Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
cinci it's your thread and all but I think maybe this isn't the best place for april fools posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

:golfclap:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Goddamit cinci, I fell for that for a minute.

I think making some fun of Russia's scraping of the tank barrel is fine, but I feel betrayed by cinci. You're supposed to be bereft of humour, dammit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

cinci it's your thread and all but I think maybe this isn't the best place for april fools posts.

People wanted a chiller thread, and it's the 1st of April, and I've evidently made a decision to post it. That said, between this post being the immediate response to it and that post being the last on its page, the joke will definitely land closer to the heart of your post than to its desired effect.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:mods::catstare:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People wanted a chiller thread, and it's the 1st of April, and I've evidently made a decision to post it. That said, between this post being the immediate response to it and that post being the last on its page, the joke will definitely land closer to the heart of your post than to its desired effect.

I think we said we wanted more joke posts by funny people. :v:

Ukraine buying some wheeled apcs from Poland. Imagine it would be nice for the Ukranian logistics fellows to finally get away from the mishmash approach. What will they even do with all the stuff they have left over if they don't standardize to it?
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1642190305377042432?cxt=HHwWgIC22bnYncotAAAA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

It was a joke about Lukashenko's recent "Totally not going to stay in power by changing the constitution" soundbite + the new thread.

Touche :laffo:

WarpedLichen posted:

I think we said we wanted more joke posts by funny people. :v:

Ukraine buying some wheeled apcs from Poland. Imagine it would be nice for the Ukranian logistics fellows to finally get away from the mishmash approach. What will they even do with all the stuff they have left over if they don't standardize to it?
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1642190305377042432?cxt=HHwWgIC22bnYncotAAAA

They'll just sell them, to countries using the individual stuff, or for scrap.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is explicitly the narrative everywhere right now that I'm seeing. Echoed everywhere ftom American politics to crypto Twitter, so clearly all of the Russian propaganda is on force.

I've also seen on twitter multiple accounts claiming countries are buying energy from China using Chinese currency and bypassing using reserve currency (US dollar), and this is going to destroy America.

I didn't think Chinese currency was all that valuable, so how is it possible to use it as a reserve currency?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I've also seen on twitter multiple accounts claiming countries are buying energy from China using Chinese currency and bypassing using reserve currency (US dollar), and this is going to destroy America.

I didn't think Chinese currency was all that valuable, so how is it possible to use it as a reserve currency?

You can use any currency you keep in reserve as your reserve currency. Whether if that produces a useful outcome is a separate question.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I wonder if those are similar to the people who say that Gaddafi was about to destroy America forever with a new oil-purchasing reserve currency and that's why he was taken out, putting aside that the UK/France were the ones who wanted to intervene, not Obama.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Dammit you actually got me.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

WarpedLichen posted:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1642165686788038656?cxt=HHwWgICx9bq_ksotAAAA

Michael Kofman tweet on Russian tactics in Bakhmut - where Russian forces have been pressing more in central Bakhmut rather than the north and south to complete the pincer.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1641924449946554368?cxt=HHwWgMC-sdDlpMktAAAA

I'm not necessarily sure how pushing into the center of the city avoids those problems though?

The risk of a pincer attack is that you are extended into the enemy rear, so if you don't close off the pincer and reduce the pocket you are yourself at risk of being pocketed. A frontal push can be stopped without being encircled.

That said, take commentary from people with good relationships to the Ukrainians with a grain of salt. If the Russians are making a critical mistake he's not going to tell them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

I wonder if those are similar to the people who say that Gaddafi was about to destroy America forever with a new oil-purchasing reserve currency and that's why he was taken out, putting aside that the UK/France were the ones who wanted to intervene, not Obama.

Besides, Paul Krugman has written a number of columns about how being a reserve currency is largely irrelevant to the economy as a whole. If the US$ stopped being a reserve currency no one would really notice.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

I saw that one too at the same time American accounts with bad English grammar insisting France paid China with Yuan instead of dollars and this is the death of American domination.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love how every reply to this in that thread is "Oh come on, Calibre, this is just a preview of 3-6 months from now".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
More people would've fallen for it without the "Shoigu plushie."

