Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bremen posted:

Honestly every time I see things like this I wonder what would happen in a full on modern conflict between two high tech major industrial powers and it kind of boggles the mind. Like, imagine how many of those things the US or China could churn out if they were 100% committed.

"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

I imagine the first casualty will be the internet/telecommunications.

Then we're back to WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Delthalaz posted:

Considering the equivalent of the Pentagon would be in Moscow, isn’t this more like a regional military HQ in Atlanta or something?

Sorta like Fort Sumter

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My wife's (Polish) family makes white borscht, no dill, no beets. Fresh kielbasa that's boiled up; the resulting broth is the base, the cooked kielbasa is sliced up in it, along with a bunch of boiled eggs and sauerkraut. Tasty with a good seeded rye.

But czernina can gently caress right off. poo poo's nasty.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

WarpedLichen posted:

Trying to change the topic from speculation.

Russians painting decoys in their airbases. Probably due to pressure from Ukrainian strikes? I can't see this disguising anything operationally.

https://nitter.net/bradyafr/status/1682354735473655810#m

They should drop bags of red paint on them

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FuturePastNow posted:

"pyrotechnics" is a large word that contains multitudes

Ja, that was my take as well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, obviously Putin placed a gigantic array of smoke generators the entire miles-long length of the bridge

And here I though the entire stock of Soviet Trabants had been mulched and/or sold to credulous Westerners by now

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Scratch Monkey posted:

I wonder how far Switzerland will go to enforce that. Check serial numbers?

Every single tree in Switzerland is numbered. They absolutely will do this.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was wondering if it’s this ^^^ and also that “globalists” control the media.

Cutting both ways! So clever!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Volmarias posted:

It's awe inspiring, to be sure, but doesn't answer the question of "did American shells at the outbreak of WWII need to sit 6 months for curing explosives, and if not how long did they have to take, if at all?"

Which, honestly, I'm curious about too just for the sake of curiosity. Is it just because we use newer, safer explosive compounds? Was the fact that the shells were going to be used near immediately mean that they didn't need to worry about stability as much? Was there just inherent risk that was overlooked for expediency? I would like to know more!

IIRC probably; the US began moving towards a war production footing by at least 1939-40.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok first of all :stonk:

Second of all. Why in the everloving gently caress did he get Nicky 2? The worst Tsar by every conceivable metric, his incompetence directly responsible for the Revolution and thus indirectly responsible for all the geopolitics that emerged as a result

"What a great tat of KIng George V!"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I don't know what it's called, but my polling place (Gloucester County, New Jersey) uses a system with both a touch screen & a paper ballot.

At registration sign-in, they hand you a paper ballot/form. (note: In 32-years, have never seen them ask for ID)

In the booth, there is a 30" touchscreen and a printer in a metal box to the right of it. You insert your paper ballot in the printer box, which has a window.

You make your selections on the touchscreen. Your selection changes the colour of the field the selected name is in, so it's easy to see your choices.

When you are sure, you hit the large, lighted, CAST BALLOT button on the touchscreen. This prints your selections on the paper ballot, where you can review the print-out through the window.

If the printed ballot accurately reflects your choices, you hit a mechanical VOTE button, which is not part of the touchscreen, and the ballot gets sucked away & filed.

If it is wrong, you call over a poll worker, who will remove the paper ballot while you watch (which resets the touchscreen), destroys it in full view, and takes you back to the table and issues you a new one.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 17, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

On March 7, the State Dept did issue a warning to anyone in Moscow to avoid crowds & gatherings, and specifically named 'concert venues' as targets. It was a 48-hour warning.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ynglaur posted:

Really? Don't post videos of a bunch of civilians getting murdered. FFS

I sense that the question was directed more at undermining Putin's outrageous/dangerous bullshit than actually wanting to watch it.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 24, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Isn't it good
Illegal wood

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nenonen posted:

Russian air forces accidentally dropped a FAB-1500 on a shop in their occupied area :stonk:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1777638755484021095

Had it detonated, there would be nothing left of that building but a crater. I don't know if it's wise to stand in the doorway filming it or not?

Might as well, it's anyone's guess if you could get far enough away before it randomly detonates.

Your point is well-taken, though: That is too many people being too damned casual around the probable cause of their imminent death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

small butter posted:

This is what I thought as well.

Are these bills getting combined?

They broke them up for the vote, for the reasons already noted. They’re being re-combined into one bill for the Senate. One vote there. It’ll pass.