Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

fuse that big mouthed kid on to a claymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Augus posted:

focusing on the number of things per square mile kinda misses the point, part of what I and a lot of people found refreshing about botw is that it wasn't a game like this:

botw has lots of space to let the world breathe and let you spot landmarks off in the distance, it lets exploration happen naturally instead of jiggling a dozen different keys in front of your face constantly.

Less than halfway through it, but I think this is a real important point. That's what makes it feel like the original back before every kid had every bombable wall location memorized simply by word of mouth.

On the other hand, in Witcher 3 I didn't really mind the question marks.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

...Are there even korok puzzles in this game?

If they're just lil dudes walking around this time makes me wonder

If all else fails use fire.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Uh, no...Link...don't

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hey, you know what game didn't reuse a map? Zelda 2.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

It was just transposed

Jk though I like Zelda 2

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lol what is this from?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Augus posted:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Yeah I should have just searched before asking. I also just found the reddit post. I found another that points out the Zelda 1 map is in Link to the Past as well. Basically the Northwest quadrant. Well sort of.

I did just have something pulled up that looked like something more official from Nintendo saying that yes, that area was where Link had his first quest, but I lost it. But that's pretty neat and it gives a new perception of the scale and shows it's more than just an Easter egg.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Although I think the Link to the Past thing is off most obviously because the Lost Woods aren't in that section of the map at all. I think it's just a similarity and not the same as "the first quest was here which is a small part of this bigger world." But looks like that actually was supposed to be the case for Zelda 2 ? I never knew.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It could just mean the ancients who made that tapestry was Zonai and used Zonai iconography. If that's what that is.

I think that's actually Knuckles from Sonic.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Knowing the curse of Ganon is eternal, the Zonai abandon the surface world. They then make spaceships and abandon the Skyworld too. You must find the Stargate to travel to their homeworld. Link gets a spacesuit.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Oh I thought everyone was goofing and joking. Not even a little bit worried and stuff like this is why games shouldn't even show footage until the game is practically available for sale. How fun a game is half the game and half you, and you're never doing yourself favours idly dwelling on potential disappointments or impastabowl expectations.

My brother refuses to watch any trailers and especially demos. He just peordered it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mean they got this whole new cave gimmick, so maybe there's caves everywhere now. An entire vast underworld. All kinds of friggin dungeons. You see they buried the dungeons. The Zonai built them to gently caress Link back before Zelda 1.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Link could play a bass guitar to summon his elephant.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think it's just speculation and a counter to "it's all the same map." Maybe there's a huge underworld. Maybe you just fight an alligator man with an axe. Who knows

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Here is my take on the master sword so far...

The thing with the master sword is that by the time you get it you ought to have better weapons in your inventory for non-guardians. Also, it would be nice if it started recharging any time it is unequipped. Once you start using it you might as well wear it out and recharge rather than need it but only have like one swing left.

Also the beam shot from it sucks.

It does feel like Link swings it faster than other broadswords, but I googled and cant find any evidence of that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Revali's Gale is the only one I care about, whenever it's not charged I'm asking "Where's Revali's Gale?"

I just did the Vah Noboris camel demon dungeon and I agree.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ocarina of Time was great. You could argue Link to the Past doesn't hold up for the same reasons. I can beat that in a weekend because I know every puzzle.

The deku tree dungeon stumped (get it?) me as a kid because it didn't occur to me to burn the cobwebs because I didn't think it was possible. Even though you do stuff like that in every previous game. If all else fails try fire. And it was awesome to beat the first dungeon. Don't let current Zelda games negate your feelings of Zeldas past.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Huh. So I just read that the Korok seeds are all supposed to be Korok turds. So you are collecting poo poo. Thank you Nintendo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That looks like the wind cleaver that those big Yiga guys use

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You all are going to be disappointed when at the end of the game it's revealed it was all a dream Mario was having

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I am still in my first BotW playthrough but pretty far along. Found about 85 shrines but less than 100 Korok seeds. Still seeing new stuff.

For instance, I was spotted by a moblin but it couldn't reach me, so it grabbed a bokoblin by the head and threw him at me.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I rebuke timelines. Except for the case of direct sequels, each game is just a different retelling of the same legend. Kind of like ancient flood stories or creation myths.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm at that point of the game where I'm like...just gimme the shrines man...just give me that sweet beep

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Man, some BotW enemies really have too much HP. I came across a white Lynel (near the big dino skeleton in the far north of the map), and mechanically it wasn't too tough, but a full flurry attack with my strongest 2-handed weapon did a barely visible amount of damage and any time it hit me it destroyed like 10+ hearts (and I was using a defense elixir). I ended up reloading a save because it just wasn't worth the resource expenditure; I would have gone through at least 3 of my highest quality weapons (I'm not good enough with arrows to reliably set up the thing where you climb on his back) + a bunch of healing food. Or alternatively a bunch of bomb arrows; it's hard to say which would be less "expensive" overall.

