Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

Lightly updated from the media lit thread OP material I'd provided before, since we're speedrunning the relativism and anti, uh, "gravitas" arguments...

I wouldn't regard the Intercept as a bad source at all and while RT is Russian state media, I think it has its uses as a comparison to American corporate media. Russia is lovely but they are not the sum of all evils. I am particularly appalled by their treatment of the LGBT community and its choice to invade Ukraine rather than using some other method, for instance. On foreign policy though, they are also up against American Empire and all of its cruelties, including genocide, abusing 3rd world debt to impose pro-business policy on less powerful countries, sanctions that starve people, and most importantly for this thread, a compliant mainstream media that it pressures in to doing stenography for the pentagon and state department. They didn't invade Ukraine for no reason at all or because Putin is the new Hitler. Folks over at C-spam gave me a perspective I had not considered, that the Euromaidan protest was an illegitimate coup against a democratically elected leader by a minority of the country situated in the west, that was stirred up at least in part by the CIA. I feel that RT, for all its flaws is a useful counterweight to US corporate media, as long as it is in moderation, and used in comparison to US media, which has blind spots. We should see more than one side to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-it-could-happen-here-30717896/episode/the-right-wing-palestine-grifters-part-134534937/

It could happen here did a three part series on how far right and nationalist grifters are using the Palestine situation. I saw aspects of myself in this discussion and this thread gave me things to think about. They talked about the radicalization pipeline that folks like me went through, who came out of college just in time for the 2008 financial crash to make my degree worthless. We spent our youths learning about how America were the perfect good guys and got to college and discovered we were lied to. We learned about the war crimes, the overthrown democracies, and how the media is managed by the military industrial complex which leads us away from the mainstream media. Eventually we see the flaws in organizations like Occupy Wall Street and the DSA and are led to buying in to the narratives of nationalists from dictatorships that oppose the united states, then we start to adopt Russia's culture war grievances. This podcast and your responses gave me a lot to think about. I saw some of myself in it. I was drawn to C-Spam's perspective because when I first got here I wanted to talk about Israel Palestine but the DnD thread itself is kind of useless, so I went over to C-Spam. I generally favor the Ukrainian side of the Ukraine conflict but C-spam's consensus changed my mind about Russia. It probably helped that they shamed me. But hearing this podcast made me wonder if I was being manipulated by apologists. I just want to do the right thing and advocate for the side of good.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-it-could-happen-here-30717896/episode/the-right-wing-palestine-grifters-part-134791623/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-it-could-happen-here-30717896/episode/the-right-wing-palestine-grifters-part-135045329/

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

socialsecurity posted:

Do you have any sources that the US has even close to as much control over the media as Russia has over RT? Or a quote of someone who thinks RT is untrustworthy but blindly believes Western sources?

There's no G men that walk around newsrooms and tell American journalists what to write. There don't need to be G men doing that. The control is not direct, and yet the media is compliant and largely uncritically takes the line of the state department and the pentagon.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean we could also nationalize Google and stop selling advertising on it at all.

Corey Doctorow solution was something called "privacy first." So many of the worst problems of the tech industry spring from their ability to do surveillance and tracking on a grand scale.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
For a country that values open debate, the US government certainly loves to publish propaganda internationally through Voice of America and put pressure on social media companies and cable providers not to air views contrary to the position of the state department on Ukraine and Israel. I don't agree with those positions very much. I do see Putin as more in the wrong on Ukraine and I fully condemn his eliminationist attitude and the attitude of his allies on LGBT people but shutting down the anti-war perspective isn't right. There are times for moderation and pruning but merely being pro-Russia or anti-Ukraine war are not those times. I don't think that crossed the line. We have to face a reality where there is no algorithm for truth and that while moderation is necessary, no one with power can be trusted to do the moderation.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

However problematic it may be, I think you may not be familiar with the governance structure of VoA as compared with an entity like RT or, for example, redfish. I can't evaluate your claim about "putting pressure on social media and cable companies to not air views contrary to the position of the state department on Ukraine and Israel" because I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about. Can you provide any sources?

here's one: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/tiktok-ban-israel-gaza-palestine-hamas-account-creator-video-rcna122849 https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2024/1/2/whats-really-at-stake-in-the-us-moves-to-ban-tiktok

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34LGPIXvU5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Discendo Vox posted:

Like, the idea of continuing to promote Chomsky's bullshit at this point should be a giant red flag not only for the deficits of the model but for its own track record in his hands.

Chomsky is one of the most respect public intellectuals in the world, for good reason.