes sell or people want Wind Waker HD or Majora's Mask or whatever old games still. Why is it bad to hope the franchise at least includes *some* of the older stuff instead of just being a big ol empty sandbox again.

I have the drat game preordered and it's not like I want TotK to fail, I'm just concerned with how much they haven't shown and how some of the trailers are basically just the same thing over and over again. When Xenoblade 2 and 3 got announced in random nintendo directs they had like, 20 minutes of cutscene and gameplay. What was shown yesterday felt like one of those snippets but even shorter.

E: I do wonder on topic of the game if there's a sound cue for stuff falling as I don't really pan the camera up unless given a reason so I'd be worried of random moon tear rocks just bonking me on the head or me just outright missing them. Maybe I just didn't notice but did the rock sparkle or anything when Link got to it to like, highlight that was the right thing?

Maybe the game will have 3 cutscenes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Recently beat botw as a first timer, was surprised how empty the game was after doing a reverse progression where I played elden ring and chinese botw first.

Also gently caress rain lightning, genuinely I hated that more than anything else (Weapon durability was whatever).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

incorporeal posted:

Maybe the game will have 3 cutscenes

Blessed be this day

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Gonna fuse cooked rice with Link's boxers and create Gotenks

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have zero self-control so I preordered the Totk Switch, Pro Controller and carrying case. I already have an OLED Switch help something is wrong with me

I also preordered the special edition of the game but it’s coming from GameStop so who knows when I will actually get it! I wish I hadn’t missed it being available at Best Buy!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If there is a auto food button to push to heal I wonder if that means you'll be barred from pausing mid combat as that was kiiind of a huge pacebreaker, not to mention having 10 million full heals at hand at any given time was certainly a choice in the first game

That and I kinda wonder how it'll pick what Link eats given the +3 to fire res type things attached to them

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If there is a auto food button to push to heal I wonder if that means you'll be barred from pausing mid combat as that was kiiind of a huge pacebreaker, not to mention having 10 million full heals at hand at any given time was certainly a choice in the first game

That and I kinda wonder how it'll pick what Link eats given the +3 to fire res type things attached to them

Could just be a QoL thing. If everyone was stopping mid-combat anyway, providing the ability to load the consumable into a quick slot would be lovely.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Can't wait to ascend up a huge mountain and emerge face first into a Lynel's balls.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mercury Hat posted:

Can't wait to ascend up a huge mountain and emerge face first into a Lynel's balls.

yes but what about in the game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If this game doesn't have dungeons, Miyamoto is dead to me. I will make him pay, he won't get away with humiliating me like this.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm excited but still not pre-BOTW excited. I remember when this trailer dropped in 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE
...and I immediately preordered a switch and the game right after watching it. I really hope they release a trailer with this level of hype to it and show a bit more about the world and story.

I can confidently predict they won't release a trailer with that level of hype for the simple reason that it is actively impossible for them to release a trailer with the same level of hype since Breath of the Wild and that trailer represented a paradigm change for a franchise that had become rather formulaic for several decades prior to that point. Any trailer for Tears of the Kingdom is ultimately still a trailer for a game just iterating on what Breath of the Wild did. I'd hope they release one with a more emotive throughline and greater sense of what the game's story or central quest for Link is, but it'll never be capable of the kind of hype that made you instantly order a new system off the back of it because it's standing on the shoulders of that game rather than building a new formula for itself.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 29, 2023

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

tsob posted:

I can't confidently predict they won't release a trailer with that level of hype for the simple reason that it is actively impossible for them to release a trailer with the same level of hype since Breath of the Wild and that trailer represented a paradigm change for a franchise that had become rather formulaic for several decades prior to that point. Any trailer for Tears of the Kingdom is ultimately still a trailer for a game just iterating on what Breath of the Wild did. I'd hope they introduce one with a more emotive throughline and greater sense of what the game's story or central quest for Link is, but it'll never be capable of the kind of hype that made you instantly order a new system off the back of it because it's standing on the shoulders of that game rather than building a new formula for itself.

I felt the same levels of hype, OP. I’m as hype to play this as I was BotW. Actually, moreso, because I knew very little about what BotW was other than it’s what I was buying with the switch I bought at release because my buddy told me they had a few left.

So it’s very possible because it happened for me.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Hoping we get way more musical puzzles and references in this one.

