Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

demod nhd and mod lobster shirt imo. case closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

vyelkin posted:

To offer a bit more clarification then, for one thing I don't think you have to be a consistent effort poster to be a good mod. It's more important to have a good sense of the community and be comfortable posting with different groups of people in different settings - in other words, to not be stuck in one thread or one style of posting, and not be someone who's going to be uncomfortable if challenged or questioned about a decision. Consistently interesting or informative content helps but isn't the sole measure of a good mod (forum superstars do not necessarily make good mods), it's much more important to be level-headed, well-rounded, and integrated into the wider community. We've had examples of mods in the past who were too insular in one part of the subforum and were not good at moderating outside that part, and we've had mods who expected everybody to live up to their own standards of what was interesting or informative, and clashed with people as a result. I would rather have somebody who's regularly taking part in multiple casual discussions across the subforum and outside of cspam even if that means some of their posts are "white noise", because that reflects somebody who's comfortable in their own skin and relatively relaxed which are both assets for the kind of moderation we want here.

I think lobster shirt fits the bill and seems like a pretty normal, level-headed person who is likely to contribute to the current mod team's efforts to keep cspam a relaxed place for politics posting without going overboard into mod voice or trying to reshape the forum into something that it's not. Obviously there's no way to tell how someone will do until you actually give them a chance, but that's why I would like to make them a mod.

:thanks: you should put this in the op.

i agree that effort posters don't necessarily make good mods, and i don't necessarily want good effort posters spending time moderating they could have spent making good effortposts. but i would like to know if they're really an actual new user from 2021, and if not, who they were before.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ok zodium i’ll allow it. let’s doxx lobster shirt.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Zodium posted:

yep. thread is useless for feedback if you're not providing more of a reasoning for why you think they'd make a good mod than "they seem cool" and then let the thread fill with white noise.

i think this is worth responding to at some length, i can certainly speak from my side at least (in like an hour, currently in the middle of something irl) about why i think i would be an okay mod. i cant speak to any discussions the current admins or cspam mods have had internally though as i havent seen anything like that.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

seriously who is this guy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lumpentroll posted:

ok zodium i’ll allow it. let’s doxx lobster shirt.

mfers trying to sneak podima in

lobster shirt posted:

i think this is worth responding to at some length, i can certainly speak from my side at least (in like an hour, currently in the middle of something irl) about why i think i would be an okay mod. i cant speak to any discussions the current admins or cspam mods have had internally though as i havent seen anything like that.

thanks, i will read it

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zodium posted:

mfers trying to sneak podima in

smythe btfo

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

To offer a bit more clarification then, for one thing I don't think you have to be a consistent effort poster to be a good mod. It's more important to have a good sense of the community and be comfortable posting with different groups of people in different settings - in other words, to not be stuck in one thread or one style of posting, and not be someone who's going to be uncomfortable if challenged or questioned about a decision. Consistently interesting or informative content helps but isn't the sole measure of a good mod (forum superstars do not necessarily make good mods), it's much more important to be level-headed, well-rounded, and integrated into the wider community. We've had examples of mods in the past who were too insular in one part of the subforum and were not good at moderating outside that part, and we've had mods who expected everybody to live up to their own standards of what was interesting or informative, and clashed with people as a result. I would rather have somebody who's regularly taking part in multiple casual discussions across the subforum and outside of cspam even if that means some of their posts are "white noise", because that reflects somebody who's comfortable in their own skin and relatively relaxed which are both assets for the kind of moderation we want here.

I think lobster shirt fits the bill and seems like a pretty normal, level-headed person who is likely to contribute to the current mod team's efforts to keep cspam a relaxed place for politics posting without going overboard into mod voice or trying to reshape the forum into something that it's not. Obviously there's no way to tell how someone will do until you actually give them a chance, but that's why I would like to make them a mod.

How could you make this kind of judgement of someone's character from 1000 3-word posts over the past month? Here's a question for the sake of transparency in decision making, not just for you but for any other mods or admins. Is this guy friends (or e-friends / discord posting pals) with another current or former mod, admin, or ik?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i can assure everyone here that i am not in any goon discords lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

How could you make this kind of judgement of someone's character from 1000 3-word posts over the past month? Here's a question for the sake of transparency in decision making, not just for you but for any other mods or admins. Is this guy friends (or e-friends / discord posting pals) with another current or former mod, admin, or ik?

No, they are not, unless they're friends with some IK or former mod that I don't know about. But e-friendship played no role in our decision-making here.

And how do you judge anyone's character on the internet? You can't, you can only judge the way that they post, but I think you're underselling lobster shirt if you say they only make 3-word white noise posts. Yes, they like to joke around and have casual conversations - that's a good thing! I'd much rather have a mod who enjoys posting on the forums and knows how to talk to people casually than somebody who thinks posting can only ever be Serious Business.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lumpentroll posted:

not gonna read that poo poo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

you can't judge someone's character completely from posts on a forum, but this is a volunteer position and we do our best with what info is available to us. it's not a foolproof process, which is I think why this thread exists given the Podima situation. personally, I like that lobster shirt posts in a lot of threads in cspam, including some of the more "controversial" ones like u/r, while also posting in other parts of the forums as well. he seems well rounded and not part of a certain posting clique, or whatever you want to call it. I think it's good that he clearly has fun posting and enjoys cspam, and also I like his av lol

to my knowledge he's not friends with any other mods or iks (but it's not like we keep tabs on other mod's/ik's friends???), and he was recommended in the feedback thread for the position.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

okay so i am sitting down, perhaps here is a preview of my mod voice.

