Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As far as we know there’s only 10 minutes of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Bold choice to have paint on links tum that creates the impression that somebody tried to give him Pinkbelly and then slowly dragged their hand down to his dick.

I mean, it's not surprising. Everyone in the game wants to gently caress Link and it's not subtle.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
No I absolutely want that to happen again

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Super Mario Bros (1985) Ending EXPLAINED

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: Twilight Princess is the much more refined and modern OoT. It feels more modern than Skyward Sword.

OoT is like most late 90’s games where they were cool at the time but are clunky and cumbersome now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The last boss will be Link, possessed by whoever, while playing as Zelda.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good videos or something that explains the tech behind BotW? Like for instance when you're way up high and it feels like you can see most of the map. I know it's not really rendering everything and you do see pop-in sometimes as you get closer to things, but overall it does a pretty good job of seeming like everything you can see from your vantage point is rendered and not some visual trick. But I'm assuming there are tons of visual tricks used that are integrated seamlessly. Like how there are times when a big mountain or location like Hyrule castle appears in the distance but seems a lot closer than it actually is or bigger than it should be at that distance.

e: especially considering it's doing all this on a Switch, and you don't experience framerate drops from up high, though you do in the more object-filled villages and such.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 23, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Link, I need you to round up my cuccos. Please, I'm desperate! I'll pay you!

(Closeup of Link's face)

Link: *sighs*

(smash cut to comedic montage of Link trying to capture cuccoos, with a needle drop of Dolly Parton's '9 to 5')

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just realized I've had this game for eight months and have never really posted my thoughts about it. Not that anyone asked, but I just feel the need to mentally check the box of posting my thoughts on it somewhere. So, apologizes in advance for the random negative longpost.

Something I'm sick of hearing is how "BotW is like a tech demo of TotK", because for me, the exact opposite holds true. While I will agree that in some ways BotW was a tad "empty", and there were certainly some janky "unfinished" aspects, like how the majority of the items you picked up had no real use, I feel that [with the DLC] it had just the right amount of stuff to do. TotK, on the other hand, feels like they took BotW and absolutely loaded it to the loving brim with distractions and filler.

BotW was all about simplicity and elegance. You pick a direction you haven't been yet, you go that direction. The fun is making your way across the land and exploring and surviving. Along the way to your destination you encounter things to do and complete, but they never really feel like they're competing for your focus from the main quest. There was subtlety and simplicity to everything about the design, and the result was that the game had a perfect feeling of "flow" that was perfect for a chill gaming experience. BotW did and still does feel like an antithesis of modern gaming because of that simplicity, whereas TotK is very much a bloated, modern game that is constantly in-your-face and guiding and distracting you to make sure you experience the things you are supposed to experience, and in the correct way.

TotK is overwhelming with constant, endless distractions. Endless things competing for your attention. Tons of hand-holding and directing. Every NPC you talk to makes sure to triple re-iterate everything they want you to know and do, for instance. In BotW it was fun to talk to to random NPCs because most of them would just have some random thing to say, but in TotK probably 90% of them are giving you a blatant hint or direction.

BotW also managed to never really feel like a grind. By exploring any new area you basically naturally collected enough resources to level up and advance without specifically needing to go out of your way to do so. TotK, on the other hand, requires you to grind like hell to level up pretty much anything.

One of the biggest mistakes IMO was allowing you to launch yourself all over the map, skipping any sense of exploration. Maybe they understood that we didn't need to explore the same map again, but that just drives home the feeling that I can never escape when playing this game, and that is that I would much rather have had an entirely new map to explore rather than a bunch of filler added to the existing one to skip around on. Yes, there's The Depths, but they're an absolute slog to explore, and the sky islands are just too sparse to really feel like much of an exploration.

The story - neither are great, but I can't stand how TotK tries to walk the line between being a sequel to BotW and it's own thing at the same time. For this it is narratively worse than BotW.

Crafting and building - I don't care about it at all. People say you can mostly ignore it for the main game, but this isn't entirely true. Most puzzles in the game require some form of crafting. The rare instances where you have to craft something to traverse a land obstacle are also annoying because it's always just best to just build the most basic things, which is tedious. "But - autobuilder!" Yeah, it's great for a little bit until you run out of materials to build and have to go back down to the Depths and grind away for more. Weapon crafting also sucks and just makes the weapon breaking that much more annoying, because now you not only waste time crafting the weapon, but you lose two resources when they break.

Finally - the "temples". My overall opinion of this game could have been raised significantly if the temples had been proper Zelda temples like they hinted at. But instead they're easy as poo poo, "activate 4 or 5 things", a rehash of the Divine Beasts without the fun element of controlling the structure. The act of getting to them is kind of cool, but is also preceded by a lot of filler consisting of being sent back and forth to talk to different characters for no real reason other than padding.

