Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Necrobama posted:

It's terribly unfortunate that our resident expert in dem campaign fundraising and financing got run off the forums because it'd sure be a boon to the community if someone within the company was able to comment on a story like this one: https://theintercept.com/2023/04/23/saudi-arabia-democratic-party-campaign-ngp-van/

Perhaps Vox is simply making the very mistake w/r/t The Intercept that he warns others against:

It may be unappealing to read that the dem's GOTV and voterfile database is now just another ledger in a private equity firm's catalog rather than an organic tool of the Democratic party, but just because one might not like that conclusion that isn't carte blanche to write the reporting off.

Who or what are you even arguing against here? Did anyone say anything bad about the Intercept? Or does this have something to do with how the Intercept makes money? This feels like yet another thread turned into "yell at the evil dems"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Necrobama posted:

I was building off of this post:

I don't care to actually go digging through DV's post history, so I am operating under the good faith assumption that CtH is not simply making things up about DV.

This ironically circles back to the issue of "people just want to read the headline" DV posted a single Intercept article in that thread that was bad. He then posted dozens of times about how just because a place posts a bad article or has weaknesses doesn't mean it's a useless source of information. So trying to "own" him with good articles from the Intercept just proves the point he was trying to make in the first place.

Which leads to the problem journalism seems have, people mostly only care about headlines and outrage not what actually happened or reading any sort of actual article describing the situation, certainly not enough to pay for it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Necrobama posted:

So would you agree then, that it's not enough to write off say, journalists with anti-interventionalist biases simply based on which platform was willing to elevate them?

Why don't you just get to the point/accusation you obviously want to make here? Are you upset that someone doesn't believe some RT article or something? I think there's room in the topic to discuss that kind of thing because at the rate things are going maybe state ran propaganda outlets might be one of the few traditional media left.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

The constant fear mongering over RT that's completely absent from Western sources who are just as propagandists is just xenophobia, unless you want to argue Brian Williams talking about the beauty of our weaponry is objective analysis. Almost like the objection is not to impartiality but who the impartiality is for.

Do you have any sources that the US has even close to as much control over the media as Russia has over RT? Or a quote of someone who thinks RT is untrustworthy but blindly believes Western sources?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zoeb posted:

There's no G men that walk around newsrooms and tell American journalists what to write. There don't need to be G men doing that. The control is not direct, and yet the media is compliant and largely uncritically takes the line of the state department and the pentagon.

The "media" is such a large vague category here to almost be meaningless.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any time I try to search for anything now, half the top results are clearly AI generated spam articles, often even when I'm searching truly obscure errata.

I'd suggest nationalizing twitter as a first step but we'd need to figure out how to reconcile the 1st amendment with the paradox of tolerance. Systematically, at scale.

Nationalizing an online platform has always been an idea I've toyed with, I mean Twitter or something like it basically serves as an online Post Office in a lot of ways. But yeah government control means censorship and moderation become real tricky things.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Typo posted:

there would be -less- censorship/moderation on a 1st amendment protected public platform than on a private platform.

however keep in mind this might not produce the results you want. A lot of the content coming out would just be transphobia and racism, now protected by the constitution from being removed.

Yeah that's the problem, it would be full on hate speech 24/7, the right's very good at organizing harassment and bot armies already with no censorship or moderation everything would turn to unusable poo poo very fast.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

Obviously. The difference is specifically who is doing the editing and in the service of what interests.

I think there is also the consideration of how able/willing a person is to speak up when an interview they did is edited like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah it's not some huge revelation that companies that require people to read/watch it to make sustain themselves find that being overly harsh to the population they need for survival doesn't improve their bottom line.