so i think in terms of decision making, i post in a lot of threads and have a good idea of cspams "culture" for what it is. i think a moderators job is mostly to clean up the bad posts but i have no intention or desire to lead or shape things here, to shepherd threads or make them my fiefdom.

i certainly do not think that moderating here is like some sacred and important thing or expect additional deference for being a mod. several mods and admins have stepped down because they find they don't have time, or they don't like it, or they find that they don't think they necessarily have the skillset, and i think i would do the same. if i make some lovely decision, okay, reverse it and ill step down. not the end of the world.

i would like to continue posting in a relaxed and non-hostile fashion for the most part. in terms of moderating discussions im taking part in i think id like to run any decisions past someone else to make sure im not wilding out and punishing my posting enemy (although i don't think i have any!)

regarding who i am, ive made no secret that i am a rereg. my old account was a very white noise anodyne politoons poster. i don't really want to make that information public but i stopped posting in ~2016 because of irl stuff not from drama or melting down. im certainly not a permabanned poster lol. if not wanting to reveal my past account is a deal breaker then okay, i can just be a regular poster.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
rescinding my support, too manby words

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

croup coughfield posted:

rescinding my support, too manby words

sorry...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

didnt read

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
loling @ "does this guy have friends? guys with friends shouldnt be mods!!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

they're right tho. ideally all mods would be genetically engineered and raised in isolation, like Spartans

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

croup coughfield posted:

im a fan of the guy who unironically thinks brace belden is a cia asset just asking questions itt

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

this seems important I'm going to defer to my regency council

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, make the KM rereg a mod

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
people like this guy and his posts. that doesn't just happen. follow the money

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im a fan of the guy who unironically thinks brace belden is a cia asset just asking questions itt

he is an asset

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

regarding who i am, ive made no secret that i am a rereg. my old account was a very white noise anodyne politoons poster. i don't really want to make that information public but i stopped posting in ~2016 because of irl stuff not from drama or melting down. im certainly not a permabanned poster lol. if not wanting to reveal my past account is a deal breaker then okay, i can just be a regular poster.

idk if it's a dealbreaker but that seems kind of weird?? i don't really know who you are and i don't want to give you the third degree here, but it's hard to know if someone who reregged less than two years ago has any comically oversized Home Depot skeletons hiding in their closet if we can't know who they were before that.

sounds good otherwise i guess.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
what if im a rereg? or you? we could do this all day...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

i'm not

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

are you?

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

they made me a mod.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zodium posted:

idk if it's a dealbreaker but that seems kind of weird?? i don't really know who you are and i don't want to give you the third degree here, but it's hard to know if someone who reregged less than two years ago has any comically oversized Home Depot skeletons hiding in their closet if we can't know who they were before that.

I can tell you that when I did the backend checks what I found matched exactly with what lobster shirt has said publicly. I don't personally have a problem with people choosing to rereg for a fresh start, though I do appreciate the irony of us doing public vetting for a rereg account.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

they made me a mod.

now we're getting down to brass tacks... who is 'they'??

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Zodium posted:

admins do checks for alts when they vet mods behind the scenes. afaik that has already happened and they determined that things are fine on that front.

e: see vyelkin's post

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zodium posted:

are you?

yes im azathoth's alt

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!

Zodium posted:

are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OucgRulTW2Q

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

What led you to decide to join SA?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I can tell you that when I did the backend checks what I found matched exactly with what lobster shirt has said publicly. I don't personally have a problem with people choosing to rereg for a fresh start, though I do appreciate the irony of us doing public vetting for a rereg account.

it's not really ironic so much as just sort of rendering this thread pro forma. there doesn't seem to be any way for us to check whether they have any comically oversized Home Depot skeletons hiding in their closet, and the admins don't have a strong skeleton detection record. give them the star or don't. there's no way this thread can have much bearing on the decision either way.

hail

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yes im azathoth's alt

Woah

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

What led you to decide to join SA?

oi was reading the ff7 lp and it went behind the paywall

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yes im azathoth's alt

hearing you are also KM, who is fluffdaddys alt, and that you stepped down due to misgivings about the debut of the SAD forum...

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

"Hey cspam users! What do you know about this anonymous re-reg poster? No, we won't tell you who they are"

the mods still got it. still making funny threads :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zodium posted:

it's not really ironic so much as just sort of rendering this thread pro forma. there doesn't seem to be any way for us to check whether they have any comically oversized Home Depot skeletons hiding in their closet, and the admins don't have a strong skeleton detection record. give them the star or don't. there's no way this thread can have much bearing on the decision either way.

I get what you mean but I think it still serves a useful purpose. Take Podima as an example, the thing that we hadn't seen was something happening within the last few years, offsite but obviously linked to SA and involving many goons who knew the details and could tell us about them at the drop of a hat, but who hadn't been given a venue to share them or were worried about retribution. lobster shirt being a rereg does make public vetting of the distant past here on SA harder, but that's the kind of thing we can more easily check in the background before approaching them. Despite their account being a rereg, if there was some other issue like sketchy offsite discord activity, this kind of public process still gives a space for someone who's aware of it to tell us ahead of time. If it seems more pro forma than that, I think that could actually be a positive sign that there isn't some glaring and obvious red flag that we just weren't looking in the right place to find.