Kass: Ah, Master Link! Just the hero I was hoping to encounter. Allow me to share with you a marvelous discovery I've made. As I wandered the far reaches of Hyrule, I stumbled upon a curious set of musical notes hidden within an ancient tome. When played together, they appear to evoke the spirit of past legends and bring forth memories of those who have come before us. Use your instrument to follow along and learn this Ancient Melody.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Procrastine posted:

Some of the constructs are friendly

loving hell...what's next friendly bokoblins? Ganondorf the shop-keeper selling me milk?! This isn't the Zelda of my youth...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My take is that the ascend ability won’t make dungeons obsolete, but it potentially can make a new way of exploration possible to find secret passages or ways around a seemingly impossible way to get to a cave offshoot. Think of what CAN be done, not what can’t, that is what made BOTW great.

Ascend is potentially one of the cooler ideas, depending on what they do with it. I'm imagining situations where there are actually chambers inside of buildings/caves that you can only get to using Ascend. It would be exciting to sometimes try to reach a mountain top and instead come across some chamber with loot inside the mountain.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i wonder if you can use the ascend ability to get to the sky islands

that would be fun, but also kinda easy

IMO they should let you always use Ascend, but if there's no surface for you Ascend to you get a game over of Link gradually being asphyxiated as he reaches extreme altitudes

RuBisCO posted:

I haven't played botw since 2017 so I don't care it might as well be a new map to me because of brain rot

In my case I just never played BotW that thoroughly, so I only really know stuff like "desert is in the bottom left, Zora on the right, etc."

I'm actually happier with the idea of a "changed BotW map," because it will allow for a lot of environmental storytelling through just seeing how things are different.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 29, 2023

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
I always :dafuq: at comments about BOTW not having enough story and cutscenes. I mean maybe I'm misremembering or its just recency bias... but it seems like between all the cutscenes, NPC dialogue, environmental cues, and item descriptions BOTW had more story and lore than all the other zelda games combined.

Just because that stuff wasn't on the critical path doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

For me, it felt like less story, just because it did that open world thing where you get bits and pieces that largely have to work in any order you run across them in. I don't know how it actually compares cumulatively, but I think that makes it feel lighter to me than the traditional style going through more linearly so it can be developed in more detail.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

we didn’t even know that the game had a building mechanic until a day ago. chill.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

loving hell...what's next friendly bokoblins? Ganondorf the shop-keeper selling me milk?! This isn't the Zelda of my youth...

It's a secret to everybody.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I am pretty excited for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When Xenoblade 2 and 3 got announced in random nintendo directs they had like, 20 minutes of cutscene and gameplay.

3 in particular showed way too much in its Direct, though. Nearly every single zone in the game is present in the trailer, which kind of sucked because I kept thinking "drat I've still just seen the trailer content, which must mean there are other cool zones I haven't seen" and then this just never happened and I realized that pretty much every zone except for the literal final zone of the game was in the trailers/Direct. Still a great game, but I was a bit bummed out at the end because I was expecting some big final act that never came.

One cool thing about BotW is that the game itself actually had a ton of stuff not in the trailers (even if it wasn't story content). If someone saw the trailer and thought "drat I wonder what sort of other places I'll find," they'd actually be satisfied/surprised by the actual game.

I generally agree with you that I'd like to see more story content in the game (not necessarily cutscenes though). I'll still enjoy it regardless, but my biggest gripe about BotW is the relative lack of NPC engagement. The weird NPCs are one of the best things about Zelda (and something BotW did very well during the limited times you did engage with them).

Palmtree Panic posted:

Its pretty refreshing that they showed so little of this game so far. Most games have huge media blow-outs where they show off most of everything.

Let us discover meat shields & stuff on our own.

I generally get "they're confident about the game" vibes from its marketing. I get similar vibes from the FF16 marketing.

For a very exaggerated example of a game that had bad vibes throughout all its marketing - Forspoken

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's interesting that BotW both got praised for innovating open-world games from critics and got called "empty sandbox" from fans who don't like it.

IMO BotW's world actually is kinda empty (you're rarely going to find anything aside from Korok seeds, shrines, or chests), but it has an extremely good look/feel (I guess you could say "vibes") that makes going around collecting doodads more enjoyable than in, say, your average Ubisoft title.

Also the shrines are cool and work well as a doodad to collect. The combination of "getting a (possibly) fun new puzzle" + "unlocking a new fast travel point" makes them feel better than just collecting something to fulfil a checklist.

I hope that they'll take advantage of having a lot of the work already done to populate the world with more interesting things to find/do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the thing is that the “emptiness” of BoTW isn’t uniform, some parts of the map are much more densely-packed with points of interest than others. Central Hyrule field is wide open and relatively empty because it’s the central space for riding around on your horse and the lack of cover makes it challenging to get past the guardians if you try to make a beeline to Ganon. Gerudo Desert is a Desert. But if you look at, like, the Hebra Mountains, Zora’s Domain, and Faron parts of the map, they’re pretty packed with stuff to find and do. Each part of the map pretty much has its own rhythm and character.