Speaking of mechanics, the white Lynel doesn't seem to use its arrow attack much. It only used it once at the begging of the fight (with a thunder arrow). This is good, since that arrow attack is by far the hardest to avoid. Instead he used a fireball attack (that was easy to avoid by just sidestepping) and this explosion attack that was also pretty easy to get away from since it's so heavily telegraphed.

I just started taking on the white ones. Need those guts. I farm durians for these occasions. Just cook a bunch of single ones and accept I could blow through a bunch. With 23 hearts I still need it after one shot from these assholes.

I opt for an attack boost because as you mention it takes forever without decent weapons and the defense boost doesn't help much anyway. The ones in the snow areas are also a pain because you'll probably be wearing the warm armor instead of barbarian. Blowing through a ton of durians is fine but blowing through a few 50+ weapons is different, although you should get a powerful weapon when you win at least.

I think I lost a 72 claymore and 50 broadsword after the first one. But what am I saving them for? Lynels I guess.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

As an aside, the Master Sword bolt attack is just pitif in BotW. Zelda 1 Link would probably muder BotW Link.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If they had hitboxes for arrows like in OoT the lynels would be easy but you really got to aim in this one. Now excuse me while I try to shoot this mystical flying dragon in the face six times from a hang glider.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I finally found the last great fairy and started maxing out my gear and...uh...they really lean into the innuendo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

External Organs posted:

I've got 70 hours in this drat game and haven't found the fourth fairy, my link is an incel

My fourth fairy is probably different than yours. Based on the location of the other three I had it pinned down to one quadrant of the map and I started there and somehow missed it before working clockwise around the rest of the map and meticulously checking every pond I could see.

It was right next to a shrine I completed. Warp there and you can't miss it. Yet I did. I found it after realizing I must have overlooked something in that first area. I looked for a pond and warped to the nearest shrine and there it was, pretty much where I started the search.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wanted to ask if the DLC did much for the Rito in BotW

I remember Zora's domain being fleshed out, woven into the story pretty well and Mipha was treated with this heavy sense of gravity. Urbosa and the Gerudo too and Gorons had there moment but all I remember of the Rito is just 'hi we all live on this tree here's Teba he got shot okay bye thanks for visiting"

Like I don't recall much being done with them or their part of the game standing out much outside the divine beast flying. Even AoC I only really remember Rito warriors being in the stage where you get Revali at the very start.

The woman there on her honeymoon agreed. She said the village sucked and there was nothing to do.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You will ge your wish and have Link's voice. It will be the cartoon "Excuse me, Princess!" version.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's just the stuck up birdman trope, it's big in Japan. You don't even want to know what Japanese big bird is like.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I hope that there's a meaningless one.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I was farming Lynels for their precious guts when I rolled into the Taobab grasslands.

I got it in my mind: I'm gonna snag a horse to speed things up.

I got the biggest one, and after taming it and driving it to the stable I realize it's friggin huge. Max strength and unlimited stamina. Speed is only 2.

Is this the Giant Horse?

I named him Potoooooooo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I haven't been riding too many horses in this game (BotW). Just warping, climbing, and gliding. But, now that I have Giant Horse, all I want to do is drive my horse around like a jacked up F-250.

And then I realize, TotK may have Monster Jam.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zat posted:

Gonna mention that the implication is that this horse is related to Ganondorf's horse in Ocarina of Time. It looked quite similar and was also huge.

I thought it sort of looked like him. It wasn't that difficult to tame. I had to drink a stamina potion to not get bucked off.

I probably wouldn't have been able to sneak up on it without the Sheikh gear. I fed it some apples and murdered a Lynel in front of it to gain it's trust. I guess that's the difficult part, you have to go straight through some enemies to get it to the stable.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The mounted archery isn't bad but up until now I haven't bothered much with horses. I preferred Witcher 3, although I hated mounted combat in that. The Giant Horse is only the third one that I stabled.

On the other hand, I found two new shrines in like an hour just riding down roads I wasn't using because I was flying or warping. That's pretty cool considering I'm winding down on the shrines. I think I have about 100 now.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xnqCc1g74

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You kniw it's beena while since Ive seen a rope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gibdo