Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Necrobama posted:

Yeah, the layout of Substack is...well it's something.

On the one hand, you've got someone like the aforementioned Chris Hedges - he's got a long, storied career of journalistic and activist work from reporting on-the-ground during our illegal occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan to teaching basic literacy and drama/theater/writing to incarcerated people. He's been featured on Democracy Now!, he's been a Keynote Speaker at the International Festival of Authors, been featured on VICE, and has been ejected from both The New York Times and is a defrocked minister. Love him or hate him, the man is a credentialed, experienced professional.

And then there's the rest of Substack. The Greenwalds, Taibbis, the absolute bottom of the dredge barrel people with takes (note here I'm specifically not using the term 'journalist', rather, portraying these figures as 'take artists').

You can take someone like Hedges and very easily show that he has had the same consistent set of beliefs as an anti-war NYT reporter as he does as a :airquote: Russian Disinformation Agent :airquote: after most of the US imperialist media turned on him and forced them out of their reputable spaces (like they did with Tara Reade!).
I really like this post because it illustrates that the issue with readers actually tends to cut in the other direction.

Right-wing media is fairly clustered - in terms of TV, for instance, there's Fox News, Newsmax, and...that's pretty much it. Everything else is consumed and staffed by the left-of-center, and for them the biggest contemporary issue in journalism is that readers not only refuse to read information or opinions that contradict their own worldview, but that they believe that anyone writing in this way is illegitimate, should be pilloried and lose their job.

The idea that Taibbi and Greenwald aren't journalists, I mean. They've been reporters for decades. They've both written a shelf of books and won numerous awards for their journalism. You can get as angry as you want with their, uh, takes, but by any objective standard, they sure are journalists. I don't read Greenwald, but I'm a longtime Taibbi reader and although I certainly don't agree with every opinion piece he's writing these days (or even most) he is also doing some incredible journalism.

The only way to view Taibbi and Greenwald as "bottom of the dredge barrel take artists" is if you have been so poisoned by the hyperbolic Twitter echo chamber that you just refuse to engage with any news or information that could possibly threaten your worldview. And for many outlets, like the NYT and MSNBC, their primary mission has become not to conduct reporting and contextualize facts with a range of interpretive opinion. It's to be a safe, warm cocoon for consumers to reassure themselves that they're already 100% right about everything and that their views have inherent virtue. That isn't journalism, it's masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU