Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That part was a ton of fun and the people that used devices and paragliding to skip all of it are loving deranged

Well I think I still followed most of them, I just took some shortcuts. I ended up with one left in the nortwest corner of the 5th floor and I was already on the 5th floor so I was like eh, I'll just see if I can climb and fly over there and it worked. Otherwise I think I would have had to go back down to lower levels to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I stumbled upon the 3 Fires test on the sky island and got the Zonai fabric for the paraglider. Is it just me or does it seem to actually make the paraglider slightly faster?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I stumbled upon the 3 Fires test on the sky island and got the Zonai fabric for the paraglider. Is it just me or does it seem to actually make the paraglider slightly faster?

Just you.

How did you clear that? I stuck a flame emitter on the bottom of the hoverbike (it was a prick to keep the bike standing to get on it) and flew around the torches.

It was only after that I realised the intended method is to use the Zora armour

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Zora armor and looking around like a maniac. I used the phrenex bow for a bit of extra distance but it took me around 9 of the 12 “hours” to get all three

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah Zora armor and looking around like a maniac. I used the phrenex bow for a bit of extra distance but it took me around 9 of the 12 “hours” to get all three

you can use the zoom function of the pura pad in midair

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

And it drastically slows time while you're using it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Wait, what do you get this time for all korok seeds?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait, what do you get this time for all korok seeds?

poo poo, all

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol. Thank you mr. Miyamoto

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

you can use the zoom function of the pura pad in midair

I did, I'm just not good at spotting things some days :sweatdrop:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I've finally finished the game after buying it on release day and playing it on and off ever since. 250 hours, every shrine, every lightroot, every bubbul gem (I wasn't going to at first, but Koltin said I needed less than twenty by the time I finally got to Akkala (and still needed to do Lanayru), so I figured I might as well), about 200 more korok seeds than I needed, and as many sidequests and side adventures as I cared to do before my patience ran out. I'm missing two Sage's Wills but I just wanted it done, and I didn't care to upgrade Yunobo, the guy sat deactivated 90% of the time when I got him.

There was that one post a while back that had a bunch of great criticisms about the game, how it was fairly directionless compared to BotW and stuffed to the gills with too much to do and too much space to do it in. BotW was a tightly-structured experience, with the map balanced around Link's comparatively-limited range of movement, and each of the shrine's puzzles were designed around the tools that the game knew that you had. To add my own thoughts to the criticisms, while TotK is the better game mechanically, it feels like it ran out of ideas pretty quickly - there are so many things I can do, from attaching a flamethrower to a boomerang to building a whole-rear end hoverbike, but as a result of all this freedom, the game has no 'grip' on how I progress or approach a scenario. BotW knew that I could make blocks of ice, could manipulate metal, could create explosives, and could pause an object and whack it a bunch to store its momentum. In TotK, shrines usually gave me the tools to complete their puzzle internally, but I could also just fuse a rocket to a shield and skip it all.

Having freedom of options is a good thing, and I don't want to be the guy that says 'using all of the tools that the game gave you to craft a small scale Metal Gear REX is a bad thing, actually', but having so much freedom means it's also impossible to curate the experience. In BotW, going straight from Kakariko to Hateno was itself a journey on horseback, across creeks, near enemy camps, with the occasional stop at points of interest, everything that the developers specifically put in my way and could reasonably guess that I would encounter if I took one path and was mildly observant. In TotK, I'm given a platform with wings and taught to affix a pair of fans and optionally a rocket to it to just fly there.

It's impossible to balance a map around this. In BotW, venturing into a canyon was a commitment (ignoring that you could also fast travel out, but if you wanted to find another shrine or some other point of interest, you still had to huff it on foot). Mountains, canyons, rivers, and deserts aren't possible to curate in TotK, so instead, they just filled the map with stuff. Caves, big bosses, small bosses, the occasional Floormaster jumpscare, enemy camps, friendly camps, fortresses, wells, all of them filled with nothing - if you do one, you've done them all. I remember going along the southern coast towards Lurelin in BotW on my horse and not thinking much of it besides enjoying the view and maybe keeping an eye out for a korok/Kass; in TotK, in the same spot, I'm on my hoverbike with my eyes glued to the cliff instead of the ocean looking for caves and telling myself not to bother with the pirate ships because there's nothing on them that I want. And none of this even touches on how absolutely desolate the Depths are.

The whole ending sequence, starting with jumping into the chasm underneath the castle and ending with the final boss, was some of the best entertainment the game had to offer, because everything was tight, focused, and deliberate. It's underground, so I don't have the movement the game knows I'm capable of. It's linear, so they can put in obstacles in escalating difficulty (excepting the Lynel gatekeeper at the very start) to keep me engaged. At this point, my resources are so plentiful, and my defences are so high, and my weapons are so strong, that I had to self-impose some challenge, which turned out to be a better move because this stretch of game can get really trying and testy if you're not ready. To say nothing of the aesthetics - the music, the tone and atmosphere, the sound design, the creepiness of it all. And fighting Ganondorf was a real treat despite just being a beefier Phantom Ganon, especially when he started Flurry Rushing my own attacks back at me, and it turned into a game of us dodging each other's attacks in a row until someone screwed up.

