Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So going back to a topic from the previous thread:

"COPENHAGEN, March 24 (Reuters) - Air force commanders from Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark said on Friday they have signed a letter of intent to create a unified Nordic air defence aimed at countering the rising threat from Russia."

How does the fact that Sweden will be the only one not currently in NATO affect this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Since we're talking about Finland, seems like there's been a significant shift in which party is control there. Does that affect anything?

(I'm not up on Finnish politics.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kxvpb/leaked-pentagon-docs-share-wild-rumor-kremlin-plans-to-throw-putins-war-while-hes-getting-chemo
"Leaked Pentagon Docs Share Wild Rumor: Kremlin Plans to ‘Throw’ Putin’s War While He’s Getting Chemo"

Even if this isn't true, bonus points if Putin really has cancer and he becomes too paranoid to get treatment.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Paracausal posted:

"About 20 percent of recruits in Russian prisoner units are H.I.V. positive, Ukrainian authorities estimate based on infection rates in captured soldiers. Serving on the front lines seemed less risky than staying in prison, the detainees said in interviews with The New York Times"

Is HIV that prevalent in Russia, is this just them jailing a bunch of LGB folk, or what?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

fatherboxx posted:

My sibling in christ, it is 2023, HIV is well past the gay disease stereotype.
But yes it is insanely bad, Russia has been leading Europe in new cases for a long time, with government trying its best to ignore it or state that its just more decadent west propaganda

Not trying to get too far off topic - yes, I'm aware it is not a gay exclusive disease -- hell, I know someone who got it through a blood transfusion as a child -- but per the CDC, supposedly in the US the majority of new cases are still among the homosexual and bisexual community:

In 2019, gay, bisexual, and other men who reported male-to-male sexual contact accounted for 70% (24,500) of the 34,800 estimated new HIV infections and 86% of estimated infections among all men.

I don't know if that's also true in Russia, but
- I certainly get the impression that Russia is very behind the times in terms of legal protection for folks of non-traditional orientations,
- The Russian regime has certainly not shied away from denouncing LGBT rights in Ukraine*,
- The regime seems more than happy to... crack down on its populace for things it doesn't like

With all of those things, I would not be surprised if this was due to a prevalence of LGBT folks in prison. Sad, but not surprised.

* For of course, I also know that may just be Putin looking for anything he can galvanize support with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 22, 2023

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If Ukraine pushes out Russia, why wouldn’t Ukraine join NATO? With Russia’s track record of invading whenever they feel like it, it kinda seems like their only way to guarantee they won’t get invaded in *rolls dice* 12 years.

Do we think everyone would readily commit to allowing them in? I mean, Sweden is already having trouble.

OAquinas posted:

Geez, the "NA" part of NATO is really getting a stretch these days, huh?

Yeah, I don't understand how this would work exactly?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is already AUKUS which Canada is making noises about joining so I could see a Pacific based defence alliance like NATO start to grow.

I thought being in NATO preventing you from joining other alliances? No?

Is this for real? Who said that?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I don't assume any regions would, but if ever there was a good time to try leaving the Russian Federation, I assume now might be it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Nenonen posted:

Look he got Lukashenko's word, would Putin ever break that?

I asked a coworker born in Ukraine (who lives in North America now) and she said people she knows in Moscow were joking that, in case of war with NATO, "we'll just dig trenches and call Lukashenko for help."

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lilljonas posted:

It also seems we promised to work inside EU to help Turkey’s application, which is funny. Like yes, I am sure everyone opposed to Turkey joining will change their tune now that Erdogan has mighty Sweden as their partner in crime.

I'm not from the EU but I have a hard time imagining this happening. Per wikipedia, sounds like Turkey would be the EU's most populous country and have the most parliament members.

EDIT: Plus, don't all EU members have to approve? Pretty sure the Greeks would not be up for this.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Tried to follow the last few pages and I might have missed it, but what/why is ISIS attacking Russia? I assume there's some a reason/goal.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The best outcome at this point is Ukraine continues to bleed Russia dry until Putin's death, whenever that occurs.

I don't know if this is clancychat, but I'm not sure this war will end with Putin's death.

.....Unless there's a Russian civil war, but that's probably not a good outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dick Ripple posted:

The West is stepping on its own dick with their handling of this war. If Russia becomes the victor in this war, NATO is going a 2500+ km long border to man/monitor with a very pissed off Russia on the other side for at least a generation. The cost of which will make the current cost of this war a bargain.

If Ukraine wins, it seems likely it will work to join the EU and NATO eventually, and then there's a different longer border with Russia, who is probably pissed off for other reasons.

...While I'd prefer certain outcomes over others, I'm not sure there's a "good" outcome really.