Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finally got BotW. I've only ever played LttP. I'm so annoyed with it a lot of the time, but I cant stop playing. I cannot believe they thought up the weapon damage system to begin with, and then actually went ahead and implemented it. And no way to repair! Just really gives you that anti-player feeling from the NES days. Stamina, especially as it relates to swimming, really should have been adjusted as well. I remember memes comparing it to Dark Souls at launch, it comes nowhere near it in terms of difficulty, or most other ways. But I keep wanting to come back.

I usually try to not look anything up during a first playthrough of a game but I've gotten basically no hints about recipes aside from the item descriptions so I used a website to track my inventory and tell me what I can make. Why do most of the recipes just...do nothing? According to the website anyway, there are a ton that offer no health or status bonuses.

I like having the lay of the land, I'm not all that deep in the story but I have basically the east half of the map exposed, sometimes at my own peril. I did reach the northern lab and get the ancient equipment so I was able to go back to the central tower and defeat the few surrounding guardians and reach the top. I've completed the elephant beast but not much else as far as the story goes. Perhaps owing to the fact that I've stayed in the east so far, enemy variety is kind of disappointing. And what with the weapon condition degrading, I'm often conflicted as to how to mine poo poo. I try to keep an iron sledgehammer, but failing that, using the bombs makes the gems fly to gently caress. I'm not even sure what good they are really, aside from selling.

Racked up like 16 korok seeds, also no idea what they do. I assume the counter on the loading screen, one of them is how many shrines you've done? If so, I'm up to 29 I think. I've gotten 2 stamina upgrades and the rest, hearts. When I found the test of strength shrines, I thought I was really in for it when I got to the major one. Easy peasy. I assumed there was just the one set of those but I've discovered there are at least 2. I like using the powerful weapons to just dummy hinoxes but I keep having fomo about how I'm going to deal with end game poo poo if I wear out the good weapons now.

Feels like its going to take forever to beat this, which is good, but I'm hoping to get this and Tears done before the Elden Ring DLC drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haven't seen dude since he gave me the paraglider. Kinda like my first time playing Morrowind where I was level 50 something when I finally went to see Caius Cosades in Balmora

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok I thought you were talking about the guy who gave me the paraglider. I'll have to look into that this evening. I thought I was doomed with the limited starting inventory space forever.

Slate has already been updated, that I took care of. I've even upgraded two of my abilities with the ancient bits and bolts.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 6, 2024

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I did make it to that place, is that the one where I go to some important old lady and there is some younger girl outside when I first go in? There is one of those orbs with the orange design sitting behind the old lady to the left? I have unlocked a memory or two and learned about stables, though I've mostly spurned horses while simultaneously complaining to myself about how far I have to run everywhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Found him, what a rip that you only get two upgrades before he fucks off, quite a ways away.

Looks like at this point it's up to me to find the next beast to tackle.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, I ended up going with one shield, two bow and three weapon, where I will put the rest from now on. I only have half the map explored and not even fully, so I imagine there must be dozens more seeds to be found yet.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Went back and hosed up the lightning minotaur guy, and in subsequent adventuring found two more. Still annoyed at my damage output, meanwhile I've killed hinoxes with a single 2H whirlwind attack before they could even stand up. It feels a bit defeating, so easily being able to snipe guardians now with one hit but being such a grind to get more arrows, which I'm only going to use to extend the cycle. Found and conquered two labyrinths as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on some variant of elixir in order to conquer the next divine beast. I nearly have the full ancient set, still missing the climbing gear boots and likewise for the barbarian set but I dunno if I'll wind up using that much.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Even with the extremely powerful weapons the Lionel's are a decent health sponge. But that's on purpose, they're supposed to be big scary overworld bosses. It's ok to not fight things in this game if it's not fun to fight them

Again, relative to Souls this game is pretty easy and the crit windows are very generous. But almost makes me want to switch to m&kb just to make shooting them in the face easier. Kinda stupid also how I can block some of his attacks but not others? And I'm not talking about the big charge, like sometimes I can block a sword swipe but others get me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny, I play Dark Souls, slog through the many poisonous swamps, no big deal. But traversing the various extreme element regions in BotW feels like such a chore. I guess because the elixirs are harder to come by. I've revealed the whole map now and taken down 2 beasts, with the desert and death mountain left to go. Surely theres a way into Gerudo town without paying 600 bones to drag my way in? (I want to find out on my own) I'm just here trying to save your loving village, let me the gently caress in. Kinda fearful for what lies further out in the desert where I can see a dragon skeleton.

I found another Lynel in the snowy region, boy does that motherfucker pack a punch. I'm guessing I cant cheese the master sword trial by using an extra hearts buff? I'm up to 14 now, not sure how far I have to go. Really too bad they fumbled the weapon durability mechanic and there isn't more enemy variety. Its still a great game but could have been that much better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Prior to BotW I've only ever played LttP (instead of a variance on .com should all nintendo related URLs begin with Lttp://?). I believe I still have a copy of the gold cart NES Zelda that was in a shed in the back of my buddys landlord's property about 15 years ago before retro prices got out of hand (landlord's son gave me the game as well as some other stuff that was in that milk crate). Still somewhat doubtful I'm gonna be able to clear BotW at my current pace AND TotK before Elden Ring DLC comes out but I do plan on backtracking the series someday.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I haven't slept yet in my BotW run. Does it even restore health?

