Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, I get that if Congress never cuts anyone off then nobody is worried about being cut off. That makes sense.

I was responding to a post that said "Congress cutting them off is a surer route with fewer consequences." That statement reflects a hypothetical where Congress actually cuts someone off. I was asking why, in that case where the cutting-off by Congress actually happens, there would be fewer consequences than if the president actually cut someone off.

Because the threshold of action and number of people involved necessary for Congressional action is higher. This means such an action is less likely to be viewed as arbitrary or likely to reoccur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Remember when Trump withheld weapons for Ukraine until they would help him smear a political opponent?

But bear in mind that some nations have American built arms from before they ended up on a poo poo list via revolution or whatever. Iran had a bunch of fighters they just couldn't get parts or updates for. Sort of understandable for big things, but if you're worried that you'll become logistically stranded due to one person, vs a bunch of people who are specifically given money because the MIC really, really wants to sell weapons abroad, that changes who you do business with.

Think about France after Britain pressured them into giving kill commands for the anti ship missiles Argentina bought, and imagine what that did for their arms sale popularity

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Think about France after Britain pressured them into giving kill commands for the anti ship missiles Argentina bought, and imagine what that did for their arms sale popularity

France didn't give Britain some magic broadcast to turn off Exocets. They helped interdict and tamper with the international supply of those that Argentina did not already have inside the inventory. And they let Britain train against French aircraft. But there was no "missile no worky" hack.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

France didn't give Britain some magic broadcast to turn off Exocets. They helped interdict and tamper with the international supply of those that Argentina did not already have inside the inventory. And they let Britain train against French aircraft. But there was no "missile no worky" hack.

... I have been misled! Curse you, Internet!

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
During the conflict, the Argentine Navy launched a total of five Exocet missiles at British warships, with four of them hitting their targets. The first two Exocet hits occurred on May 4, 1982, when the destroyer HMS Sheffield was hit and later sank due to the damage. The third Exocet hit occurred on May 25, 1982, when the cargo ship Atlantic Conveyor was hit and later sunk, resulting in the loss of several helicopters and other critical supplies. The fourth Exocet hit occurred on June 8, 1982, when the frigate HMS Glamorgan was hit, resulting in the loss of several crew members.

Yeah. No 'magic turnoff' buttons. Well, maybe the one that missed.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Putting a killswitch to your missiles sounds like a terrible idea to me. You are one hack away from losing your entire arsenal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Keisari posted:

Putting a killswitch to your missiles sounds like a terrible idea to me. You are one hack away from losing your entire arsenal.

Not your own, just the exports.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Not your own, just the exports.

Lmao, good point. However, buying such missiles seems like a terrible idea to me for the same reason.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It took a while, but the currently heightened pace of air attacks made Germany supply a third Patriot-system.

The Bundeswehr was ordered to immediately pack up and send the system, so it should arrive in Ukraine shortly.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Keisari posted:

Chief Marshal of Artillery Nedelin has logged in.

Edit: sorry, had to. I'm listening to the WTYP cast of the Nedelin Catastrophe right now and the timing of your post was irresistible.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 14, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Not only golf carts are serving as front line assault vehicles but now joined by motor bikes and urals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-separatists-on-motorcycles-appear-assault-ukrainian-positions-outwit-drones-2024-4?op=1

All assaults have failed for very obvious reasons. Infinite russian stockpile of tanks and armored vehicles and it's insane production that is able to cover all losses has a funny way of manifesting itself.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

haddedam posted:

Not only golf carts are serving as front line assault vehicles but now joined by motor bikes and urals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-separatists-on-motorcycles-appear-assault-ukrainian-positions-outwit-drones-2024-4?op=1

All assaults have failed for very obvious reasons. Infinite russian stockpile of tanks and armored vehicles and it's insane production that is able to cover all losses has a funny way of manifesting itself.

I don't understand why you constantly need to make light of the situation where even Ukraine admits its army is on the backfoot with Russia outnumbering Ukraine in every way. It's the definition of copium for copium's sake. Ukraine has to heavily rely on FPV drones due to shortage of artillery shells, and the article you linked posits that the use of motorcycles is effective in outrunning the drones. Russia doesn't care about losing thousands of soldiers to capture a ruined village, so giving them old Javas to zoom around can only improve things.

As an aside, lol that Business Insider quotes the insane twitter user Lord Bebo. Figuring out telegram embeds to cite a primary source is too hard, I guess.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finnish combat messengers use dirt bikes and snowmobiles, but then the terrain provides good concealment. That footage makes one think of Mad Max.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

haddedam posted:

But are they the GOOD motor bikes?

You know, the ones they can play card games on.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Moktaro posted:

But are they the GOOD motor bikes?

You know, the ones they can play card games on.

