Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

BillsPhoenix posted:

Ukraine has been continually escalating.

There is nothing that Ukraine can do to "escalate" the situation. If they did the worst things imaginable, like rolling into a border town and brutalizing Russian civilians, they would simply be on par with what Russia has done and is doing. Ukraine cannot "escalate" a conflict in which Russia attempted to literally conquer them, while intentionally bombing civilians and infrastructure to do so. If Ukraine was able to roll into Moscow, that's just them doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually he's quite correct in his statement.

"Eighty-two years ago, Nazis murdered 34,000 Jews at Babyn Yar."

The first sentence is pretty unarguable.

"Soviets buried this history..."

Sadly the Soviets did intentionally bury the fact that the goal of the Holocaust was to kill Jews. This has been repeatedly discussed in the decades since by a wide number of commenters. It's not even controversial.

An article from Yad Vashem detailing Soviet government consistent opposition to memorials to slain Jews under Stalin:

https://www.yadvashem.org/articles/academic/holocaust-commemoration-under-stalin.html

An article from the Wilson Center on the conscious erasure of the centrality of Jews to the Holocaust

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/dont-learn-russians-about-the-holocaust

She quotes Elie Wiesel that "I have learned that the Holocaust was a unique and uniquely Jewish event, albeit with universal implications. Not all victims were Jews, but all Jews were victims.”

Her view on what the Soviets acted this way is quite plausible:

The Wikipedia article on "Babi Yar Memorials" (link) makes exactly the same points.

The Soviets deliberately and persistently buried the fact that the Holocaust was, as Elie Wiesel said, a "uniquely Jewish event". Only *after* the fall of the Soviet Union was it possible to put up a memorial at Babi Yar to the Jews slain there.

Ed: and we're not even *touching* the subject of Soviet anti-Semitism: "rootless cosmopolitans", Doctor's Plot, etc.

Also, regarding Blinken's use of the word "buried" - didn't the Soviets quite literally intentionally create a landslide in order to bury the ravine?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

OddObserver posted:

The landslide wasn't intentional, but was from a factory close enough to the site that it unearthed a lot of the victims.

And yes, they had to be shamed by courageous cultural leaders to build the memorial they eventually built, and that one was quite consistent with the Soviet policy of downplaying the Shoah.

According to this:

https://www.osw.waw.pl/en/publikacje/osw-commentary/2021-10-22/ukraines-disputes-over-80th-anniversary-babi-yar-massacre

The mudslide itself wasn't intentional, but the ravine was an industrial dumping site.

quote:

The total number of individuals buried there is estimated at around 100,000, with Jews accounting for the majority of them. The most recent chapter in the tragic history of this site – the so-called Kurenivka disaster – happened in 1961. In an attempt to erase the memory of the crimes perpetrated there, the Soviet authorities repeatedly dumped industrial waste from the near-by brick factory in the Babi Yar ravine, which resulted in a disastrous mudslide that killed 1,500 city residents.

My assumption is that intentionally dumping industrial waste into the ravine served a political purpose and was not selected just because.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Oh wow there's actual video of protesters of cops hauling people away for having a sit-in to protest the war

Are they protesting the war? Why are they at Biden's office and not at their nearest Russian embassy?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

They're protesting Bernie's decision to support more funding for the war because he is their senator. [/url]

Bernie supports "more funding for the war"? As in, Bernie is funding Russia? I don't understand what you mean. The only relevant funding that I see Bernie supporting is Ukraine's defense against the war.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's the funding they were protesting, Bernie voting to arm Ukraine in its fight against the Russian invasion, I don't understand what's not clear, they had signs and everything.

I'm just confused because you framed the funding as "support for the war," and since Russia and only Russia is waging war, it sounded like Bernie was funding the Russian army.

So why is Codepink protesting funding Ukraine defending itself from invasion and genocide?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I'm reading up on the Minsk-2 agreement from 2015... and am I reading this right? Russia and Ukraine were two of the signing parties, then the rebel Republic's leaders were added later, and Russia then claimed not to be a "party" to the agreement because they were still pretending that they were not participants in the war? In what world could it ever have been legitimate?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah it's funny as poo poo, people genuinely expected Ukraine to go along with the agreement while Russia has troops in Ukranian territory. You must run legislative elections in territories that have russian troops at the polling stations and then give these legislators veto power over your foreign policy.