I wish you could kill NPCs. I got a lil irrationally mad when dude wanted me to pay him a fee to partake in his gliding research.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've found cash to be pretty rare so far. And I hate killing animals unless they attack me so I never have a ton of meat. Do you ever get a bug net to make catching dragonflies and fairies easier?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My father was a fisherman. I've lived by the ocean all my life. I've caught big Atlantic cod. Let me just say, gently caress Fishing in Videogames.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man, these Yiga guys are a pushover. They musta intended for me to come to Gerudo first? What do you mean I cant take on all the guards at once? Oh gently caress

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How many shrines in BotW?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've gone and done it alright. Eventide. I've killed everything, even the hinox cheesed it by throwing bombs from the nearby elevated platform. Trying to figure out how to get the slate off the final altar and I use a bomb to detonate one of the explosive barrels. The orb was too close by and it went right down to the ocean. Why would they let you do that?

I've been able to get it halfway up the hill but I can't find any other paths I don't slip on, can't throw it anywhere useful. I remembered the trick with using force on an object locked in stasis but it doesn't seem enough. What a rip

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Turns out if you blast it far enough from shore it resets in its original place

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe there are 120 shrines in botw. I've only found like less than 70 and I've been what feels like everywhere. Now if I can only find out what I need to do in the level 2 region of death mountain, cause my elixirs aren't cutting it. Someone told me someone at the foothills stable would know but they ain't tell me poo poo (again, wanna find out on my own).

Having a much easier time with the Lynels now that I'm practicing the dodge techniques I've been ignoring most of the game. Weapon durability still stupid.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spears definitely ftw. Too bad their damage is so low to offset how versatile and fast they are. And that you cant use them 1H with a shield :argh:

So does the master sword not break, but just have to "recharge" as someone said above? I gotta be getting close to being able to pull it out but I'm just leaving it figuring I might as well save it for the end game. Guardians are trivial at this point anyway. I dont even mind the Yiga popping up since I did their quest. Guys are pushovers and are free money basically. I've only had one of the bigger guys appear and even they ain't nothin to sweat 1v1.

Loaded my game yesterday and found myself atop the Eldin tower. Sighed a little bit remembering I was kinda stuck. Said gently caress it and started traipsing up the hill towards death mountain, eventually found what I needed to advance. Boy oh boy I wish they didn't make things like interacting with the great fairies so tedious. The amount of time it takes to upgrade a set of armor is unreal, you should be able to skip through much faster. And then things like using the camera, and whats normally the back button suddenly becomes the selfie button...just heinous.

I've read posts about the caves and sky islands in Tears, how close is the main overworld to how its presented in BotW?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy sweet adorable gently caress knuckles. Took care of death mountain, boss was too easy, didn't take one hit. Might as well go grab the sword now. Had tons of hearts leftover, could have gotten it much sooner. Save and quit.

Fire up the game today. What are these trials? Whole time I'm just hoping there isn't one with a lynel. Well, that was easy. Oh, there's a second (and obviously third) tier? Medium trials took a few tries. Got frustrated with the final trials, kept thinking I was close to the end. Get to the ice golem thing, one shots me cause I kept loving up grabbing the fairies at the break level. Well that fuckin sucks. I gave in and went and checked out if that really was the final level...yeah I'm not trying that again. I dunno whats waiting for me at the castle but I'm sure I can handle it with the sword the way it is.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Speaking of Ganon, took him down. I was struggling with how vague the clues were for those new trials I unlocked in the 4 regions, then looked it up and realized thats part of the DLC.

Hyrule was pretty easy especially seeing I just used the Zora armor to swim up some waterfalls and reached the top in no time. Took entirely too long to realize what I had to do once he turned orange. Strange the game didn't seem to give me any chance to save afterwards, I see a star in my most recent savegame but its right before I did the last fight. Not sure if I wanna move on to tears yet or not.

For anyone else who never figured it out, having an elemental weapon equipped helps tip your body temperature in the logical direction. So if your armor isn't keeping you cool/warm enough, having a flame sword or blizzard rod etc just equipped will help you out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had assumed I'd launch right into TotK after BotW but I kind of put down Breath after beating it and haven't found the desire to go back or start Tears. The above description of how the castle was tight in Tears sounds like the flip side of Breath to me, where I'd hyped up the castle in my mind but then swam up a waterfall to skip most of it.

One thing thats all too commonplace in todays landscape is reused assets. I didn't enjoy the lack of enemy variety in BotW and the copy-pasted enemy camps and skulls. I feel they coulda scaled back the land mass and overwhelming amount of seeds and shrines to tighten things up a bit, I think you can do that and still keep the adventurous spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I found BotW was chock full of content without feeling too exhaustive right until near the end, and the castle being a wet fart kinda compounded that downturn and left me, not with a sour taste in my mouth but not on the same high I felt playing the rest of the game.

I'm not sure if I can play Tears now. I decided to start a Dark Souls 3 game yesterday and boy did the (more natural, superior) controls take a while to get used to again after Nintendo's dumbery. I know Nintendo has literally never gotten a controller anywhere close to right, but we borrowed Mario Wonder from my brother and I was giving that a try as well and the analog stick being right under the face buttons...lunacy.