Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Didn’t the 3DS Zelda game, A Link Between Worlds, also reuse the LttP Light World and Dark World maps? If they put in the same amount of work remixing the BotW Hyrule map as they did with those maps in that game then I would be perfectly fine with that.

That said I am wishing that I completed the game longer ago rather than trying to complete it now to have the map be a little fresher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: Do we know how long BotW was in development for? Last night I watched a bit of a stream where the streamers were rather down on the new footage. Most of it seemed excessively cynical at best (Lots of :smug: What is this Nuts and Bolts poo poo? This should be DLC. :smug: ), one did speculate that the game may have been in some sort of development hell, even beyond the global speed bump that was COVID, which struck me as a possible point. I would like to see how the dev times compare, if only to give myself a bit of peace of mind.

In regards to story and lore, I always thought that BotW was like Majora's Mask in that it is mostly driven by its sidequests. You can shotgun the main quest, yeah, but you lose a lot of flavor if you do.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also, if we are going underground or if there are underground sections I hope we get to see Master Kohga again; he was a fun character.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

WarpDogs posted:

Link looks like a wildman with a hosed up arm, but he doesn't mention it even in passing, nor does he bring up the master sword (?) ability. they could have started the demo toggled to one of the abilities they were going to introduce, but they didn't

I think that is just the symbol for the Fuse ability.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

Give Link a Codec so we can hear commentary from friends about each ingredient we pick up. Also give Link contextual reactions to dishes. Finally, give him camo options and legalize nukes.

"Hyrule...has changed"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The next Zelda game will be completely different. This is the continuation of BOTW so it’s fine.

I think that was a joke post.

Dr Christmas posted:

I can only have one manual save, right? If I decide to try an EX quest, I’ll have to consider just never making a new manual save.

You can make another profile on your Switch to have a a separate save.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just found out in BotW that just equipping a fire sword would warm you, because of course it would

The systems on this game are on point.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Why is this $70 wtf nintendo

Just get one of those e-shop vouchers and use it on this game and another game you want.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will admit I have a bit of misgivings about the reused map, but only because I am currently trying to finish up my first playthrough, just now; if I had completed it like a year ago then that would be more pleasant.

I did watch the Zeltik video on the new gameplay footage which makes for some good watching.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

quiggy posted:

"Reused map" really means "geography is the same". If you think the quests or stuff to find will be the same idk to what to say to you

Of course I get that. I was talking about having it less fresh in my head.

Edit: editing because the original response was kinda pissy.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One thing I do want is some sort of transmogrification/glamour system.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think with BotW it makes more sense that not every major area is important and it builds the character of the world. At least compared to something like WW, which has a destroyed island that was obviously meant to be a major area but they ran out of time and they had to cut it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

I hated the cutscenes in BotW where Link ate some hosed up berries and just shat himself in the wilderness for 3 days.

Having them all in real time was certainly A Decision as well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Surprise playable Zelda is my big hope, but on the other hand, hope is the first step to disappointment so I am trying to keep that in check.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally got all 4 divine beasts, though i still have some sidequests left plus I got to at least unlock the map for the last region in the upper left.

Anyway, because no one asked, my rankings of the Champion abilities.

4. Daruk's Protection

Dead last on my list but still pretty good to have to protect against the occasional sucker punch.

3. Mipha's Grace

Honestly, I kind of consider it close to number 2; the only reason it doesn't have that spot is because it has a long cooldown after a single use.

2. Urbosa's Rage

The "This ends NOW" button of the game.

1. Revali's Gale

Kinda surprised by this. I had an idea of what it was and I figured that having 2 and a bit stamina circles would render it redundant by the time I got it. However, it is legitimately the coolest ability in the game, and is well worth going out of your way to get it as soon as possible.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
To be fair, I don't think Daruk's Protection is terrible; It is good to have, but it is definitely the lesser of the Champion powers.

Anyway I got shrines to a nice even number (108), so I am off to Hyrule Castle tomorrow to get that last Memory and beat up Ganon.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Heads up, once you’ve retrieved the last Memory in the Castle, assuming that means you’ve found all 12, dip out of the castle and head back to Impa to get the clue for the hidden 13th memory :) getting it before you finish nets you a bonus post-credits scene

Had to look up the exact location for that 13th one, which was incredibly annoying since I knew the general location.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And that is BotW done and dusted, 6 years after the fact. Now to wait a month.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Not sure if I want to get up early, but then I need to get up by 9 am anyway.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My uncle from nintendo said the trailer was actually an entire playthrough. The game is actually 3 minutes long.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp I am setting my alarm but I won't kick myself if I sleep through it.

My big hope is that they go full weird with this new game. Because weird Zelda is the best Zelda.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I was holding out for playable Zelda as well but I do not see that happening after this trailer. I would like to be surprised but I doubt it.

