Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, I don’t really have an answer to the problems of journalism funding. Part of the problem is that basically all funding models are potentially corrupting in their own way. The problems with advertiser and government funding, as well as the patronage of a “benevolent” individual rich person, are obvious, but what we’ve surprisingly learned over the past few years is that reader funding can have unhealthy effects too. People sometimes talk about the “audience capture” that afflicts Substack types, where the journalist’s worldview becomes more and more aligned with the worldviews of his readers. People like this are sometimes called “grifters,” and maybe that’s not wrong, but the really horrible thing is that I think most of them aren’t even consciously aware that they’re grifting; people are very good at convincing themselves that something that benefits them financially is morally or factually right.
I don't think there's a solution to it either

for most of history newspapers were never supposed to be an impartial source of truthful information: they were supposed to be partisan outlets meant to build a community of likeminded people. Alexander Hamilton founded one of the first newspapers in the US explicitly to trash his political opponents. That was just the default state of media for vast majority of US history. So newspapers were ok with losing money so long as it represented the political viewpoints of their sponsors.

I think for a brief era spanning from roughly the post-war through to the 90s the nature of media technology (Television) consolidated media "readership" into a few big entities (ABC, NBC, CBS) in the US. Because each station has trying to appeal to like 90% of the population they couldn't be explicit partisan outlets anymore, but has to put out news which is closer to objective reality. It's probably no accident the golden age of investigative journalism (exposing Watergate, My Lai etc) took place around this era. And when you have audiences that big advertisers have no choice but to pay you boatloads of money so media companies had an independent source of funding.

But in the age of Twitter/Social media fractured the media landscape again, now any rando on twitter can bot enough accounts to generate a large enough following so long as they market their message towards their niche audience enough. And everyone is back to listening to people who conform to their worldviews, the gatekeepers are all dead and people are getting their news from easily faked twitter screencaps. Even if legitimate journalism does get funding through fining facebook/twitter their audience will probably continue to shrink: for better or worse.

Necrobama posted:

Would it be too god damned much to ask for to see DV eat more than a token sixer for their consistency in speaking down to other posters as though the simple act of questioning him were a personal offense?

I do find it kinda meta that a page or so into the thread the discussion has already shifted to forum drama about DV and Cspam vs DnD round 999999 LOL

Typo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Probably Magic posted:

The constant fear mongering over RT that's completely absent from Western sources who are just as propagandists is just xenophobia, unless you want to argue Brian Williams talking about the beauty of our weaponry is objective analysis. Almost like the objection is not to impartiality but who the impartiality is for.
there's plenty of fearmongering over western media within the west tho, trust in domestic media is pretty low across the board

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any time I try to search for anything now, half the top results are clearly AI generated spam articles, often even when I'm searching truly obscure errata.

I'd suggest nationalizing twitter as a first step but we'd need to figure out how to reconcile the 1st amendment with the paradox of tolerance. Systematically, at scale.
just append "reddit" to your search will instantly improve results

the problem is that SEO has gotten too good at gaming google search algorithms, we are kinda back at the earlier days of the internet when instead of having reliable search engine to give you what you want you kinda just have to know 3-5 places to look for answers to things you want

nationalizing whatever won't fix the problem: there's way too much money to gaming search results

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

socialsecurity posted:

Nationalizing an online platform has always been an idea I've toyed with, I mean Twitter or something like it basically serves as an online Post Office in a lot of ways. But yeah government control means censorship and moderation become real tricky things.

there would be -less- censorship/moderation on a 1st amendment protected public platform than on a private platform.

however keep in mind this might not produce the results you want. A lot of the content coming out would just be transphobia and racism, now protected by the constitution from being removed.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah that's the problem, it would be full on hate speech 24/7, the right's very good at organizing harassment and bot armies already with no censorship or moderation everything would turn to unusable poo poo very fast.

yeah when twitter first came out I was pretty optimistic about the democraization of information etc

turns out reality really really doesn't work that way

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I mean we could also nationalize Google and stop selling advertising on it at all.

you don't need google to show ads on your website, you just need google to show your website at the top of the result list so ppl click on it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I mean it *can*. Wikipedia is still doing pretty well overall, and provides a perfectly usable model . .
.so long as you have a low cost to operate and can rely on philanthropy and manage to avoid having anyone interested in rent extraction in your leadership

So yeah I usually just add "wiki" to all my searches now

Wikipedia depends on an enormous amount of moderation (which you can easily frame as censorship) by volunteers and is yeah, still a private organization

it would be pretty interesting how Wikipedia functions if it gets nationalized now that I think about it, does every single mod action to remove some BS now eligible to be taken up in court on 1st amendment grounds?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

WarpedLichen posted:

I think Wikipedia is in a dangerous spot that it's been pretty good on a broad range of subjects for a long time that people forget that it's edited largely by internet nobodies and is subject to the same stresses as every other source. They even have a page detailing the historical challenges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

I think reddit is in the same boat, where as a community aggregator people will try to game it for malicious purposes, so it will always be a buyer beware situation.

at least there isn't as much immediate financial incentive to game wiki as there is to gaming google

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Probably Magic posted:

but it did give a glimpse on the Chinese state's view more directly than the New York Times pretending they're a neutral party as they call a blatant genocide an "Israel-Hamas War." National agencies like RT, BBC, NHK, etc. have more my respect than Western televised media theater, even if they very much don't have my trust.