Dueling the quad drones to not get sent to the shadow realm.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Paladinus posted:

As an aside, lol that Business Insider quotes the insane twitter user Lord Bebo. Figuring out telegram embeds to cite a primary source is too hard, I guess.

lmao didnt notice this. Dr Snekotron was unavailable I guess!!!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 15, 2024

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Ukraine literally uses quad bikes too. I don't get the whole "LOL SILLY RUSSIANS USING GOLF CARTS/ DIRT BIKES ETC". Transportation is transportation and for every one of those golf carts then gets blown up there's probably a few that get through because Ukraine is desperately short of ammo right now (thanks Republicans!) which is why Ukraine is not doing too well right now.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I believe the thinking is that russia should be held to a higher standard given that they present themselves as a prominent world power as apposed to the much smaller and poorer Ukraine.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
the poo poo the russians are driving looks like powerwheels, that's why people talk about it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ikasuhito posted:

I believe the thinking is that russia should be held to a higher standard given that they present themselves as a prominent world power as apposed to the much smaller and poorer Ukraine.

its this tbh

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
So when can we start feeling better about the direction of the war? Russians on horseback getting whacked by FPV drones?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

So when can we start feeling better about the direction of the war? Russians on horseback getting whacked by FPV drones?

TNT-loaded Buhanka assaults probably

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dick Ripple posted:

You joke, but I wouldn't be so quick to put that tongue in your cheek. I very well may happen.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Ukraine literally uses quad bikes too. I don't get the whole "LOL SILLY RUSSIANS USING GOLF CARTS/ DIRT BIKES ETC". Transportation is transportation and for every one of those golf carts then gets blown up there's probably a few that get through because Ukraine is desperately short of ammo right now (thanks Republicans!) which is why Ukraine is not doing too well right now.

People are making fun of the Russians for using these vehicles as battlefield transport instead of APCs, not for using them for logistics transport instead of trucks.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

fatherboxx posted:

TNT-loaded Buhanka assaults probably

NMSthis warcrime already happenedNMS

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nenonen posted:

Finnish combat messengers use dirt bikes and snowmobiles, but then the terrain provides good concealment. That footage makes one think of Mad Max.

I just went into a combat messenger unit's workshop this weekend to get a roll of garbage bags, and I'm pretty sure I have all the cancer.

They're basically Warhammer dirt bikes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ikasuhito posted:

You joke, but I wouldn't be so quick to put that tongue in your cheek. I very well may happen.

:ohdear:

I certainly hope you don't!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

hepatizon posted:

People are making fun of the Russians for using these vehicles as battlefield transport instead of APCs, not for using them for logistics transport instead of trucks.

Both sides are throwing absolutely everything at each other, are we also gonna make fun of Ukranian artillery teams for only having one shell a day to shoot?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Both sides are throwing absolutely everything at each other, are we also gonna make fun of Ukranian artillery teams for only having one shell a day to shoot?

No, we're going to cry/scream into our pillow at night until the sweet release of sleep finally takes us at 1:53 am, only to be jolted awake a few short hours later to start working again.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

Ukraine doesn't claim to be a great power, so no. Russia however...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jesus

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1780139657088426438?t=pApEwb6toDb4wJs4-0i39w&s=19

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
c) they made several at once

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's like when hermit crab pick random plastic trash as their shelter.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Do we have shots of them not on the move?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

BabyFur Denny posted:

Ukrainian foreign policy isn’t “we’re the best army in the world so we should be allowed to invade other countries without repercussions” so no, their situation should be deplored rather than mocked.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

idk, makes sense if the main problem the Russian are trying to solve are small drones. So they are trying turtle tanks that would need to be stopped by bigger weapons and motorbikes that move too fast for fpv drones to effectively engage. No idea whether it works, but APCs might not be the answer here.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

genericnick posted:

idk, makes sense if the main problem the Russian are trying to solve are small drones. So they are trying turtle tanks that would need to be stopped by bigger weapons and motorbikes that move too fast for fpv drones to effectively engage. No idea whether it works, but APCs might not be the answer here.

The big issue I see with turtle tanks is that while they might be a bit too sturdy for small drone weaponry, they probably aren't too sturdy for the kind of weapons a small drone would be able to trivially call in on it. That is what happened to original the turtle tank I believe, it was later found destroyed.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Kchama posted:

The big issue I see with turtle tanks is that while they might be a bit too sturdy for small drone weaponry, they probably aren't too sturdy for the kind of weapons a small drone would be able to trivially call in on it. That is what happened to original the turtle tank I believe, it was later found destroyed.

The story there is that Russians filmed the turtle tank in a shed 'look at our turtle tank' and someone got enough info from that footage to HIMARS the shed.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Combat footage already has videos of it being blown up basically within seconds of it appearing on the battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CeeJee posted:

The story there is that Russians filmed the turtle tank in a shed 'look at our turtle tank' and someone got enough info from that footage to HIMARS the shed.

Dumb of them, but that is kind of what I mean. If a drone can see you, a drone can call in something to blow you up. That's generally how these small drones handles anything with any sort of toughness.

The first turtle tank just told on itself instead.