Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

cumpantry posted:

i hated my loving corolla. piece of poo poo

gently caress off clean shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I like watching Akira and would do it again while inebriated

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tony quidtana posted:

I'd have to go back and watch again but in my mind the poo poo from the cube angel up till the toilet paper arm angel is just solid quality poo poo and it falls off pretty loving hard after that and by the last 3-4 episodes its just very clear they're down to like $50 or something and trying to make it work.

Pretty sure it was an octahedron

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Laughing Salesman is a pretty good show from Japan. it's an anthology of quick stories about the loneliness in people's souls, and a person whose job it is to help his clients fill it. enjoyable horror/comedy from Fujiko A. Fujio, which I genuinely wish was easier to find in English (although there's what appears to be an official yt channel that's started to post episodes with subs)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Those mango Hello Kitty marshmallows are the loving bomb, OP.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

Pretty sure it was an octahedron

Nah it was a cube

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'd like to buy an acura tl or a pontiac g8 but neither are wagons and where is the dog gonna go? Some six cylinder wagon barus might be an option. Sure as poo poo not tracking down some weird 5 series wagon where everything is broken and costs a thousand reichmarks to fix.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I spent 10 years exclusively driving 30 year old cars and it's exactly why I drive a Corolla now. Buying old automotive poo poo is not a loving picnic, I hate wrenching on anything now and only do it because I'm a cheapass

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Maybe mechanical endeavors would be easier if you understood what cubes are

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
But where does the anime about driving a Toyota Corolla rank here?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
minivans own

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ryoga posted:

But where does the anime about driving a Toyota Corolla rank here?

That depends. Does the Toyota Corolla have teeth and blood and organs, which you get to see when it fights other toothed cars in hyperviolent fight scnes, or does the Toyota Corolla turn into an uncomfortably young-looking woman who is obsessed with her owner?

Very different animes, those.

I'm just kidding, they're the same anime after all

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Plot makes no loving sense. Like you read the wiki site for it and there’s all this lore they never even hint at. First half is great and there’s a real sense of place, then it goes off the rails.

Also gently caress Shinji. Oh no my dad hates me; gently caress you kid, you live in a cozy Japanese apartment with the hot, crazy exchange student AND your very own mommy soft domme. And the price for this is you have to sometimes pilot a giant robot. You poor baby.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it was pretty cool but it would have been nice if they let us know what was going on

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if you like a giant robot to do adventures fight please investigate Giant Robo (1967) it's fantastic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i enjoy giant robots but i'd much rather just leaf through old battletech sourcebooks than watch any anime

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

flubber nuts posted:

if you like a giant robot to do adventures fight please investigate Giant Robo (1967) it's fantastic.

its on youtub hollla https://youtu.be/cdqdbXJauIg

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That depends. Does the Toyota Corolla have teeth and blood and organs, which you get to see when it fights other toothed cars in hyperviolent fight scnes, or does the Toyota Corolla turn into an uncomfortably young-looking woman who is obsessed with her owner?

Very different animes, those.

I'm just kidding, they're the same anime after all

No unfortunately its just a show where a guy is really good at driving his non living normal sized Corolla while his girlfriend fucks rich old guys for money...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Megas XLR is what, the Pontiac Vibe?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Actually it's gokkun OP

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Finding out recently that it's all just Gen X fetishism for the Thunderbirds military base aesthetics is the funniest drat thing

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Megas XLR is what, the Pontiac Vibe?

Coop rules and Jessie is kinda a dickhead

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In some alternate reality Blue Seed became huge instead of Evangelion.

The Honda Insight is also the top selling hybrid there, too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
OP also forgot about DragonBall and Cowboy Bebop

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

OP also forgot about DragonBall and Cowboy Bebop

I'd say that the difference is 'respect' that kept them off the list.

DBZ was punching and fighting, so no one in the West held up up as very deep and important.

Bebop, to my recollection at the time, never quite got that same level of huge popularity in Japan as it ended up getting in the US around the same time, and it feels like there's something a lack of continuous Bebop output from Japan compared to EVA/DBZ stuff.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

tony quidtana posted:

gently caress off clean shirt

i put a honda 1996 civic's wheels in your hands and you never swear on toyota's behalf again

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Bebop, to my recollection at the time, never quite got that same level of huge popularity in Japan as it ended up getting in the US around the same time, and it feels like there's something a lack of continuous Bebop output from Japan compared to EVA/DBZ stuff.
Bebop is wall-to-wall "Western" fetishism and the rare case where style over substance totally worked in making everyone from the "West" appreciate the outside perspective and smoothie blending of familiar things + spaceships. It's not really a surprise that didn't connect with Japan.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Bebop is wall-to-wall "Western" fetishism and the rare case where style over substance totally worked in making everyone from the "West" appreciate the outside perspective and smoothie blending of familiar things + spaceships. It's not really a surprise that didn't connect with Japan.

they had a girl named Ed. Who does that?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Btw the last movie they released like 2 years ago actually has an opening act that is the creators full-on acknowledging how busted their poo poo is with a weird level of emotional maturity for a series so rife with anime creep poo poo. Got to respect that commitment to follow-through I guess.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Is that sort of the same thing as Big O? Similar to Bebop, it has a very Westernized feel to it and the story I'd always heard that it only managed to continue to get episodes due to US popularity of it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is that sort of the same thing as Big O? Similar to Bebop, it has a very Westernized feel to it and the story I'd always heard that it only managed to continue to get episodes due to US popularity of it.

oh yeah. Big O only got a second season because it did so well on Adult Swim

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Now I'm sort of wondering if ANY anime/US animation Adult Swim would have put on would have been big due to the then novelty of it at the time, or if AS was just really good at picking some long-term winners during that first 5 years.

True, few people are still talking about Baby Blues or Oblongs, but the legs so many of their productions have had is pretty impressive in pop culture.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Now I'm sort of wondering if ANY anime/US animation Adult Swim would have put on would have been big due to the then novelty of it at the time, or if AS was just really good at picking some long-term winners during that first 5 years.

True, few people are still talking about Baby Blues or Oblongs, but the legs so many of their productions have had is pretty impressive in pop culture.

Mission Hill was loving fantastic

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Ryoga posted:

No unfortunately its just a show where a guy is really good at driving his non living normal sized Corolla while his girlfriend fucks rich old guys for money...

That doesn't really sound like a 'classic' anime. It's missing some of those classic elements.

Does sound like something you'd find on Netflix, but it'll never be as popular as the one about middle school kids playing volleyball.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

cumpantry posted:

i put a honda 1996 civic's wheels in your hands and you never swear on toyota's behalf again

I'm pretty sure thats the one where the crankshaft bolt is left hand thread with zero loving indications as to it being left hand thread and I managed to break a wrench trying to break the bolt loose.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I thought Bebop did very well in Japan. Everyone who worked on it went on to other large things and continues to produce well. I think the lead on it wanted a short series and not to be shackled to it like other animes that will never die, hence how the story ended.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Ree Ree Reeeeeeeeeeeee

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Redline is a cool movie about cars imo

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The best thing about living in Japan is buying all the Evangelion merch. Like the buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I watched Evangelion in .ogm files from a burned CD-ROM as a 13 year old. I look back on Ogg Vorbis more fondly than I do the show.