I don't know; it's 4 AM, I might be rambling and idk if this post is making a lot of sense. All I really know is that the next game better involve the Triforce somehow. It's the most iconic symbol in the entire franchise and although it's all over the place in both BotW and TotK, nobody even thinks to ask what it means.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The criticism of TotK vs BotW can probably be summed up with: TotK is a better game, BotW was a better experience.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I like them both for different reasons along those lines. They can co-exist and are still masterpieces.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I loved them both but I don't think I'll replay TOTK any time soon.

It was amazing but absolutely daunting in a way that botw wasn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think I'll play BotW again any time soon either.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I barely slogged through BotW in multiple attempted playthroughs over the course of 5 years whereas TotK sucked me in immediately. BotW would have been a better experience in like 2007 but by the time it came out I was so jaded by open world games that I wasn't really impressed by anything it offered in that regard, plus it felt so desolate and empty compared to the lived-in world of most other Zelda games. TotK just felt so much more lively and doing stuff was just more fun. I will definitely play it again one day.

If BotW had the same power-switching wheel I might lighten up on it a bit but the UI was a big source of friction for me as well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BOTW was designed around using the Wii U game pad controller with touch screen. Essentially you play it holding the sheikah slate in your hand and could tap icons for the powers and the map, etc.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I am surprised at how many thing there are in TotK that I still haven't found or done yet after like 150 hours of gameplay. I still haven't murdered Kohga or even done any of the labyrinths.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had assumed I'd launch right into TotK after BotW but I kind of put down Breath after beating it and haven't found the desire to go back or start Tears. The above description of how the castle was tight in Tears sounds like the flip side of Breath to me, where I'd hyped up the castle in my mind but then swam up a waterfall to skip most of it.

One thing thats all too commonplace in todays landscape is reused assets. I didn't enjoy the lack of enemy variety in BotW and the copy-pasted enemy camps and skulls. I feel they coulda scaled back the land mass and overwhelming amount of seeds and shrines to tighten things up a bit, I think you can do that and still keep the adventurous spirit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TOTK definitely has more enemy variety, just by virtue of having all the same ones from the previous game plus a bunch more and new variants of the old ones

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I know it's necessary for getting materials or whatever but I often wish some of the enemies would just go away forever after you kill them. Friggin bokoblins getting in my way all the time.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It also makes the whole monster control squad thing seem kind of silly. What do you mean you're moving on? You know these guys will be back in a day or two.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The last dungeon, final boss, and ending of TotK are a loving grand-slam home run compared to BotW, they seriously knocked it out of the park this time around

BotW’s ending almost felt like an afterthought, like they made the rest of the game and then six months before release were like “wait, poo poo, we still have to do the ending” lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

No Zelda ending will ever top the bug catching kid getting better and catching bugs again or the OoT Hyrule dance party.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the concert and wedding ceremony at the end of Majora’s Mask would like to have a word with you

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The best Zelda ending is, was, and always will be Link's Awakening.

TotK was pretty cool though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

welp now the end of majora's mask is spoilered for me. guess i'll skip to wind waker.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

welp now the end of ocarina of time is spoilered for me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the bug kid gets better? what the gently caress

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

BOTW was designed around using the Wii U game pad controller with touch screen. Essentially you play it holding the sheikah slate in your hand and could tap icons for the powers and the map, etc.

It may have been designed like that at some point, but the Wii U version of BotW that was released just completely turns the gamepad screen off instead of having extra UI features over the Switch.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Augus posted:

the bug kid gets better? what the gently caress

And the old man is still lost :twisted:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Huh, never knew that. Kind of a shame, the Wii U pad would’ve worked great for that. I guess when the switch arrived they didn’t want to mess with two versions of the controls.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Despite adding a sky labyrinth and a depths labyrinth to each one I think they were actually more difficult in BoTW. There's really not much of a maze aspect here.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Huh, never knew that. Kind of a shame, the Wii U pad would’ve worked great for that. I guess when the switch arrived they didn’t want to mess with two versions of the controls.

Xenoblade X did what you are thinking of, and it DID rule.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Despite adding a sky labyrinth and a depths labyrinth to each one I think they were actually more difficult in BoTW. There's really not much of a maze aspect here.

It's because the sky labyrinth is the same and there isn't actually a depths labyrinth.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Labyrinth? You mean that thing that's trivialized by building a zonai flying machine of some kind? Yeah no wonder they aren't challenging. Imagine if the minotaur had a hoverbike. Crete would be hosed

The labyrinths were cool places to explore but I definitely didn't think of them as "challenges".

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My favorite labyrinth thing was right after completing the Hebra one, gloom hands come whipping around a corner. That was my first time encountering them and the jump scare got me good lol.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Docjowles posted:

My favorite labyrinth thing was right after completing the Hebra one, gloom hands come whipping around a corner. That was my first time encountering them and the jump scare got me good lol.

My first experience was seeing them going INTO that Labyrinth. I assumed they were exclusive to those mazes until "gently caress me theyre here too?!" :sludgepal:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Docjowles posted:

They weren't my first encounter with those, but it was the most memorable because I thought I was safe from them in the center of the maze and started getting cocky and taunting them behind the iron bars. And then I actually did the thing that completed it, and the bars all disappeared :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

For the longest time I fled the gloom hands until I learned how trivial they are to beat as long as you have x y and z but I guess that's Zelda for ya