Could you explain? By "regions," I assume you mean the rebel-held areas. Why would they have veto power? Is that in the agreement? Or is veto power something that all "governors" or leaders of various Ukrainian regions have via the Constitution?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1717738123893817350
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2023.2269685
Large thread and link suggesting that Euromaiden in 2014 really were behind the sniper attacks. I don't know who Ivan Katchanovski is but his twitter feed does not fill me with confidence that he's a neutral party.

Regarding this, I've seen Katchanovski popping up recently, probably due to the culmination of some trials re Maidan in Kiev. I assume that the "media silence" about the "findings" that he describes is due to the findings not actually supporting his conclusions. Reading through his Twitter feed, he seems to be an academic that went off the deep end at some point.

What is this journal? How trustworthy is it? What's the manner of peer review for a publication like this?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

What about the trial verdict that he's claiming corroborates the Maidan conspiracy theory?

Is there any place where I can read an analysis of this, preferably in English?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Kchama posted:

Everyone was distracted so nobody answered, but he just plain made poo poo up. There's literally zero validity to his nonsense. The long story short was, one guy was acquitted, and the rest were sent to jail for their role in the murders. He mentions the acquittal but completely neglects to mention the many convictions.

Thanks. This is exactly my reading of it as well but it just seemed so stupid, that the one acquittal was being read as "we don't know what's going on and who the snipers were!" when several policemen were already convicted.

Can it really be this stupid? How do people fall for this?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

daslog posted:

Many months ago, I posted in this thread that I was opposed to the USA funding another forever war without at least raising taxes to pay for the cost I would summarize the response I got as follows: Daslog you are an idiot, deficits don't matter and this is not a forever war and Ukraine can win.

I still haven't changed my position, but it looks to me that Russia is executing on their traditional was strategy of lose, lose, lose, lose, and then win by exhaustion while absorbing enormous casualties that screw themselves up for generations.

Now I'm not nearly as close to the conflict as many of you goons are, but I still don't see how Russia loses outside of a bullet in the Kremlin.

Actually, Russia's original strategy was to take Ukraine in a week. Failing that and suffering their greatest humiliation since the post-Soviet collapse, complete with sanctions out the rear end and a military that's seen as weak and incompetent, Russia was forced to enter a drawn-out war in which its soldiers don't want to fight but Ukraine wants to defend itself. At this point, this is simply a conflict to save face. It seems pretty clear that even if Russia manages to break through, the village-to-village and urban fighting would be insurmountable for them. Some pro-Russia commentators thought they'd be seeing a Grozny with its 1m population and nonexistent military. Instead, they're getting an Afghanistan and Vietnam but with the full support of the West.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Is there a consensus about how the Russian economy is doing now and in the medium-term?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

The biggest issue with any sort of negotiations or peace deals with Russia is that they have zero credibility. So even if Ukraine, today, decided to just let Russia have all the stolen territory in order to get a cease fire, there's basically no actual guarantee that Russia wouldn't just continue the invasion later on.

Could you elaborate on this? What are some examples of Russia's lack of credibility besides the obvious ("little green men, not Russian soldiers in Crimea," "we're not attacking during the 2021 buildup," etc.)?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

small butter posted:

Could you elaborate on this? What are some examples of Russia's lack of credibility besides the obvious ("little green men, not Russian soldiers in Crimea," "we're not attacking during the 2021 buildup," etc.)?

Just chiming in to say that I wasn't trolling and received good responses to this question. I'm not very familiar with Russia's history beyond the obvious belligerence that's been reported and that we've all witnessed. Not sure what prompted this probe.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Morrow posted:

It's also hard to point to unpreparedness being a result of a genuine sabotage effort when the Ukrainian government was doing everything it could to downplay the invasion until Russian tanks ran over the border posts.

Why were they doing this, anyway? I remember arguing with people during the buildup and saying that Russia will definitely attack and they were saying that not even Ukraine says they will.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Back Hack posted:

The funny thing with France is that they were so smug about how Russia wasn't going to invade because they signed a peace-agreement with Russia that guarantee Russia wouldn't invade Europe, a couple of days before they did. What fools.

What is this peace agreement? Was it a treaty?

Did Russia try to justify the breaking of the agreement by saying that "Ukraine isn't Europe" or something?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Macron visited Russia between 2 and 3 weeks prior to Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine. The main points of discussion were on easing tensions and trying to come to agreements on disputes regarding the Minsk and Minsk II accords. The text of these agreements from 2014 and 2015 were vague, so it was very easy for either Ukraine or Russia to point to portions that they thought the other side was still violating. For example, the Minsk accords called (with no timeline) for elections to let Donetsk and Luhansk vote on self-governance, rather than being part of Ukraine proper. Ukraine argued that these elections could never proceed as long as separatists controlled the government there (and election proceedings), and the accords didn't specify a timeline. Russia argued that Ukraine was welching on the deal by refusing to hold the elections. Another example was that the accords called for heavy weaponry and foreign fighters to be withdrawn from the area to create a buffer zone, and Russia simply said they had no troops nor heavy equipment in the Donbass, despite evidence to the contrary. Other agreements included an immediate ceasefire, which led to arguments between Russia, Ukraine, and separatists on who was responsible or how severe breaches in the ceasefire were.