I don't know, I could keep going on and on but I'll stop here. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a lot of cool stuff in this game, but overall I find it to be a worse experience than BotW in just about every way, to the point where it seems like the legacy of BotW has been tarnished a little. I played the hell out of BotW and completed everything you could do, including the DLC and minus the 900 Korok seeds, in just a few months. Eight months in and I have only done half of the main quest of TotK and I can only manage to muster up playing it for an hour or two every few weeks. I have no desire at this point to do everything and will probably eventually just finish the main quest and never play it again.

Tl;dr: IMO TotK is a bloated mess of a game that actively works against much of what made BotW so memorable. It's a frustrating and grind-heavy game that lacks the elegance and flow of BotW.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The world in BOTW felt more like you were visiting a place that hadn't seen a visitor in a long time.

Yeah, definitely. I am a sucker for games that can make you feel isolated and alone (maybe because I work with so many people during the day? idk), but BotW had this in strides. Especially in the earlier moments of the game when you're literally just fighting your way through the wilderness trying to survive on scraps, fighting with sticks, and low health.

The way you could just pick a direction or destination on the map of BotW and adventure your way there, making reasonable progress without too much distraction, was a very zen-like experience for me. TotK seems to actively go out of its way to discourage that by overwhelming and bombarding you with stuff and encouraging you to launch yourself everywhere and skip directly to the quest beacons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Skyward Sword did at least have something resembling proper Zelda dungeons (which Fi constantly gave away the solutions to).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe I made it 100 hours into the game before realizing that the UI compass map changes to reflect whatever map you last looked at on the Purah Pad. This makes exploring the depths considerably less of a slog because it's a little easier to see what isn't scalable or if there's an easier passage since the depths mirror the surface. You of course have to have the surface map unlocked too.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So after chasing "Zelda" around the castle forever, I came to the 5 phantom Ganons battle and I noped out of it because I assumed that was like a pre-battle to the final battle that would be coming up shortly after. So I spent an entire afternoon gathering supplies and leveling up some armor. Oops lol nope there's still a significant chunk of the game left.

On the one hand, it's cool that there's more game, on the other hand it was a little annoying because I was mentally set to finish the game today. And it's a symptom of a bigger problem this game has, and it's that everything feels extremely padded out in a way that BotW never did.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat the game. What an ending, which I assume is not quite as grand if you don't get all five sages. But with them I feel like it was easily among the best video game endings I have seen, much better than BotW's ending.

As far as the game as a whole, I think I've come up with this conclusion - for me, the game is:

A - 50% "this is easily one of the best games of all time"

B- 25% "This aspect was better in BotW"

C - 25% "This is kind of dumb/bad"

Point A - As a proper game, this really does have a significant edge of BotW. The things you do are more epic, the main quests are more grand, and there's so many "holy poo poo that's insane" moments.

Point B - Yet, in some ways I still think I preferred the overall more carefree and laid back experience of BotW better. I'll try not to make a huge detailed rant post like I did pages back in this thread, but various things like how most of the shrines in TotK are clearly an afterthought. Most are either training/tutorials, a "strip you of everything" battle, or a Rauru's Blessing. Or perhaps how BotW feels mostly like Link surviving in "the wild" but this feels much more akin to a packed to the brim modern game.

Point C - Off the top of my head, the two biggest negatives for me were the depths, and the fact that the game forces you to grind and pads everything out in a way that BotW did not. The depths were just an absolute slog through and through for me aside from the temples that were down there. I believe that each region should instead had its own smaller section of the depths, and more focus should have been placed on making the sky islands more interesting as well as the temples and shrines.

Oh, and finally, the other big negative for me was crafting. I never really enjoyed it. Way too much emphasis was placed on it. I found it tedious and often frustrating, even with Autobuild. You really have to grind to have any real fun with your vehicle creations and/or use autobuild to your advantage, so most of the time it's really just: I need to get up there, sigh, guess I'll craft the drat hot air balloon again.." or some variation of that.

I think both games definitely have their place in top/most notable video games of all time, but I'd really like for the next major installment to be a middle ground between Twilight Princess (my personal favorite Zelda) and these.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hot (or maybe not so hot) take - people should reconsider still ranking OoT so highly. It's absolutely one of the most important and influential games of all time, but the gameplay does not hold up. Windwaker and Twilight Princess hold up tremendously better, especially their HD remasters with QoL improvements. (whyyy can't we get them on Switch??)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Manoueverable posted:

Personally, I don't think TP holds up very well at all. It's carried pretty heavily by the Midna dynamic and looks a lot better in light of Skyward Sword, but I've still played through it twice and been thoroughly underwhelmed each time. Granted, I never played the HD version because of having played the original release twice over, so I don't know the QoL improvements, but it's where the formula really began to show its bloat.