I don't think RT or BBC are calling it a genocide either

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Oh sure no system is perfectible. I'm just looking for examples of systems that have proven able to function without obvious corruption, financial collapse, or what Cory doctorow has been referring to as "enshittification".

Reddit is also worth looking at yeah. There's a reason we keep adding "Reddit" or "wiki" to our searches. What's that reason and can we adapt it out to other media?

the crass answer is simply that SEO haven't adapted yet

so if you just add reddit to end of a search term you get relevant answers like you would have 10 years ago

but if everyone starts to append 'reddit' to end of questions like "what phone should I buy" rest assured it will be useless quickly as well

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

koolkal posted:

It shouldn't really be an issue since Google allows you to just search under a site directly. Adding "reddit" at the end is a simpler but worse way but adding "site:reddit.com" will actually filter all results to only reddit.

what if SEO companies can just figure out how to make -their- post show up on top of the list if you enter site:reddit.com

it's probably harder to do it on someone else's platform tho, and the cost to doing so (i.e getting around anti-botting measures) might be more expensive than it's worth

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Main Paineframe posted:

There's also another important pressure affecting independent news agencies: the desire to report what the public wants to hear. Independent news outlets ultimately make their money from getting the most viewers, and so they do need to be conscious of public opinion and they do tend to drift toward popular views and stances.

an interesting tidbit is that this is true even in state media when given some degree of independence

like during the 2000s Beijing gave its state owned media agencies more freedom to report on stuff they want: the theory was that they would do investigate journalism on corruption within local governments and help the central government keep them line

instead what they got was hyper-nationalistic venting over boundary disputes in the south China sea and elevate a bunch of fairly inconsequential incidents over fishing vessels into a major national cause when Beijing didn't particularly -want- to escalate. And the reason wasn't so much because the people managing those agencies supported escalation, it was just because nationalism sold well and the different media agencies were fighting for ratings.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I mean, yes. It's pretty terrible. But it seems to be the best available option, largely because it is driven by a nonprofit model.

Unless anyone has a better proposal, that's your viable model for modern journalism. Reddit and Wikipedia.

neither of which actually produces original content insofar you are talking about news, they just aggregate/source existing ones. The entire model of wikipedia relies on sourcing content other people produced

journalism presumably involves producing OC, that's media companies (even "new media") pay people whose full time job is to produce news, and signifiacant expenses will be incurred on top of wages paid

Typo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 3, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

That's a fair point, but there is a certain amount of original content produced on Reddit (hell, virtually everything on Buzzfeed is cannibalized Reddit threads from AmItheAsshole or other popular subs).

Similarly, before it was captured, Twitter often functioned as an aggregator of on the ground first hand reports from bystanders or volunteers.

So it's not impossible to imagine other models of viable journalism along those lines. Deeply flawed and problematic in many ways, sure, but checking the threshold boxes of minimally viable and minimally journalistic.

Again the test threshold posited for the thread is "viable" not "good."

I think journalism consists more than just passing along first degree accounts from people claiming to be witnesses to a particular event

The other problem I see (and I"m sure you do too) is that the twitter/reddit model involves a lot of unpaid volunteer work. Good example would be the OSINT community who publishes their content on twitter: very few of whom are paid. Which means a lot of people contributing value are not being compensated for the work they put in. Whatever you say about a journalist working for CNN or NYT or RT, at very least they are drawing a paycheque that pays rent.

The utimate profiteers of said unpaid work are owners of platforms, or people who copy/paste their work, in the form of views/ad revenue.

Typo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 4, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I like this one quote which basically goes "Aristotle was one of the greatest scientists in human history, he was wrong about almost everything, but that doesn't stop making him a great scientist"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

T Zero posted:

In just the past month, Washington Post had 250 buyouts, The Messenger laid off nearly 10 percent of its staff and contemplated shutting down altogether, Conde Nast and Vox media also had layoffs.

I wonder if they went through the same thing as tech, which bloated their headcount during COVID and did layoffs post-COVID to it back down to earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

T Zero posted:

I think most news outlets were cutting staff the whole time. First it was sports and dining coverage, followed by broader newsroom cuts. But media outlets definitely go through hiring and firing binges, I've noticed.

Thought this was a useful window into the Washington Post, legacy media, and TV (sub or trial required): https://puck.news/post-modernism-theories/

Seems pretty grim. Interestingly it draws a distinction between "linear" and streaming content:

And

My guess is TV networks are going to fill some of the online void left by the retreat of digital and print media.

TV networks probably just has an older viewer base who will always turn in no matter what

once the boomers are gone tho I don't see how cable news is sustainable