Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also isn't it, uh, rasputitsa? Rasputina appears to be an American band.

And I think the Ukrainian word is bezdorizhzia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Morrow posted:

Erdogan occupies the same peripheral role that Putin does, with two caveats: Turkey is nominally weaker than Russia but Turkey is also tied to the West militarily. This means he pursues a different strategy than Putin while being very comparable to him.

Balancing between NATO and Russia has been Erdogan's game for the whole war, since Turkey is benefitting from re-exporting western goods to Russia while cannibalizing bits of Russia's ME and Caucasus influence. It's why he's holding off on Sweden's NATO membership: it gives him a great bargaining chip. The dial has just moved a little bit more towards NATO as Putin weakens.

What I don't quite understand is how Sweden's Nato application is a better bargaining chip than Finland's. From a Russian perspective it seems like Finland is way more relevant than Sweden, what with the history and the border.

Is he holding up Sweden instead because our problems with for example islamophobia give him an excuse he lacks for Finland, or is he holding us up only because of that, with Russia not being a factor at all?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ynglaur posted:

Seems like a reasonable compromise. Erdogan gets to look big and tough, but (still) doesn't get F-35s. I'm happy for Sweden, and hope that Swedish goons itt (are there any?) are happy too.

It remains to be seen what we've given up or promised for this. From the very start Erdogan has been demanding a number of extraditions. I know one was approved, and several denied. Are those being looked at again? I hope not.

I've always been opposed to Sweden joining Nato, but that was somewhat premised on us actually being neutral. Our prior secret agreements with Nato and the secret defense pact with the US kind of ruin that idea, and then I guess we might as well be part officially.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Starsfan posted:

I've mentioned already that I don't place weight on pro Russian or pro Ukrainian OSINT analysis. I was asked to provide an example of criticism of the Oryx methodology, I searched and that twitter thread was what I came up with in the limited time that I had. You are correct that I didn't read through his twitter or references before providing the information outside of checking briefly if I could scroll back through his timeline to find the 5 analysis threads that he was basing his summary on and determining that he spewed out posts at a rate that made that impracticable

Don't follow either of those people lol.

Please post the actual source that convinced you of your absurd position, or don't post at all. Posting a terrible source and then saying "that's just what I found from a quick search" is crap. If you can't find a good source for your position, please consider not holding it, or at least don't go around claiming it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The Top G posted:

I didn’t make any of these claims, please refrain from appealing to the strawman fallacy.

I believe the democratic process is sacrosanct and should not be infringed upon. I think it’s concerning when the leader of a democratic country unilaterally decides to forego elections, and I think his western backers should keep a close eye on him.

Many are quick to excuse human rights violations and atrocities, justifying them in the name of war. To that, I say: enough! The people of Ukraine yearn for freedom from their oppressors, both foreign and domestic.

Do you find it concerning when the leader of a democratic country follows the law of the country? Because that seems to be what's happening here.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Almost all modern digital communication systems, especially wireless ones, are point to point encryption at minimum just for basic channel security. Most data streams are endpoint to endpoint encrypted, and I would expect additional security measures for military applications. You would be unlikely to meaningfully tap star link without musk being very in on it and both handing out starlink's private keys. Likely they are just jailbreaking(or getting under the table bypasses) for whatever hack job geo fencing musk uses to get more reliable communications.

I mean isn't starlink just internet? Musk, or anyone at starlink for that matter, doesn't have any keys that matter, any sane use case would encrypt the data before it touches a terminal.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I am not greatly worried about our government doing regressive things because of NATO/turkey pressure, but I am worried about our government doing regressive things because they are regressive racists, and using NATO/turkey as an excuse to spend less political capital/pretend they're less racist than the racist party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve read similar anecdotes that factory output was often measured in tons not units, so it was better as a factory manager to make 100 refrigerators that weighed 100kg each than to make 150 refrigerators weighing 50kg each. Then you could tell your boss you produced 10 tons of refrigerators instead of 7.5 tons and get promoted, or similarly just make the refrigerators you already make 10% heavier and boom you have an paper 10% increase in production.

I think the most famous story on this topic, which as far as I know is mostly true, is the nail factory that produced only the tiniest most useless nails to meet unit quotas. When this was noticed due to a shortage of actual useful nails, the quota was changed to weight instead, so they immediately started producing only the biggest, most useless nails.

Mission accomplished!