Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Was Medvedev such a whackjob when he was the "president" of Russia? Like I don't remember him saying anything particularly controversial at the time but maybe he did and it just flew under the radar. Did he go down the same pandemic isolation rabbit hole that Putin did and it broke his brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
People have been talking a lot in this thread about how various tanks like the T55 would do against opponent tanks. Well I stumbled across an interesting YouTube channel today called SY Simulations that uses computer generated simulations to depict how different tank shells would affect the armor of other vehicles. It's not the most exciting channel in the world, but still pretty interesting. Like here's how the armor of a T62 would stand up to the round from a Leopard 1, both of which are expected to see service in Ukraine: https://youtu.be/TtRy1IaQ69I

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Storkrasch posted:

It's strange how Russia seems to be trying to win a long war, but also uses up all its most expensive resources for minimal short-term gains. Spetsnaz, tanks, artillery etc would be much more useful against a Ukraine that has expended all its resources on counteroffensives.

It would make more sense for Russia to be on the defensive, since Ukraine clearly wants its land back.

Is Russia not trying to win a long war? What's the rush?

I mean they didn't initially plan on this being a long war. So who knows what idiotic decisions they've made after it turned out that Ukrainians were going to fight back. Also there is probably a LOT of rear end covering going on in the Russian military so that probably contributes to a lot of the boneheaded moves they've made.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Regarding the really ancient tanks that Russia has sent to Ukraine like T62s and I guess even T55s? Does Russia keep crews trained on these old tanks or is it more like crews that are trained on more modern tanks like T72s can man the older tanks without any issues? Like I know that T55s have a gunner position (and maybe T62s as well) whereas the newer tanks all have autoloaders so does Russia keep T55 tank loaders trained up at all times even though most of their T55s have been sitting in storage for decades?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Whenever I see a T64 autoloader in action I think it's amazing they still work on such old tanks. They look like such complicated devices. Here's one in action:
https://youtu.be/6okDotojj58

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mrfart posted:

Kinda weird they didn’t try to blame it on Ukrainian ‘terrorists’. Or was it so obviously a mistake they couldn’t even sell that on Russian tv?

Probably better to blame your own incompetence then make it appears as though your country is so un secured that terrorists can set off bombs in your cities.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Other than looking like it came from 40k I don’t think this is actually a terrible idea? Some military knowers want to weigh in?

I'm not a "military knower" but I know that your typical insurgent/militia forces have been putting this gun on a the bed of trucks for decades now. It's a big gun (50 something mm) that you can point and shoot at things to make them unalive. On a mobile platform. It's probably much better at hitting ground targets vs. Air targets since it's probably just aimed with whatever iron sights are on it. It's very primitive in 2023 but both the Russian and Ukrainian militaries are throwing everything they have at each other. Like we can laugh when Russia starts deploying ancient weapons like T55s in this war but we wouldn't be laughing if one of them was pointing it's gun at us and all we had was an AK47.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Some more news from the Discord leaks, this time kinda depressing news:

I don't think any serious person is expecting this war to last anything less than another year.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

photo from the afp of a soldier in the bakhmut area. the random thing that stood out to me is it seems like he's been issued an m16 (not a gun guy though, so ready to be corrected)

i know that small arms have been included in previous aid packages, but for some reason i kind of just assumed that ukraine had more than enough aks in storage to equip their army for years. this makes me curious if they're issuing western small arms because that's so much of the training is happening in europe, or if they're now heavily reliant on western supplies for another class of weapon

Theres tons of Ukrainian soldiers using AR pattern rifles. It seems like the foreign soldiers use them a lot too.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Popete posted:

I didn't notice they split helicopters and planes and are claiming 600+ shot down in total, yeah that's ridiculous.

Maybe they are throwing certain types of drones that are more aircraft-like (like Orlan drones) in with aircraft and the drone figure they cite is quadcopter type drones? Maybe? I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I find it odd that Russia has shot so many cruise missiles at Ukraine throughout this war but it never seems like they shoot any at the places where western Equipment gets brought in. Like I'm guessing it's not really a secret the locations on Polish/Ukrainian border where these transfers happen you'd think Russia would be hitting those places? Or is it because they fear accidentally hitting Polish territory?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Just a reminder that it's pretty well accepted that Putin was responsible for having some apartment buildings blown up in Russia a few decades ago to justify another war in Chechnya. And it was so poorly done that FSB agents were literally caught by the police planting bombs in one of the buildings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Russian_apartment_bombings

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
After seeing that video of the drones hitting the Kremlin am I the only that was reminded of the Roger Waters and Iron Maiden concerts where they would have a WW2 plane on a Zipline that would crash into the stage?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The new 6.8 caliber rounds and crazy auto aiming optics will probably go to special forces first. Especially the optics, they sound expensive as hell I can't imagine every soldier is going to eventually get issued with them? Although ACOG optics are expensive as hell too and it seems like drat near every soldier gets those (in the US military I mean).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So is Ukraine going to jury rig those storm shadow missiles to their Migs and Sukhois like they did with the HARM missiles?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Would storm shadows put Russian ships docked in Crimea at risk? And if so is there any real military benefit to sinking those ships or are there better targets to use the missiles on?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Don't military helicopters crash in training just sort of regularly anyway? But yeah, hopefully it's telling of poor equipment/maintenance.