I can understand that. I kind of see TP as the more refined, still enjoyable to play version of OoT, but I can see how that can make it seem redundant to some. Still, I think it has the best traditional dungeons of the 3D games. What I would love is for the next game to combine the freedom of BotW/TotK with dungeons like TP had.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I cant believe there are 120 shrines in botw. I've only found like less than 70 and I've been what feels like everywhere. Now if I can only find out what I need to do in the level 2 region of death mountain, cause my elixirs aren't cutting it. Someone told me someone at the foothills stable would know but they ain't tell me poo poo (again, wanna find out on my own).

Having a much easier time with the Lynels now that I'm practicing the dodge techniques I've been ignoring most of the game. Weapon durability still stupid.

In BotW you should just buy the DLC, it gives you a bunch of features that are standard in TotK but also some fun additional quests. The "hero's path" feature allows you to see everywhere you have walked on the map and is very useful for finding the remaining shrines.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I feel that BotW is somewhat incomplete without the DLC. Since many of its features were just included in TotK, they should just make it free at this point.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can actually go down and fight Ganon without doing basically any of the main quests, just like in BotW (which never really sat right in my brain for some reason). When you do the main quest out of order it just inserts little lines of dialogue like "Oh, you already got/found ____! Great!"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I felt like both BotW and TotK significantly improve when you get the Master Sword. Once I got it I used it until it needed to recharge every time. I think it's partially because I hate the two handed weapons that don't allow you to use the shield and are slow so always having a powerful sword on hand was nice.

Martman posted:

The botw/totk Link is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Accepting that makes the games vibe a lot better imo

Absolutely. So many of the side quests are some NPC being like "oh, if only I could _____" like its their lifelong goal and then Link just does it easily and takes a photo of it or shows off the treasure he got from it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Night is also 2 hours shorter. Both BotW and TotK consider 5:00 AM to be the start of "day" and 9:00 PM to be the start of "night", but in TotK the sun rises at 3:00 AM for some reason. This bugged me because I prefer the game at night more, but if I had to guess, it's because the depths meant that you'd be in dark conditions more often and they wanted to offset that a little.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
After completing BotW I still felt compelled to keep playing and find all the shrines, but for some reason I have no desire to find anymore in TotK. I've found about 70. They've just been mostly disappointing. Most are either a tutorial, a quick game, a blessing, or a "removed all your items" battle. I think only two have had me slightly stumped so far. BotW had many that were pretty fleshed out.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’ve always thought their little sound they make after the ah ha ha but sounds like ‘eat poo poo’

I mean, that's what they're giving you after all

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Zelda didn't realize he was Ganon because she needed a cooked endura carrot to get her mind moving at full speed, but only Link knows how to do that

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there another way to do it? That's exactly how I did it and I assumed that was the correct way. I tried every other way to get through the Lost Woods but couldn't.

And yeah I also liked that many of the bigger quests in the game were big enough to consume a whole evening.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I encountered two bugs in the game.

Early on, you could go to Impa to try out a hot air balloon for the first time and it would allow you to do it before you actually got the paraglider. I managed to do this and the only way down was to jump to your death. I have heard that this was patched shortly after.

Second, on Eventide Island, the final batch of monsters near the top of the island would keep insisting there were two left but I looked everywhere and could not find them. I had to reload the most recent save, which then allowed me to complete the quest. This same error happened as I watched my friend play through Eventide.

But that's all I can think of.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Man, BotW and TotK have spoiled me. As much as I had nitpicks about them, I poured hundreds of hours into both which is far more than I've put into any other games in a decade except Rocket League. After recently finally completing TotK I picked up Super Mario Odyssey and Skyward Sword HD for cheap from a friend to play through.

Mario Odyssey I found annoying because you're always fighting the camera. Same thing with Skyward Sword. I understand they had a find a way to make it work without motion controls, but still. I hate that they bound camera movement to holding L1 instead of allowing you to toggle holding L1 for sword controls. The control scheme and level of control that you actually have in BotW and TotK is just absolutely perfect and has definitely spoiled me.

Beyond that, Odyssey is just so drat simple (I know it's more geared toward kids than Zelda games) and Skyward Sword HD feels so restrictive and cumbersome. I did beat Skyward Sword back in 2011 but after playing for an hour I quickly realized I have no real desire to actually finish it again.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It constantly re-adjusts your adjustments to what it thinks the camera angle should be, whereas in BotW and TotK it works like an FPS where it stays at the angle you set it at, basically. It's not like it makes it unplayable or anything, I was just trying to compare how great the control in BotW and TotK actually is.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Kass not appearing, and no mention of the Divine Beasts (except I think in a side quest with the school in Hateno?) were the two biggest disappointments in the game from a narrative standpoint, for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

but it was a bit jarring that there was only one intact guardian in the entirety of ToTK.

