Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

He can, because all sales go through the executive, but it's a really bad precedent that he desperately wants to avoid. "Buy American arms and we'll use it as an excuse to take over your military and dictate how you use them and prosecute your wars," is not a good policy. Lots of current customers would find new sources.

Congress cutting them off is a surer route with fewer consequences.

Why would Congress cutting a country off have fewer consequences than the executive doing so? The country in question would still be bothered by the US dictating how the arms are used. Current customers would still look for new sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kchama posted:

Because it's a lot harder for Congress to do it and can be explained as "I don't have control over these people, so it isn't the president screwing you over." Plausible deniability basically.

Okay, but why would a customer for US weapons care about that? The claim was that current customers would look for new suppliers if buying American arms meant you'd be dictated to about how those arms can be used. The foreign leaders are really going to say, "oh, it's Congress dictating terms, not the president, so I won't worry about it"? I get why the president could shift personal responsibility, but why is the foreign country not going to still take that precedent into account when deciding what suppliers to rely on?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kchama posted:

Because when it doesn't ever happen, that plausible deniability builds confidence. That's why it's in their control instead of the president's. If you notice, even though Congress complained about the 'bypassing', it was done using Congress's own rules allowing Biden to do so, and I don't think anyone has done anything more than bitch.

Also governmental relations are dumb.

Sure, I get that if Congress never cuts anyone off then nobody is worried about being cut off. That makes sense.

I was responding to a post that said "Congress cutting them off is a surer route with fewer consequences." That statement reflects a hypothetical where Congress actually cuts someone off. I was asking why, in that case where the cutting-off by Congress actually happens, there would be fewer consequences than if the president actually cut someone off.