Sometimes they crash when the pilot is simply showing off:
https://youtu.be/V3rR8OIkSpA

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lum_ posted:

it's not a real crisis until mini-batka is deployed

Is that the same son that went all tacticool spetsznatz wannabe during the 2020 protests? He's at least a teenager by now and I assume he's supposed to take over for Luka but is too young right now so if Luka dies any time soon I have no idea if anyone is waiting in the wings to take over.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
We can send all the patriot launchers to Ukraine that we want. The bigger question is how many missiles can be sent? It seems like Ukraine is already launching a lot of them I wonder how long it will be before they run out. And I wonder how many are built every year? Probably not a whole lot.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I did a little internet searching to get some number for how many patriot missiles are available. It seems like public info suggests quite a bit, like 10,000. But drat they're expensive, like 2-4 million a piece. But even crazier is apparently the full launcher setup for a patriot with all the command and radar equipment is over a billion a piece. And we only have something like 15 of them in total. So yeah if Russia takes one sure we can just "send another" but apparently we don't have many and a billion dollar loss is nothing to scoff at even if it's just US military krustybucks.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tigey posted:

Given how much emphasis Russia has seemingly placed on targeting it, and talking about it in their propaganda, Patriot has clear value over and above its military utility as a SAM system. It has political significance.

Russia loves its tit-for-tat, and the psychological fantasy of believing they are "only just a close second" to the US, and "more military advanced" in many ways. They are smarting from the fact their military has been humiliated, and its much vaunted new weapon systems like the Armata and Su-57 are now a laughing stock.

They REALLY want to be able to say that their new wunderwaffe missiles easily took out the best yankee defensive system, in order to give their propaganda some concrete material to work with - "See? We're still keeping up with the West!". Its also probably done with some vague long-term fantasy of exporting Kinzhal after the war.

Ukraine can and should take maximum advantage of this. Set up fake Patriot decoy sites near where the real thing is. Encourage Russia to spend its time, treasure and limited supplies of missiles trying to take out Patriot, rather than hitting other valuable targets like missile storage, ammo sites, fuel dumps, command centres, schools/hospitals, etc.

I think this war is basically the best training and Intel gathering operation that both the US and Russia could ever get for a war against each other. Russia is probably targeting the hell out of the patriot battery in Kyiv because they want to find out just how well their newest missiles do against it. Likewise, I'm sure the US wants to see how well the patriot can shoot down the newest Russian missiles. And for the US a lot of the Intel they gather in this war can translate to fighting China too since they have a lot of similar weapons systems.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Remember the guy who leaked documents for discord cred? Well, looks like discipline may be as bad as compartmentlization in there:
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1659162367823863809

He was also (surprise surprise) a racist, anti semitic, gun obsessed turbo chud even before joining the military. In fact he was so bad that he was worried that it would affect his ability to get a clearance when he joined the military. But nope they cleared him fine. But ya know if he was an evil weed smoker it would have been a whole different story.

I really hope the military understands the security risk they have now and does something to address it. This isn't like the cold war when a very small percentage of the population had sympathies for the communist cause. And an even smaller percentage of that population had access to classified information to pass on to the Russians. Now Russia is the leader of the right wing world and there's a huge percentage of the American population that has gone full fascist. And they also make up a sizeable amount of the military. If this Jack Texeria kid wasn't siphoning off Intel to the Russians (and there's no indication yet that he was) who's to say there isn't some other turbo chud in the military with top secret clearance that is?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

There’s not a lot of great options for a diplomatic visit on that route either. Where else do you stop? Turkey? Iraq? India? Pakistan?

Israel. I'm really surprised Zelensky chose to visit SA over Israel. Like yeah, go visit the horrible dictator that also invades it's neighbors over a country that has a defense system (iron dome) that you would probably really like to have defending your cities.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder if this "separatist" action in Belgorod will turn out to be a bad idea. Like I wonder if the Biden admin is pissed off at the Ukrainians right now. What if a bunch of Russian civilians get killed (unintentionally) in this operation ? I mean yeah a whole shitload of Ukrainian civilians have died in this war but Ukraine is supposed to be better than that.

