Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FAAStaffing.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Driving a submarine in the Baltic must be some kind of living loving nightmare. Shallow, turbulent, and wired for sound.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The MLRS/HIMARS system and family of ordnance is the late-cold war US Army looking at Russia’s infatuation with rocket artillery, and saying “hey, hold my beer.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Assuming the ~1200km ferry range number is roughly accurate, be inclined to go with the ~250km estimate for combat radius, keeping in mind that a “combat radius” is an extremely flexible term. Weather conditions and the combat load can dramatically impact both theoretical (range vs fuel load) and practical (once you go around artillery firing areas, avoid the weather, and maneuver to avoid known enemy air defense assets) range, but you also don’t always have to go with a WWIII weapon load to be effective. We’ve already seen Ka-52s at or near the battlefield (including a shoot-down or two) carrying external tanks on the inboard pylons. There is also the unconfirmed reports that the -52 isn’t particularly happy with a full combat load, and that they were encountering significant harmonic vibration issues when they were loaded for bear.

TLDR: Don’t take a combat radius number as anything more than a very vague estimate; There are far too many variables at play.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sebastian Flyte posted:

No, I believe the vessel followed standard operating procedure and quickly and effectively managed to contain and extinguish the fire by sinking to the bottom of the harbour.

Good news: Fire is out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TropicalCoke posted:

On asset freezes.

It would likely take an Act of Congress to effect a Seizure of any asset freeze. Asset freezes are constitutional under the 5th Amendment because Courts do not recognize it as a deprivation since they are temporary in nature. Congress has the power to regulate captures under the Constitution, but usually Acts related to allocating seizures are a result of Treaties made by the President such as the Iranian Claims Tribunal (which still exists) set up by the Carter Administration. There are examples of Congress allocating specific accounts to victims compensation, such as the victims of the Beirut bombing. See Bank Markazi. However. USA isn't at war with Russia, and unclear how those captures would be recognized.
The stickier issue would be the Takings clause claim that there would be no just compensation for a taking. Asset freezes and other sanctions usually do not meet the definitional standard of a Taking for similar reasons to the 5th Due Process claims. And whether it would be enough for a Russian national who was sanctioned to be able to claim that he has standing to sue, whether that individual has sufficient contacts to make a claim if not a citizen.
Courts generally give extreme deference to the President and OFAC on individual sanctions efforts. I am broadly unfamiliar with any freeze that has ultimately led to an outright taking, as an extant example. This would represent a dramatic shift in sanctions and international law.

In Europe, it is a bit more difficult since Europe's convention on human rights recognizes a right to enjoy property. See Al-Dulimi. And each Member State of the EU implements their own sanctions programs in accordance with whatever sanction is passed by the Community.

I am unfamiliar with UK and Japanese sanctions regimes and their laws related to Due process.

The breadth of goon knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ranbo das posted:

…Russia losing a boat to something CIWS should be effective against (a jetski with explosives on top)

I agree with you in the broad strokes, but this is pretty definitively NOT what CIWS is for.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Has anyone made a tasteless No Russian joke yet? Because I’m here to make a tasteless No Russian joke.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I chose to believe that the “EW equipment” on the roof of Castle Blyat is just a rack of looted PA speakers blasting hardbass.