Both Minsk and Minsk II were considered complicated and fragile and open to interpretation, even at the time of their signing. Some of the pro-Ukrainian militias as well as separatist groups immediately announced that the agreement didn't mean anything to them back in 2015. While the US would make the case that Ukraine did some of the measures and Russia acted on almost none, any objective viewer would see that regardless of who was "more" in the wrong, the totality of the Minsk II agreements never came to pass. And occasionally, Russia would say they had nothing to do with Minsk II, because it was an agreement between non-Russian separatists and Ukraine, so not even a Russian issue, etc.

After Macron visited Moscow in February of 2022, he was somewhat hopeful, but it was still reported both by Russia and France as being tense and with outstanding agreements to be made if they were to avoid conflict.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/europe/ukraine-russia-news-monday-intl/index.html

Reporting following the meeting from France24:

Russia launched the February of 2022 invasion over two weeks later.

Excellent, thanks for this.

Edit: what did Macron and Russia sign? Is there a name for these documents?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think they signed anything in February of 2022, just talks and discussions. And the Minsk II agreements of 2015 were signed by a pro-Russian separatist leader, a Swiss diplomat (in role as OSCE representation), the former president of Ukraine, and the Russian ambassador to Ukraine.

And Minsk 2 is the agreement in which Russia was pretending to not be a party to (wink) even though they officially were, correct?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

If you take the ~300k casualty figures at face value, that's 0.2% of Russia's population, or one in 500. Most of those are wounded rather than killed, so depending on the kill ratio that means the (likely under) reported death toll from covid is 3 to 4 times higher than the toll from the war in Ukraine. Given Russia's demographics 0.2% is enough to cause some problems over the very long term, but those issues will take years to really show up. These aren't the kind of numbers that would trigger any widespread catastrophe in the short term, so I'm not sure why the lack of widespread catastrophe would be a reason to doubt them.

COVID typically killed the old and frail, not the young. There's even more maimed soldiers than dead ones who have to be taken care of for the rest of their lives, and even more soldiers separated from their families and everything that this entails. It's not a very good comparison.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

There just isn’t enough of the good stuff left to do it. It’s time to stop huffing the copium and face facts. Ukraine is losing this conflict. small tactical victories are not changing the fact that Russia has fought wars of attrition for its entire history and has always won them. It will win one against Ukraine too and the west has only itself to blame for it.

What would a loss look like in your view? What would a win look like?

Because it looks like the original Ukrainian "win," something that seemed like a miracle at the time, was Russia getting beat back and unable to capture Kyiv and do regime change.

What's the possibility in your view of Russia being able to capture Kyiv and implement regime change?

Also, what was the last war of attrition that Russia won against a formidable adversary? Seems like they really bit off more than they can chew with Ukraine.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I don't want to sound loony, but is it possible that:

1. If Russia is able to advance on Ukraine, the US and/or coalition partners intervene military in an obvious way?

2. What about in secret? Blowing poo poo up via hacking, or with physical covert teams, etc.? ("What, that's not our planes, and it's Little Green Men flying them.")

3. The US sends money/equipment to Ukraine without congressional approval. Is there any avenue for this?

The reason I ask is that it just seems like Ukraine falling or capitulating would be a terrible consequence for the West and especially Europe. I imagine a lot of State Department and Defense folks would not like to sit idly by during such an event.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Do all military operations need Congressional approval? I imagine that the US does a lot of poo poo that Congress does not necessarily know about until inquired about after the fact. For example, I'm not sure whether Congress approved the US causing an internet blackout in North Korea at the end of 2014.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for this (and everyone else posting).

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve been thinking about something in the context of “ceasefire” suggestion.

There isn’t any credible talk possible until after the US presidential elections. For all the rhetoric around the failure of the recent bill to pass, it is extremely unlikely that US military aid actually stops. It’s like the debt ceiling, a game played by the GOP to extract anything they can, but one they eventually blink on. The only way it actually stops is a Trump win.

