Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I cheesed the final boss fight with a lynel bow and gibdo bones. I regret it. It wasn't very epic.

I went to korok forest, found the master sword, then hunted down all of the dragon's tears, all before finishing the 3rd story dungeon. It felt pretty weird that all these people would talk about trying to find Zelda and I couldn't just tell them where Zelda was. Josha and Purah in particular. Well, I guess Link is mute after all. I wonder if the game really gains that much from non-linearity. TotK has more story than BotW did and there are story beats that have the most impact if you do them in the proper order, but the game just lets you do them in the wrong order.

I got lost trying to find the 3rd shine on great sky island. I didn't see the area where you can climb, so I just kept wandering. At that point, you have very few traversal tools (no ascend, no glider, no wings) and you can't even teleport back to shrines you've been to, so it was pretty bad. I also foolishly used ascend inside the temple of time, right before you are given the ability to teleport and got stuck on the roof (no glider, remember).

It's a bit strange that the master sword has been absorbing sacred power for the last 10,000 years, but it still only lasts a few hits before it needs to recharge. It feels even more fragile in this game. I've heard there's a bug related to that. I'm surprised they didn't patch it. It's weird that the triforce isn't mentioned at all.

Meaty Ore posted:

most of my deaths so far were to Guardians before I got the upgraded bombs (turns out horses can't outrun lasers either!)

The trick is not to run at them, but to run parallel to them as they are firing. On a horse, you should definitely be able to avoid the lasers.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I kind of wonder if this game really gets that much out of it's non-linearity. For example, there is a definite order to the story told by the tears of the dragon, and if you find them in the wrong order, the story isn't as impactful. Railroading can be good sometimes.

Also, I thought it was really weird that I learned where Zelda was by getting all of the tears of the dragon, but Link can't tell anyone. A bunch of characters will constantly talk about "Where is Zelda? Could she be in the depths? Maybe she's on this mountain?" and Link can't simply say "No, she's the light dragon." Would it have even been that hard to add in dialog where the characters say, "oh, well I guess that isn't Zelda on the mountain, but could you please figure out what's going on with the Gorons anyway? It seems really bad."

The master sword in this game should be one of the strongest incarnations of the master sword ever, given that it was just marinating inside a holy dragon for over 10,000 years, and yet it seems surprisingly weak. It breaks really quickly and they did the "the enchantment needs time to recharge", gimmick again, I guess for game balance reasons.

I guess these aren't the most original thoughts about this game.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Martman posted:

The botw/totk Link is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Accepting that makes the games vibe a lot better imo

He's just mute. That's why he can't correct anyone.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

bawk posted:

I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure similar to the Koroks, only the pure of heart can see the dragons. Link rolling up to say "oh hey yeah that person who looks just like Zelda isn't Zelda, that's Zelda" *points at empty sky* would just make rock-eating sword-breaking Link look more insane.

Bullshit! Link isn't pure of heart. I've seen what he did to the Koroks in those videos.