Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

I like TBB but there is a perception of a slightly sour and elitist posting brand in the lit thread especially. I know I fell off of it despite the great recommendations because I didn't dig the tone sometimes. someone once described the meanness as a "flock of professors in tweed snapping their fingers like the jets" and that was pretty funny.

“the quit being a child” had a purposely flammatory title because, at the time it was created, there were 0 threads in TBB that wasn’t about fantasy and sci-fi series except for a thread on the nobel prize running on death support. the actual vibes in the thread is for the most part chill, and there’s no expectation to drop long effort-posts or anything. it’s very similar to this sub forum in that regard, but idk, since a lot of people also fled to discord over all that happened two-ish years ago, I can easily see this place becoming permanent and serve the same purpose, unless it too ends up being 30 megathreads and not much else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

plus BotL, who did some literary analysis of some sff in an inflammatory way, is perma'd (but still on discord mostly making fart jokes), and other crustier posters wandered off willingly or not.

There is the odd poster who goes, "whoa, this poo poo [literature] is really great, why have I wasted my life on scifi!" but that's to be understandable. At least one of them is a former author of scifi

I read everything, and bounce around threads as my interests wander. I don't play close attention to the scifi thread though because I'm not a really dedicated reader of the genre and being completely unable to relate to the nth reference to Chanur, but do have one of general's Baru books in my to read queue.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hi all! were rotating the rsf soon so we need to decide what to do with the book fair. We've got a few cool threads going on in here so we can either make it a subforum of the book barn or transplant the popular threads into TBB and open the book fair intermittently when there's an rsf vacancy similar to paranormal/conspiracy to keep it special

If we're keeping it as a subforum then we'll need someone to deal with the zero incidents that require probes/bans so think a forum ik would be enough. Anyone wants to have a go post itt or let me know. It's very low stakes

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Having it as subforum for a while at least would be cool to see if it can survive

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

sube posted:

Having it as subforum for a while at least would be cool to see if it can survive

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

sube posted:

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

sube posted:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

sube posted:

I believe in the Book Fair

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

I believe in the Book Fair

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont want to post in the barn

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

sube posted:

Done.

Let me know if there is anything cool I can do to help.

I'll make sure "Book Fair is now a subforum [Link here]" makes it into the next announcement.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Done.

I'll make sure "Book Fair is now a subforum [Link here]" makes it into the next announcement.

Another Scholastic Book Fair success story

Thanks, Ath

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Done.

thank you for saving this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ulvir posted:

“the quit being a child” had a purposely flammatory title because, at the time it was created, there were 0 threads in TBB that wasn’t about fantasy and sci-fi series except for a thread on the nobel prize running on death support. the actual vibes in the thread is for the most part chill, and there’s no expectation to drop long effort-posts or anything. it’s very similar to this sub forum in that regard, but idk, since a lot of people also fled to discord over all that happened two-ish years ago, I can easily see this place becoming permanent and serve the same purpose, unless it too ends up being 30 megathreads and not much else

I enjoyed seeing that title and thought it was hilarious. And it's something I say to myself when I realize I have read too much horror back to back. So I throw in some classics to mix things up.

Is it okay if I post links to the books I am selling in here? I got a ton of books I am trying to get rid of but I am not trying to turn the main forum into a book store. Maybe rules would be laxer in here?

s_k_a_m_ posted:

thank you for saving this forum.

yeah, I never posted in FYAD but I would definitely love a loose, fun book forum where I can shitpost from time to time. I feel like I need to make a quality post if I am in TBB

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 3, 2023