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That’s what sealed the deal to me. I started to get doubts about how Russia would be able to source the thermal optics.

Russia pulling out WWII tanks seems to be something completely feasible at the point, even if the graphic looks way too modern for that era…

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That was just good manners from Calibre I think, since T-55 tanks are already involved in this.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Turns out Twitter has been categorising posts about Ukraine in the same suppression bucket as Election and Medical Misinfo.

https://twitter.com/aakashg0/status/1641976925064245249

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paracausal posted:

Turns out Twitter has been categorising posts about Ukraine in the same suppression bucket as Election and Medical Misinfo.

https://twitter.com/aakashg0/status/1641976925064245249

This looks like a pro click in general, for people who would like to have a better feeling on what makes tweets click.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This looks like a pro click in general, for people who would like to have a better feeling on what makes tweets click.

I think it highlights just how obscure information shaping operations can be. For example, it's been suspected for some time that Elon Musk's account was given special amplification. The code released shows that to be a fact.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I think it highlights just how obscure information shaping operations can be. For example, it's been suspected for some time that Elon Musk's account was given special amplification. The code released shows that to be a fact.

Funnily, he had it redacted since then, but this was a yet another Twitter Spaces flameout, earlier in the week, from Elon.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Funnily, he had it redacted since then, but this was a yet another Twitter Spaces flameout, earlier in the week, from Elon.

Is there any way to know that? Musk saying things are being done is a whole other thing than them actually being done. Removing "Elon is the Most Special Boy" and not replacing it with "Elon is the Very Most Special Boy" seems unlikely.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there any way to know that? Musk saying things are being done is a whole other thing than them actually being done. Removing "Elon is the Most Special Boy" and not replacing it with "Elon is the Very Most Special Boy" seems unlikely.

They literally 0osted the code to Github. Code repositories store old versions forever. The only thing they could do would be to remove access, but I'm sure lots of people created forks (copies) of the original.

Elon owned himself pretty hard.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

They literally 0osted the code to Github. Code repositories store old versions forever. The only thing they could do would be to remove access, but I'm sure lots of people created forks (copies) of the original.

Elon owned himself pretty hard.

Github can and has rescinded access to forks based on the original repo being closed or banned or something like that. But plenty of people cloned it probably.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Slo-Tek posted:

I meant to say that the code was “deleted” from the public copy. Given the background context (principal engineer fired for telling Musk that people were just getting bored of him), I very much doubt that there was a parity change in the real system.

Search for "elon" on these 2 pags:

Old: https://github.com/twitter/the-algo...ates.scala#L225
Current: https://github.com/twitter/the-algo...redicates.scala

Edit: Cleanup commit https://github.com/twitter/the-algorithm/commit/ec83d01dcaebf369444d75ed04b3625a0a645eb9

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 1, 2023

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Micro-documentary on some of Ukraine's artillery pieces, old USSR 2S7 Pion/Peon and new German-made Panzerhaubitze 2000's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnk_bajoG48

:nws: :nms: there are some explosions but no humans visible (abandoned tank or something?)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

According to this article, russian planes have been dropping bombs on ukranian forces: https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/03/30/russians-started-dropping-guided-aviation-bombs-on-the-frontline-en-masse/

There isn't a lot of other reporting about this yet, so I'm not sure if this just represents more low-level lobbing attacks or whether it means that Ukraine is running low enough on ground-based air defenses that they can't protect all frontline areas.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

big shtick energy posted:

According to this article, russian planes have been dropping bombs on ukranian forces: https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/03/30/russians-started-dropping-guided-aviation-bombs-on-the-frontline-en-masse/

There isn't a lot of other reporting about this yet, so I'm not sure if this just represents more low-level lobbing attacks or whether it means that Ukraine is running low enough on ground-based air defenses that they can't protect all frontline areas.