Another crazy thing is im hearing nothing at all about this operation in the mainstream news outlets like CNN and WaPo.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So has Russia blamed NATO for the incursion into Belgorod yet

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

fizzy posted:

The New Yorker should be boycotted for trafficking in insidiously pro-Russian propaganda.

So this isn't a glowing story about (some parts of) the Ukrainian military but I don't think that necessarily makes it pro Russian propaganda.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a hard time believing the Ukrainian government didn't greenlight the raid into Belgorod and I can't see what the upside of it was. Like it feeds into every bullshit narrative Russia has been spewing since this war started and what exactly did it accomplish military?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

Russian soldiers are filming and publishing themselves executing POWs, impaling heads on stakes, beheading prisoners and using skull goblets as party props. That's what they are are showing us. Imagine what they are too ashamed to show.

I don't see why anyone would think Ukraine would stop fighting if support stopped. Surrendering isn't an option unless you think people should just stop resisting and voluntarily walk their family into the torture dungeon.

Kinda hard to keep fighting if your supply of weapons gets cut off. Which is a very real possibility if Trump or Desantis gets elected. Especially if we are in the midst of a massive recession from defaulting on the debt ceiling.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

DTurtle posted:

I didn't know that the US President also dictated foreign policy for the EU and all its individual member states.

Lol if you think Ukraine can sustain this war with only EU weapon contributions. The EU can barely arm itself.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

https://twitter.com/RandySF45/status/1662906986491674624

Some really bizarre stuff happening in Detroit. Lots of Eastern European immigrants live there, especially Polish.
My guess is she was steeped in pro Russia propaganda during those 2 years in Serbia. But she also must be mentally ill.

Somewhat on that topic, I wonder what things are like in areas of the US that are heavily Russian and Ukrainian? Is there any noticeable tensions?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I really have to question what value there is for Ukraine to drone strike civilian areas in Moscow. If anything it's probably just going to galvanize domestic support for Putin. If drone strikes on Kyiv aren't going to break the resolve of Ukrainian civilians I don't see how it would on civilians in Moscow.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

So should we expect drone attacks in Moscow to be a regular occurrence now, or only a once in a while scenario?

Like others have said, who the hell knows. However I think it's safe to say that if the drones were domestically produced in Ukraine then they probably don't have a whole lot of them. And if they were launched from within Russia (because of range limitations) then that's extremely risky for whoever is doing it so they probably won't be doing it too often.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I see that #oryxpsyop is now trending on Twitter. People are calling it a psyop because there’s no way that Russia could be losing that much military equipment. It’s obviously a psyop to boost support for Ukraine to make people think they’re winning the war instead of teetering on the brink of annihilation.

I have a feeling that #oryxpsyop is a... Psyop. I mean it's loving Twitter after all is there anyone left on there besides chuds and Russians.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
ERA is basically just bricks of C4 right? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that if it goes off .

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

A bit of a tangent, but the BitTorrent tracker RARBG shut down a few days ago and the war in Ukraine is cited as one of the reasons.

I mean if they knowingly employed Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine then gently caress em

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sir Lancelot posted:

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/retired-raaf-fighter-jets-could-be-sent-to-ukraine-20230605-p5de0h

I think that would be a pretty good haul for Ukraine if they can get their hands on the hornets. They would hopefully still be in reasonable condition. Plus the USA would have hundreds more that might also be at the end of their life as well.

I don't know anything about aircraft logistics. But wouldn't the logistics of maintaining F18s be even more difficult for Ukraine than F16s?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Australian retired F/A-18s are of such an old vintage that the USN doesn’t fly that type anymore at all.

I think they have a bunch at the boneyard in Tucson, Arizona. So maybe getting parts wouldn't be a big deal unless they need like brand new parts.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I honestly don't know how tanks survive at all on a modern battlefield with all the anti tank weapons available to the defender. Like it seems incredibly easy to hide something like a Fagot missile launcher in a bush and just plink tanks all day from long distance. If the defender has a lot of these weapons (and I'm sure the Russians do) how does an armored assault ever manage to break through? In the opening days of the Yom Kippur war, Israeli armor was totally decimated on the Sinai front by AT3 Sagger missiles. They eventually went on to win the war so I guess they figured out how to get around it though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The lovely thing about Ukraine losing things like Leopards and Bradley's is I don't think they really have that many. Like Russia has been losing tanks left and right but they had thousands to start off with. I think Ukraine had like 100ish Leopards? And probably isn't going to be getting many more. So any losses are really going to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I mean it's a modern conventional war of course there's going to be losses of valuable equipment like western tanks that's a given. I just hope the western allies have some kind of contingency plan if Ukraine loses a significant amount of equipment.