Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any time I try to search for anything now, half the top results are clearly AI generated spam articles, often even when I'm searching truly obscure errata.

I'd suggest nationalizing twitter as a first step but we'd need to figure out how to reconcile the 1st amendment with the paradox of tolerance. Systematically, at scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Typo posted:

just append "reddit" to your search will instantly improve results

the problem is that SEO has gotten too good at gaming google search algorithms, we are kinda back at the earlier days of the internet when instead of having reliable search engine to give you what you want you kinda just have to know 3-5 places to look for answers to things you want

nationalizing whatever won't fix the problem: there's way too much money to gaming search results

I mean we could also nationalize Google and stop selling advertising on it at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Typo posted:

yeah when twitter first came out I was pretty optimistic about the democraization of information etc

turns out reality really really doesn't work that way

I mean it *can*. Wikipedia is still doing pretty well overall, and provides a perfectly usable model . .
.so long as you have a low cost to operate and can rely on philanthropy and manage to avoid having anyone interested in rent extraction in your leadership

So yeah I usually just add "wiki" to all my searches now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Typo posted:

Wikipedia depends on an enormous amount of moderation by volunteers

it would be pretty interesting how Wikipedia functions if it gets nationalized now that I think about it, does every single mod action to remove some BS now eligible to be taken up in court on 1st amendment grounds?

Oh no sorry I meant the Wikipedia model as an alternative to nationalization. Private nonprofit foundation relying on charitable rather than capitalistic support.

In reality though such models are dependent on leadership. The minute Jimmy Wales dies and the next CEO starts trying to charge money for "optimized" Wikipedia pages, it's over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

WarpedLichen posted:

I think Wikipedia is in a dangerous spot that it's been pretty good on a broad range of subjects for a long time that people forget that it's edited largely by internet nobodies and is subject to the same stresses as every other source. They even have a page detailing the historical challenges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

I think reddit is in the same boat, where as a community aggregator people will try to game it for malicious purposes, so it will always be a buyer beware situation.

Oh sure no system is perfectible. I'm just looking for examples of systems that have proven able to function without obvious corruption, financial collapse, or what Cory doctorow has been referring to as "enshittification".

Reddit is also worth looking at yeah. There's a reason we keep adding "Reddit" or "wiki" to our searches. What's that reason and can we adapt it out to other media?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason is that instead of paying people to produce or moderate content, Reddit and Wikipedia just rely on volunteer armies of obsessive nerds constantly fighting each other for gamified clout. StackOverflow too.

It's actually a pretty terrible model. It just wins by default because it's turned out to be very difficult to make a profit publishing useful information on the internet for free, so every site that actually pays their employees has gone behind a paywall, turned into a low-quality content farm, or dropped out of the free information business altogether.

I mean, yes. It's pretty terrible. But it seems to be the best available option, largely because it is driven by a nonprofit model.

Unless anyone has a better proposal, that's your viable model for modern journalism. Reddit and Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Typo posted:

neither of which actually produces original content insofar you are talking about news, they just aggregate/source existing ones. The entire model of wikipedia relies on sourcing content other people produced

journalism presumably involves producing OC, that's media companies (even "new media") pay people whose full time job is to produce news, and signifiacant expenses will be incurred on top of wages paid

That's a fair point, but there is a certain amount of original content produced on Reddit (hell, virtually everything on Buzzfeed is cannibalized Reddit threads from AmItheAsshole or other popular subs).

Similarly, before it was captured, Twitter often functioned as an aggregator of on the ground first hand reports from bystanders or volunteers.

So it's not impossible to imagine other models of viable journalism along those lines. Deeply flawed and problematic in many ways, sure, but checking the threshold boxes of minimally viable and minimally journalistic.

Again the test threshold posited for the thread is "viable" not "good."