Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pretty sure there are none that can lol

Grains or salt for everyone!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vietnam was like ~60k US KIA I think

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Has there been any test footage of 6.8 vs Level IV? Im kind of pessimistic from what Ive heard, tbh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wow, wasnt expecting to see MALD used

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

>>> "For 224 days the operation to take Bakhmut lasted - the 'Bakhmut shelless meat grinder. It began on October 8, 2022, to give the battered Russian army a chance to come to its senses by giving us shells. For 224 days the guys stormed that city. There was only PMC Wagner, there were no shells, there was no airborne forces and anyone else who could help us with shells, as Konashenkov said. We were helping ourselves, but not to shells," said the head of the PMC "Vagner" Prigozhin.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Curious if they mean the hull and turret, or just the actual glacis. I know the drivers port is a weakened zone, but that'd be surprising.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The big boppers...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The thermal camouflage being actually effective is a big concern for the new tanks in the coming offensive I imagine

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Only that statement so far, from what ive seen

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A few images of KO'd Leopard 2 on Twitter now. On Russian accounts so idk if authentic, but plausible.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1665735979427037184

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mon dieu. ......

Def plausible, ty for correction

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 5, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You can make a lot of arguments, but idk if blaming the invaded country would gain as much traction

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Digiwizzard posted:

It looks like the Ukraine counter-offensive is going extremely badly.

yeah im in tears

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looks like "the spot" may have been captured by Russians. Skepticism is merited of course.

Theres vid of guy walking around area too with the vehicles in background.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

dumby posted:

y'all saying these are tractors?
https://t.me/Slavyangrad/49966

No

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chalks posted:

Good lord their optics are trash, no wonder they can't tell a tractor from a tank.

This looks to be a different location from what was shown in the drone footage (much flatter and no hedgerows) but does seem to be a strike against a tank (????). Elsewhere on the front, possibly more recent given that I've not seen this on twitter yet?

Its the same group as shown a bunch today.

Its actually interesting comparing the image there and missile flight time vs the tractor vid. Tractor was closer presumably but quality is worse, vs there where its further away yet better. Ambient atmospheric conditions presumably are a big factor illustrated in comparing and how they effect thermal imaging.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

dumby posted:

Got it from this guy: https://twitter.com/imetatronink Obvs he's pro Russia (more anti-US), but one of the more neutral observers I've found. So much of the infosphere on this is just straight propaganda from both sides.

"The Ukrainians are apparently determined to continue feeding their men and NATO's armor into this new Zaporozhye meat-grinder. And, as widely predicted by many, neither the German Leopard 2A6 nor the American M2 Bradleys are a match for Russian firepower. This is a massacre."

Buddy, if this is what a neutral viewer looks like.......

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Strelkov bides his time...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MikeC is MikeCorrect imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A big "16" on your radar warning receiver can be a dece deterrent too for helis

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eh, def newer stuff in there too

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Or Putin calls any vehicle with some armour a tank.

thinking exactly this

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cicero posted:

Seems to be a thing that the Russian military overstates capabilities, while Western militaries understate if anything.

Def not a safe assumption to make

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dregs, huh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

decoys are prob way to go. "Make them turn on their AA so we can locate and shoot it" is like over a half century old as a tactic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheRat posted:

Isn't anti air notoriously hard to decoy because of the radiation emitted?

Nah you can just use microwaves.

Trust me. A Serb told me once.

Yeah it is

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He could just be an internet cretin tbh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

that guy... was me...

drat...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chalks posted:

Here's a fascinating video claiming to be footage of Russians attempting to shoot down a Storm Shadow. Looks like they fire two missiles but can't hit it.

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1671965086959673357

Has anyone seen anything about why Russian AD systems have such trouble with this and HIMARS? When the Patriot batteries shot down Russian Kinzhals there were lots of people saying it doesn't matter how fast a missile goes as long as your interceptor can get there first. The Storm Shadow in this footage doesn't seem to have any countermeasures or do any sort of apparent evasion, so why do the Russians have such trouble with it?

Flies much lower and is presumably significantly harder to detect on radar so more difficult to react. Those engagements were pretty drat close.

Id imagine 1 was intercepted, 1 hit bridge. Versus a top-tier SHORAD system thats a very good result.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lukashenko looking... less isolated!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any Slonik?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shoigu claiming big countetattack underway, says its progressed 1.5km in depth, 2km in width.

https://twitter.com/mylordbebo/status/1678806638411513864?s=46&t=zM8WL3IBOgX2I1IgRVSx_w

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Turkiye

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How do you keep current capabilities when you donated a ton of your tanks etc?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

C-RAM going C-HAM there

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Exactly that imo. Pantsir etc are unreliable vs missiles but will shut down an Apache group

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

APKWS for plinking designated targets via rocket could be useful, but then youd need an expendable drone capable of designating for a heli with a comparatively short range and at that point you can just drop a GMLRS round on it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

Nope. Ka-52 is the best rotary wing platform available to them specifically because it doesn't have to do that, and can fire ATGMs instead. It's lovely compared to an Apache because it has to hover in place when doing that, but it's still a pretty nice capability.

It's what caused the loss of the few leos and bradleys that we got 400 different views of.

KA-52 has some interesting longish range weapon too which I forgot the name of. Like 15km or so. Cant carry as many as Vikhr though. Surprised US never went for something Brimstone-tier for range, but meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hundreds?