Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tank on tank is largely irrelevant. If I had to bet they're gonna expend the Leos etc the way both sides' tanks are expended in this war, ie being blown up by ATGMs and mines etc / stuck in terrain and blown up by a drone drop, they're going to best case scenario regain some degree of territory but it won't be decisive, and then they'll have to look long and hard at their economic malaise and remaining willing manpower, downgrade their expectations regarding their ability to regain the lost territory accordingly, and negotiate the best security guarantee they can secure in exchange for de facto acceptance of the de facto line of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm just deeply relieved for every meter they fall back without those fuckin roads cut

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Another problem is that it's only so many tubes, you have to think about what targets to even launch at.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is 7.62x39 really still used? 54R I can see in old MGs but the OG AK-47 hasn't been in use for a looking time afaik

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I don't think you will end up in Guantanamo Bay for reading NY Times.

If Ukraine gets more Patriots then that would help the stocks last that much longer. Finland would have Buk's that have been removed from use, but I don't know if they're still good (but it would be better than nothing even if a couple of them misfired) and there might be an issue with getting a re-export permit from the country that sold them to us...

Don't think the US is gonna be happy with expending, asspull number incoming, for example 100 Patriot missiles a month indefinitely.

I kinda expect that this coming offensive with the Western AFVs is gonna produce inconclusive results and that after that ppl are gonna start thinking about how to freeze the territorial status quo? Surely Russia doesn't want to advance at Bakhmut speeds indefinitely, the West doesn't want to continue dumping ammo money and limited stocks of legacy systems into a bottomless pit, and Ukraine would like to have an economy again at some point.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nothing actually happened yet. But they are escalating things at an increasing pace. It's not like they can just go "Nevermind, all that. I'm sorry let's be friends again." at this point.

Yeah it seems like someone's probably gonna die at this point, either Prigozhin or who the gently caress knows else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's absolutely wild to me that Wagner the dudes is so far following Prig on this. This is absolutely batshit and seems to solely benefit him personally since his power base was crumbling. Or his dudes really are mad at Shoigu. Guess the next test is seeing if they still follow him against a srs attempt by the military to take back control.