Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean it wasn't all that crazy before, and with how much could be circumvented I'd say it actually makes sense to use land that most people haven't seriously interacted with even if they completed the game 100%, especially since it lets them actually add detail or features that would otherwise not be practical if they had to do it ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I feel like there are tradeoffs to having the entire map terrain be easily accessible with little to no limit. Like the heartpiece dungeons in previous games and stuff like that were cool, and you could have neat little architectural set pieces that don't make sense if you can just go around without ever encountering it.

Presumably the sky islands and caves may be an answer to this, allowing for little cut off areas that don't have as much climbable parts so they can actually make various puzzles that wouldn't work otherwise. Likewise while I didn't like weapons breaking in the previous game my hope is they're aware of some of the issues and tried to address them to make the not so fun parts of it less egregious. It makes more sense that a weapon made of cobbled together parts breaks than it does for a top of the line sword to shatter in a couple dozen swings for example.

No one has to stop liking the game just because I've got things I'd like to see different. Feedback is just another part of games.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Augus posted:

focusing on the number of things per square mile kinda misses the point, part of what I and a lot of people found refreshing about botw is that it wasn't a game like this:

botw has lots of space to let the world breathe and let you spot landmarks off in the distance, it lets exploration happen naturally instead of jiggling a dozen different keys in front of your face constantly.

That I will agree with. Less is often more, and what I'd suggest with regards to the korok seeds would have been to have less of them, rather than more. Expansive terrain is also usable In more focused games as well, with Hyrule field often being a major example in a lot of Zelda games. In this respect I think it'd be nice to have a nice ambient landscape/architecture design that is allowed to focus on visuals and gameplay by carefully balancing what is and isn't accessible, since too much restriction in play area can prevent certain puzzles from making sense, and too little can also make it difficult to design a dungeon.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean I remember whole cliff scaffold area near the desert that got actual use. Just populating that and adding some other bits to make it a full on level would completely change it up.

The main thing is that if they use this to put a personal touch in areas that were just 'generic treehouse' before everyone is gonna love it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

wow the "this is just BotW DLC" folks are real quiet huh

I believe you are mistaking an interview where one of the developers said it started out as dlc and they decided it was too big for that and then just continued it into a full game for a complaint.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Augus posted:

lol people have been whining about it for months, do you live in a cave

? I think I've seen some people who were concerned, but not any committed flame wars over it. If there have been sorry, not trying to be obstinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Errant thought, but what if the nature of the Fierce Deity of Majora's mask makes some connection to link as demise/hylia do to Ganondorf/zelda? This would make another trinity to replace the three goddesses, perhaps with one usually benevolent, one malevolent, and one perhaps flipping as needed?