Everything before that is meant to confuse and obfuscate. Europe has about a year to prep and ramp up to make up for a bad potential outcome, if the election go the wrong way.

Do you think that the Republicans will cave and pass a bill without Democratic concessions on the border?

Also, let me just point out the GOP's incessant "compromise" bullshit. They do it with the debt ceiling, they are doing it with Ukraine. Has any reporter asked them what they're giving to the Democrats specifically in order to meet the definition of "compromise"? Because the debt ceiling is not a Democratic priority like Medicaid funding or whatever and neither is Ukraine. Both sides understand the importance of both and actually agree on both. I realize that all of this is a way to extract concessions when you're out of power, but Democrats don't dick around with national priorities like this. I never see this get called out in any substantial way

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

surely you cannot be claiming that concentration camp prisoners lashing out at those around the concentration camp in any way justifies israel's genocidal campaign?

But you're justifying Hamas" brutal attack by saying that they were merely "lashing out." The Hamas attack was on civilians, sometimes even babies, and involved gang rape and mutilating women in front of them. Whatever terrible poo poo Israel has done does not justify anyone killing innocent people that have nothing to do with it.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Kalit posted:

Kind of ironic, considering you stated it's an impossible "war" (i.e. attempted genocide) for Ukraine to "win" (i.e. survive) early on:

And yet....

I just visited that quote in whatever the gently caress thread that was talking about the start of the war and... What vile, sociopathic poo poo was written there. Ukrainian government buildings that were destroyed being called "rat dens," pretending as if Ukrainian people didn't themselves have the will to fight and that this was all a Western plot as if Ukrainians don't even exist. Imagine flipping that around and calling Palestinians such things or pretending that their will is just Iran's will.

Just vile.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

When the Democrats held the House, could they have appropriated money that could have been tapped in every year? For example, instead of $100b in two packages or whatever we did that had to pass the House every time, what about $200b that could be tapped in at any time from the executive as needed? Is this legal? Was there simply no will to do it because the amount is too high and we didn't know how Ukraine would fare?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for that explanation.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Is there any weapon short of the Chronosphere that could be a complete game changer if Ukraine gets their hands on it?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

haddedam posted:

True 5th gen like f35 would help Ukraine conduct air operations with complete impunity as russia lacks the technology to target them.

Air superiority would end the conflict way faster since all the equipment we donate already assumes they are being used under air superiority.

And I see that F35s are not even in consideration for Ukraine.

This is such a half-assed endeavor (which actually highlights how weak Russia really is).

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Russia has proven itself so weak that Poland by itself intervening in the Ukraine war would win it outright. Eastern Europe won't have to do anything.

This is the one thought I keep having.

Russia is in a much worse position now than they were before the war. One reason is that they showed themselves to be a very weak militarily. They used to be known as the second most powerful military in the world but I doubt too many people believe that now. They must understand this as well. I just see any NATO country entering the war and just destroying Russia.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think maybe small butter is exaggerating for comedic effect, not that Luxembourg is thinking of taking Russia's Third Rome title.

What I meant was if almost any NATO country enters the war on Ukraine's side, not necessarily by itself without a drawn-out war already happening. I feel like a nudge like that would be devastating to Russia.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Speaking of support for Ukraine, isn't there a bill that's being forced in the House that Johnson can't stop? What's going on with that? How good are the chances that Ukraine funding gets passed like this?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

DTurtle posted:

The discharge petition for the Senate package was formally introduced in the House on Thursday and has received the support of 177 out of 218 Representatives needed. A second discharge petition for a bill including border stuff was also introduced and has received the support of 14 Representatives so far.

The last succesful discharge petition was in 2015. However, if it gets enough support, Johnson might just give up and formally bring the vote to the floor without the discharge petition being officially successful.

Just 177? Why wouldn't all Democrats be on board?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Israel funding.

Thanks. I thought that the discharge petition was just for Ukraine. Should have been that way and I think at least a handful of Republicans would have been on board.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

The first ammunition shipment will come "before June"? Why not all the shipments, and why not faster? Why does this take so long?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Biden has bypassed Congress many times to sell weapons to Israel. Why can't he do this for Ukraine? Is it because Ukraine typically receives grants and Israel gets sales?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for the explanations.

What do you mean by these two statements?

Deteriorata posted:

As long as they're paying cash, they're going to get what they want. It would take an act of Congress to cut them off at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Interesting. Do you have a source on this? I've definitely heard things like "Biden can stop weapons sales to Israel unilaterally" from experts on places like NPR and others.

Sorry, off topic from Ukraine at this point, I know.