Trailer owns otherwise.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Comrade Fakename posted:

The ridiculous, definitely-never-gonna-happen, speculation would be that Zelda gets thrown back in time to the Zonai age, and then you can switch between Link in the present and Zelda exploring the entire map centuries in the past, right?

It would own if there was a secret Dark World or Dark World type in the game, and Zelda is the one that needs to explore it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

hatty posted:

Nintendo isnt gonna pull a Kojima, if Zelda was playable it'd be front a center in the marketing. Shes not even on the cover of the box!

Oh yah, don’t get me wrong, I am pretty’s sure the chances for that are effectively zero at this point.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I also like they included some areas to make it clear that stuff is very different like the Hyrule castle courtyard being settled and that one cut of Hateno Village. Not to mention it feels like the sky sections in the trailer felt absolutely dense with islands.

The only disappointment is, like others have said, is seeing Zelda once again seemingly regulated to the side again, but as a whole it was real good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blaziken386 posted:

Given the fact that ganondorf has some very nice official art this time around, the hero from the legend having red hair, the fact that he evidently has one of the tears (it's the jewel on his forehead) like sidon and the others, the translation in each language being just slightly vague* about the identity of the king being revived, and the fact that the camera cuts away from the guy in front of the blood moon before we see his face, I'm genuinely wondering if Ganondorf is the actual villain, or if he's on our side for once?? Yes i am a ganondorf apologist, but, what if. C'mon nintendo you know you want to. Let him be Riju's overly dramatic weird uncle.

*Ganondorf: “Do not look away. You witness a king’s revival…and the birth of his new world.” ("his", not "my". Third person grandiose dialog, or...?)

You know what? I kind of like this, even if it is unlikely

My personal Head Canon was that it is the same Ganondorf that appears in every game, as opposed to a reincarnation for Zelda and Link; A thief breaks into the vault of the Gods, they punish him by condemning him to be defeated over and over by the hero and the princess. And Ganondorf in WW feels like he knows he is fated to lose, but can't bring himself to stop. What if there was a time where Ganondorf goes "No. Enough. This all ends with me"?

This does not account for Demise and whatever happened in Skyward Sword but honestly I do not care.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zoig posted:

I do also genuinely hope for a more interesting ganondorf than "hes back and evil and now has a katana" and finally laying the curse to rest at the end would tie nicely to the games title. Hyrule being in a constant cycle of being conqured and liberated from evil is probably not good for it.

There are other lands besides Hyrule, but no one wants to go there because they know it as that Godsforsaken place that gets razed by a demon every other century.

Bleck posted:

Close - WW Ganon is the Ganon locked in the Sacred Realm at the end of Ocarina of Time. When he finally musters up the strength to break out, nobody is there to stop him, because Zelda sent Link back in time, so The God's flood Hyrule with a lifeless ocean that basically freezes him in time. Wind Waker happens when he eventually, somehow, breaks out of that, too.

Oh right the official Zelda timeline. It's a silly thing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 13, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

Nah that's all directly from the opening of WW.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I was talking about the two divergent timelines from OoT.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/strongbadegirl/status/1646524971647377409?s=46&t=-3btIhdWFD5M3u9M3Xo4WQ

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
RE Yiga: I liked that after you murk Master Kohga the Yiga attacks become harder and unannounced because they are understandably pissed

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wide Ganondorf

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never completed SS but I did enjoy what I played. Kind of tempted to get the HD port using a eshop voucher alongside Kirby Return to Dreamland, if there are going to be callbacks to that

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally I like the dialog choices that has Link be a chaotic, somewhat feral idiot.

For instance, there was at least one dialog where you can initially say Yes or No to something, then swing around to it again and choose the opposite and they would go "Didn't you just...oh nevermind"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Caidin posted:

I loved me some Hyrule Castle in BoTW, hoping they bring that good energy to whatever is cooking here in Tears.

Hyrule Castle in BoTW felt like the dev team were doing their best Dark Souls riff. I don't think they entirely succeeded, but I am glad it exists and I hope they iterate on it in some way in the new game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am hoping that the performance issues in that Arthur Gies tweet was no worse than when things get harry in BotW. On the other hand, it did sound like he was pushing the building stuff to its limits.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I looked at a couple of clips where they say that performance issues were happening and while it is noticeable it doesn't seem any worse than what was in BotW. I am excited!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of someone who is a weirdo about spoilers, ya'll (well, some of you) are being very weird about this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Actually no this post was a terrible idea.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 2, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be real I did not mind the VA and am kinda surprised how much hate there is for it ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think that the incel comment being really dumb and the badness of the EN dub being overstated can both be true.