The article says that it's guided bombs flying “dozens of kilometres”, which could simply mean a positional advantage even in a nominally well-defended area. That said, they're reportedly facing serious shortages of munitions for Soviet AD systems like Buk or S-300.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

There's been RUMINT (Tom Cooper's blog) since at least a couple of weeks ago that Ukrainian high-altitude air defense has been pushed back and no longer covers Avdiivka, allowing the Russians to bomb it. I have no idea what his sources for that were, as I didn't see any real confirmation on English twitter.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I thought those were referring to the JDAM gliding bomb equivalent Russia has, which has been getting coverage since early March.

https://kyivindependent.com/defense-express-russia-uses-new-1-5-ton-gliding-bombs-on-ukraine-for-first-time/

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/expert-russia-1-500-kg-111800910.html

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I appreciated the joke and fell for it lol

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A minor thing popped up in my head - once all the paperwork is delivered and Finland is officially in NATO, does it mean they will need to accept Sweden's request to join as well?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mmkay posted:

A minor thing popped up in my head - once all the paperwork is delivered and Finland is officially in NATO, does it mean they will need to accept Sweden's request to join as well?

No. Why would you think that?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Because they're not getting into NATO at the same time? They wanted to do that, but as far as I understand Sweden will have to wait for some unspecified extra time, while Finland is basically good to go? Were there similar situations in the previous group accessions?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mmkay posted:

Because they're not getting into NATO at the same time? They wanted to do that, but as far as I understand Sweden will have to wait for some unspecified extra time, while Finland is basically good to go? Were there similar situations in the previous group accessions?

Finland made a bit of a foreign policy thing about going together with Sweden, because Finland and Sweden are usually foreign policy buddies going back to the Cold War and how Finland needed Sweden to threaten the Soviet Union with Sweden joining NATO to keep the Soviets off Finland's back. All that said, this was dropped when it became clear that Ergodan had his sights set on Sweden's supposed friendliness with what Turkey calls terrorist organizations. It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine how terroristic these groups may or may not be.

The way NATO membership works is, each member state has to give a thumbs up in some way or another for a new joinee to get aboard. Hungary and Turkey gave their parliamentary thumbs up to Finland just now, but there is nothing in this process that would suggest that this thumbs up would somehow transition over to Sweden getting the same treatment. Sweden must undergo the same process, and nothing about Finland being able to join changes Sweden's situation.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Finland made a bit of a foreign policy thing about going together with Sweden, because Finland and Sweden are usually foreign policy buddies going back to the Cold War and how Finland needed Sweden to threaten the Soviet Union with Sweden joining NATO to keep the Soviets off Finland's back. All that said, this was dropped when it became clear that Ergodan had his sights set on Sweden's supposed friendliness with what Turkey calls terrorist organizations. It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine how terroristic these groups may or may not be.

The way NATO membership works is, each member state has to give a thumbs up in some way or another for a new joinee to get aboard. Hungary and Turkey gave their parliamentary thumbs up to Finland just now, but there is nothing in this process that would suggest that this thumbs up would somehow transition over to Sweden getting the same treatment. Sweden must undergo the same process, and nothing about Finland being able to join changes Sweden's situation.

I think the question is if Finland is a NATO member, if they have to in turn ratify Sweden's accession protocol as NATO members.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I think you misunderstood me/I asked the question poorly (or I'm misunderstanding your explanation, I only just woke up) - my question was: will Finland need to accept Sweden to NATO?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I think the question is if Finland is a NATO member, if they have to in turn ratify Sweden's accession protocol as NATO members.

Egg on my face again, you're right :(

edit in response to me being an idiot: Even with our new parliament, if Finland votes on Sweden's accession, it will be a no-brainer yes since we don't really have a significant pro-Russia party.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
of course nobody expected Finland to deny Sweden's accession, it was just a fun procedural question.