Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Dropped TotK for BG3 (which I dropped for Need For Speed (which I dropped for Super Mario RPG)) and I'm finally back into it.

Man, the whole Spirit Temple quest is very silly, in a good and fun way.

I was starting to get bored with the game when I dropped it, so one challenge I had taken to doing to spice things up a bit was that I can only heal at campfires that I did not make myself. Enemy camps, traveller camps, stables, and towns usually have at least one kicking around somewhere. I can make my own campfire to pass the time or to fuel an updraft with an acorn, but I can't heal at it. I can eat food or drink potions for effects if I'm not at a fire, but only if they don't heal any hearts, i.e. a potion does not heal me or I am already at max HP so eating food is fair game. Healing by completing a shrine or collecting a Heart Container is fair game. Fairies can be used to enhance food but cannot be used to revive from death. If it's raining, lmao good luck with that. It has to be a campfire, not some wild brushfire that an enemy started with a Fire Fruit, etc.

I could just sell all my hearts to the demon trader and run around with no armour, but this challenge is meant to make things more interesting, not to give myself some gamer cred or whatever. Things can get tense in the middle of a cave or against a Gleeok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

In hindsight it should probably have been a bit more concerning that Hyrule was built on a sinkhole the size of a continent

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

(There's, like, 700. But you only need about 340 before you max out)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I've finally finished the game after buying it on release day and playing it on and off ever since. 250 hours, every shrine, every lightroot, every bubbul gem (I wasn't going to at first, but Koltin said I needed less than twenty by the time I finally got to Akkala (and still needed to do Lanayru), so I figured I might as well), about 200 more korok seeds than I needed, and as many sidequests and side adventures as I cared to do before my patience ran out. I'm missing two Sage's Wills but I just wanted it done, and I didn't care to upgrade Yunobo, the guy sat deactivated 90% of the time when I got him.

There was that one post a while back that had a bunch of great criticisms about the game, how it was fairly directionless compared to BotW and stuffed to the gills with too much to do and too much space to do it in. BotW was a tightly-structured experience, with the map balanced around Link's comparatively-limited range of movement, and each of the shrine's puzzles were designed around the tools that the game knew that you had. To add my own thoughts to the criticisms, while TotK is the better game mechanically, it feels like it ran out of ideas pretty quickly - there are so many things I can do, from attaching a flamethrower to a boomerang to building a whole-rear end hoverbike, but as a result of all this freedom, the game has no 'grip' on how I progress or approach a scenario. BotW knew that I could make blocks of ice, could manipulate metal, could create explosives, and could pause an object and whack it a bunch to store its momentum. In TotK, shrines usually gave me the tools to complete their puzzle internally, but I could also just fuse a rocket to a shield and skip it all.

Having freedom of options is a good thing, and I don't want to be the guy that says 'using all of the tools that the game gave you to craft a small scale Metal Gear REX is a bad thing, actually', but having so much freedom means it's also impossible to curate the experience. In BotW, going straight from Kakariko to Hateno was itself a journey on horseback, across creeks, near enemy camps, with the occasional stop at points of interest, everything that the developers specifically put in my way and could reasonably guess that I would encounter if I took one path and was mildly observant. In TotK, I'm given a platform with wings and taught to affix a pair of fans and optionally a rocket to it to just fly there.

It's impossible to balance a map around this. In BotW, venturing into a canyon was a commitment (ignoring that you could also fast travel out, but if you wanted to find another shrine or some other point of interest, you still had to huff it on foot). Mountains, canyons, rivers, and deserts aren't possible to curate in TotK, so instead, they just filled the map with stuff. Caves, big bosses, small bosses, the occasional Floormaster jumpscare, enemy camps, friendly camps, fortresses, wells, all of them filled with nothing - if you do one, you've done them all. I remember going along the southern coast towards Lurelin in BotW on my horse and not thinking much of it besides enjoying the view and maybe keeping an eye out for a korok/Kass; in TotK, in the same spot, I'm on my hoverbike with my eyes glued to the cliff instead of the ocean looking for caves and telling myself not to bother with the pirate ships because there's nothing on them that I want. And none of this even touches on how absolutely desolate the Depths are.

The whole ending sequence, starting with jumping into the chasm underneath the castle and ending with the final boss, was some of the best entertainment the game had to offer, because everything was tight, focused, and deliberate. It's underground, so I don't have the movement the game knows I'm capable of. It's linear, so they can put in obstacles in escalating difficulty (excepting the Lynel gatekeeper at the very start) to keep me engaged. At this point, my resources are so plentiful, and my defences are so high, and my weapons are so strong, that I had to self-impose some challenge, which turned out to be a better move because this stretch of game can get really trying and testy if you're not ready. To say nothing of the aesthetics - the music, the tone and atmosphere, the sound design, the creepiness of it all. And fighting Ganondorf was a real treat despite just being a beefier Phantom Ganon, especially when he started Flurry Rushing my own attacks back at me, and it turned into a game of us dodging each other's attacks in a row until someone screwed up.

I don't know; it's 4 AM, I might be rambling and idk if this post is making a lot of sense. All I really know is that the next game better involve the Triforce somehow. It's the most iconic symbol in the entire franchise and although it's all over the place in both BotW and TotK, nobody even thinks to ask what it means.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Not only did I not clear the storm to do Mineru's quest, I also found the shrine without clearing the storm clouds because I thought brute forcing it would be faster (I hadn't even started the Ring Ruins quest by that point so I was probably right). Clearing the storm was one of the last things I did on my run.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It's very satisfying going from being absolutely terrified of the Hands and hurriedly looking for any way out whenever they pop up, to seeing the sky turn red and dark and hearing their shrill cry and responding with "oh, it's that kind of night, is it?!" and slapping their poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I actually preferred to use Dazzlefruit since Bomb Flowers were always in short supply my entire 250 hour run.