Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dictator. posted:

good thing there's an apple mapped to one of the hotkeys.

Ooh, nice catch. I think it'll pop up a quick-select menu for materials (just like d-pad left/right do shields and weapons), to speed up cooking in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Now that is a loving trailer. I love this.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

That trailer music is incredibly good, I can't get over it.

My favorite moment is at 1:39, that is such a unique-sounding lead-in to that powerful BOOM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGShqcAHlQ&t=98s

(In addition to the epic theme from 2:10 onward obviously, that is sick as hell)

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 13, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Just watched the trailer. That looks like a lot of game, jeez. How do they even fit that much game onto a Switch cartridge?

Well, it is in fact the first Switch game to have a 32-gigabyte cartridge (until now the biggest game cards were 16 GB). However, the game still only takes 18.2 GB, which is impressive.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

So what you're saying is... the game COULD have been 13.8 GB bigger? :thunk:

In terms of physical card capacity, yeah. But of course plenty of people buy digital and Nintendo is pretty good at optimizing for space so they're not gonna waste space for no reason.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

Mortal Kombat 11 is like 32GB though and 64GB Switch cartridges appear to exist :confused:

https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051795173-Mortal-Kombat-11-Storage-Requirements-on-Nintendo-Switch

"While a portion of the game is on this card, players will still need to download a minimum of 24GB of game data to enjoy the whole experience Mortal Kombat 11 has to offer."

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Also I was wrong. There's been 2 games with 32GB cartridges already: The Witcher 3 & Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle.

But those seem to be the only ones, in the west at least.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

gently caress, there might be more 32GB cartridge games; I was operating on some very old info. Those games I saw mentioned are old enough that there may well have been more since and not get mentioned. Didn't find a list though.

The one thing I do know is that no Nintendo 1st-party games have used 32GB cartridges. But TOTK probably will.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 13, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

My Second Re-Reg posted:

The presence of the saxophone in the trailer music 100% makes me feel they learned the right lessons working with K/T

I kinda feel this might be my favorite videogame trailer music ever. Like I can't immediately think of anything that had nearly as effective music, except maybe Skyrim's trailer.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I love the music that plays on TOTK's official Japanese website. This game is going to have a great soundtrack.

Click "on" when you load the page (it's sound on/off):
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/totk/index.html

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

pentyne posted:

Not sure about the hammer/axe but the one you definitely need to keep is a torch, maybe a korok leaf(can't remember why).

This is no doubt due to differences in playstyles, but I'd always keep a sledgehammer or another mining tool plus an axe around but never a torch or a leaf. I feel like whenever those latter 2 become important to solve something, the game tends to provide you with the tool nearby. But ore deposits and axeable wooden things like crates are simply everywhere.

I also like to keep a flame weapon around to start fires easily, but that's less important because you always have some flint and/or fire arrows.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 16, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The gyro aiming in BOTW is definitely very good. Traysi's recommendation: ★★★★★

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Junpei posted:

have they said anything about a save bonus in Tears for having a BOTW save file

They have not, as far as I know.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Is this the Giant Horse?

I named him Potoooooooo

Gonna mention that the implication is that this horse is related to Ganondorf's horse in Ocarina of Time. It looked quite similar and was also huge.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Looks like a plot summary?

That's pretty obviously what it is. Previously on The Legend of Zelda...

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I have no dislike towards traditional Zelda dungeons but I think BOTW did the right thing by not featuring any but replacing them with a bunch of micro- and mini-dungeons and focusing on overworld exploration instead. That served this particular game well.

I wouldn't mind seeing some traditional dungeons again in TOTK, but at this point I trust the devs regardless.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

tsob posted:

This is a pretty common sentiment, but why do the Divine Beasts not count as traditional dungeons in Breath of the Wild? They're certainly as big and involved as a lot of Zelda dungeons, they have a map you have to unlock, you get something from each to help with the rest of the game in the champion's power and personal weapons etc. It just seems weird to me that people act like the game had no dungeons :confused:

I feel the Divine Beasts are quite short and small compared to the dungeons in the previous two big-console Zeldas at least. Also the lack of distinct visual design separating them from each other and virtually no enemies besides the bosses make them lesser than "true" dungeons in my mind. That's why I tend to describe them as "mini-dungeons" and the Shrines as "micro-dungeons".

But like I said, I think this design choice suited this game very well.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mahoning posted:

So me and the kiddo are playing Skyward Sword HD and just did the first like dark realm or whatever it’s called thing where you collect the tears, and somehow when I played this game when it first came out it never occurred to me that those sections are basically Pac-Man.

That's true. And there was even an earlier instance in the series where they used the same idea, the short Dark Realm section in Spirit Tracks. And there the Pac-Man influence is actually much more obvious, because you're moving within a similar maze as in Pac-Man and you have interconnected teleports that make the playing area wrap around similarly as in Pac-Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCuWDreAOc&t=85s
(jump to 1:25)

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Okay I actually looked into it and while Blood Moons can be triggered by memory nearing its limits, they are also somewhat scheduled, to the point where one guy at Dueling Peaks Stable can tell you during the day if that night will have a Blood Moon. The more you know!

And non-emergency Blood Moons always hit at exactly midnight 12:00, and you can see the red moon rising much earlier than that. At 11:30 (so 30 seconds before in real time) you'll start getting clear audio cues that it's coming.

These are just my experiences, I haven't looked anything up. I didn't know about the elixir-cooking boost either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

a.lo posted:

Are youy allowed to pre install this game on the eshop

This is what my eShop preorder confirmation mail says:

"Payment will be collected no sooner than seven days before the official release date, and the download will start immediately upon the successful completion of payment."

So I'd say yes?