Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Greens alone are not nearly hearty enough for a vegetable curry. Although now that I think about it there aren't any potatoes in Hyrule, what the gently caress?!

The Hylian conquistadors haven't discovered fantasy Peru yet, I guess. Someone update the timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I never used the sword, but presumably you could use it for good respawning base weapons? I also never used the pot, but you could use it for rare ingredients like truffles? And I also never used the chest, but I guess that would work for respawning chests? Or maybe I should have marked caves with chests instead of stars...

Person = stables where I've already helped Penn and found the wells (and wells outside of stables), and also occasionally to mark quest people I needed to return to

Diamond inside diamond = I used this to mark unpaired shrines/lightroots

Heart = catchable fairies

Star = star islands in the sky, and rare critters on the ground (stealth trout and smotherwing butterflies, for example), so I knew which areas to revisit to find more later. I'd also switch pins to stars when marking caves after using cherry trees.

Skull = bosses and minibosses (in early game to avoid, in late game to hunt)

Leaf = travelling koroks that I am not doing right now

Ore = gold ore deposits, plus big walls of zonaite in the depths and clumps of luminous stones in the sky

I can't use them except for categorical uses like this because my brain is a sieve and I absolutely will not remember anything otherwise. I still occasionally do mark purges when I realise I've been using a mark too 'broadly' and no longer recognise what most of them are actually marking on the map.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Huh, it never occurred to me to look at the embers, I just watched which way the fog was blowing.

I looked up at the clouds, and if I remember right there was a musical/audio cue that told you when you needed to change direction so I got through by racing forward, abruptly staring at the sky to see which way the clouds had started moving, then abruptly changing direction and racing off again.

I thought it was a very nice evolution from OoT, which had the mist and the musical cues to lead you through.