Wait what? Where?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think his voice was that bad so I had it on as background while I did stuff. Basically he dives into how he came up with that graph, though it's probably pretty obvious. On a new save, he sought out every character that returned from BotW and noted the first conversation with them.

Almost every notable character that should remember Link does. There are a small handful of exceptions where the character should have remembered Link but doesn't seem to or doesn't make it clear. Hestu is a very notable one. However, the majority of the characters that blatantly do not remember Link are non-noteworthy ones like shopkeepers and townsfolk that don't really have a reason to remember Link. Even if he technically did them a small favor in BotW, we're meant to assume a few years have passed between games and Link likely didn't encounter that person again until now.

Most importantly is that it would be exhausting for every single NPC to start a dialogue tree establishing that they remember Link, especially when the vast majority of players probably didn't 100% BotW and talk to everyone.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 27, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait so when is the “proper” time to get the master sword? Like when does the game tell you to find it if you don’t already have it?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

Deku Tree in The Lost Woods

No I mean, I did what another poster did some pages back and stumbled my way into the Korok Forest through the pillar in the depths. Nowhere in the dialogue did the game prompt me to go get the master sword, so I must have done it sooner than you're intended to do it. I also never found a way to traverse the Lost Woods.

So like, if one were to play through and strictly follow the main quest objectives and not explore on their own at all, at what point in the game does it tell you to go get the Master Sword and how to traverse the Lost Woods?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The path is supposed to be you complete the four temples (Regional Phenomenon) then you go back to Lookout Landing and they say "Zelda is in the castle, we can all her see her" - so then you go to the castle and right off the bat it's pretty clear what's up. The four sages show up after Ganon reveals himself and everyone is like "Whoa, Ganon is back! I can't believe it"

At that point in the game it's pretty clear the whole thing is about Ganon no matter what order you do things in, but I guess that was supposed to be the big reveal that Ganon is behind it all? I guess I can see how this is a revelation to Yunobo, Sidon, Tulin, or Riju, but the game has made it very clear pretty much from the beginning so that moment seemed pretty dumb.

Anyway, then you get back to Lookout Landing and everyone is like "Wow what can we do against this phantom menace - oh wait there is another sage" Then after you do the final sage and beat that temple, that's when you're supposed to be pointed specifically to the Master Sword. She says she doesn't really know where it is but maybe the Deku Tree can help.

Mineru was actually the third sage I found. It wasn't intentional at all. I wanted to check out that area and just fell right into the quest. At the time, I thought it was just going to be another shrine, or maybe something lame like "Bug Catching Kid's Net" or "Tunic from Zelda II - Link's Adventure."

I felt like the game improved significantly after I got the Master Sword. That quest was also one of the more memorable in the game. I hope more players didn't wait until the end to get it.

Also, how do you get Mineru without the game prompting you to investigate the storms in that region? You need the construct head, which is in the storm cloud shrouded islands in the sky, right? I assumed you couldn't access those sky islands without clearing the storm first.

It's just neat to see all the ways the game works around players doing it "out of order".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I kinda wish the game hadn't telegraphed so hard that it wasn't really Zelda. It was blatantly obvious from the very first blood moon cutscene. Instead Link just has to sit there while the characters are like "I saw Zelda but she was floating and her eyes were glowing red and she said 'I am actually Ganondorf', do you think she's okay?"

That reminds me of one of my favorite little details though - after you complete "Crisis at Hyrule Castle", "Zelda's" voiceover is removed from the blood moon cutscene.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Houle posted:

The sky islands give me the wind waker vibe of saying look at all this space to travel and the space is just an open nothingness.

The depths are worse for this. You can see where all the sky island clusters are by filling the surface map. And you know that each cluster has at least one noteworthy thing. The depths are such a boring slog that I ended up taking the advice from this thread (I think?) and using a hoverbike to float from lightroot to lightroot just to "clear" the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As of tomorrow the game is a full year old! Crazy.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I still think they missed a huge opportunity in not making the Water Temple along the lines of the Underground Waterworks. That part was breathtaking.

Agreed. It was such a letdown when it was just another more elaborate sky island like the wind temple essentially was.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I started a new BoTW game essentially out of boredom. The menu navigation isn't as good but overall I think the game has a better aesthetic. I like the music and sound effects better. Shrines look better. The lanscape is a lot nicer without all the upheavel crap cluttered everywhere.

I had only completed BotW three years ago when total came out instead of six years like most, but this was my impression almost immediately. I think as time goes on, BotW will be the game more remembered as the better experience even if TotK has a lot more video game “stuff” to do.