Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sekenr posted:

Belarus rant incoming. I tried to to get back into dating, browse Tinder. What blows my mind is occasional profiles that I see with description such as "all is wonderful, life is amazing". How the gently caress can you possibly feel so well when we participate in the biggest crime of our lifetimes and your countrymen and women are arrested daily.

I think I am becoming severely depressed. I have almost stopped eating. A cup of coffee and 2 sandwitches is my only meal per day for the last 6 day. I only just realized that

The majority of people in my experience, simply want to live their lives and not think about anything that’s uncomfortable. Being complicit to war crimes and attempted genocide is pretty uncomfortable to think about if your life is otherwise not impacted.

That you care at all is a credit to you. I’m sorry that you’re in that position. I think the goon above me has a good idea — talking about it with people who understand might help. Otherwise, try and find joy where you can or if you’re so inclined, take whatever small action you can take to press against the apathy you’re seeing.

Godspeed, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ummel posted:

Just look at Florida currently. It's not about a war, but Florida's textbooks are rewriting civil rights as polite disagreements that white people graciously bestowed upon minorities.

Wife is a teacher.

It’s uh… bleak.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

USMC is part of the USN, but yeah. C/D Hornets, not the Super Hornet, which is a substantially different airplane.

Yeah, I only learned this year that the super hornet is like 30% bigger than the regular hornet

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

IR always seems to have an Economics feel to me. Trying to rationalize or quantify what are human systems made up of inconsistent and irrational actors with any degree of accuracy is fundamentally impossible without taking the motivations of the decision making humans into account.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Who was ready for Russian MIC to use child labor?

https://zona.media/news/2023/07/24/alabuga

jesus loving christ

For my own sanity I’m going to say that I don’t believe this until I see it reported by a major outlet

but it probably happened because 2020 never ends :(

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

the gamerfication of war is really something.

The funny thing is that good UI is good UI regardless if it’s Elden Ring or the newest drone. There’s been 40 something years of development of video game controllers. Your soldiers grew up with video game controllers, so it makes sense to use something familiar and effective.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

daslog posted:

At the risk of getting probated again, I've been reflecting on our previous discussion and settle on a position that I can be comfortable with. I strongly believe that if the USA is going to fund what can potentially be another forever war, then we need to be willing to pay for it up front and not take on more debt.

Therefore, I would only support additional funding for Ukraine if we pass a tax increase to pay for it. Ideally, a 10% surtax on incomes over 500,000 a year.

Another forever war? Our previous wars were occupations and absolutely nothing like this.

From a realpolitik angle, We’re helping a country defend themselves and hurting our number one geopolitical adversary for pennies on the dollar with no blood cost to ourselves.

From a moral angle, we’re actually doing good and helping people who 1) want our help and 2) were being subjected to a genocide.

Who gives a poo poo about another $10 billion versus that (though taxing the wealthy is always a good idea, agreed)?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

daslog posted:

The Ukrainians wouldy last long if the US cut them off from supplies.

It would hurt, but I doubt it would impact the will to fight.

Helping people defend themselves from aggressors (assuming that they want the help) is a moral imperative. I’m happy to see the US doing some good for once in this millennium, even if it is based in self interest and perpetuation of the MIC.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

poo poo happens in war but that doesn't give you a free pass to make that poo poo happen

Exactly. Intentionality does matter if for no other reason than lowering the bar for it or something like it to happen again.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Noobicide posted:

Ukraine is defending itself against a war of extermination. Nothing is off limits...

Agreed to your first point. To your second point: You really, really want a lot of things to be off limits. Posting this might ease that sense of helplessness you might feel while looking at the war, or might make you feel better, but this path leads to Russia and a whole lot of dead people who’s only sin was existing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It’s not a path we want Ukraine (or any country) to go down if they don’t have to. The “if they don’t have to” is the load bearing bit of the sentence there.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

It's was a war crime, amoral and a terrible thing to do. It's also naive to think any government in Ukraines position wouldn't do the same and much worse. Russia itself does worse in peacetime ie chemical weapons assasinations just for shits and giggles.

This is a fair take.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think russia does. i think russia has enough to keep making dumb rounds for a while and enough poor fucks and penal psychos in the outter empire to flush away. my view is i think its possible for russia to collapse but when/if it happens, its gonna feel sudden as hell.

The collapse of the Soviet Union went like you say here, who knows. We can hope.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Long as the MIC is raking in money I don’t see support meaningfully drying up

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Kchama posted:

70% is awfully impressive when the unaccounted-for rate is only 5%.

And what’s far more likely is Occam’s razor: that it just got used. The logistics for smuggling weapons, especially of the sort that Ukraine is receiving is not easy. I’d need to see real hard evidence to believe that munitions are disappearing in any statistically meaningful quantity.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Name Change posted:

I tend to think about how many times western intelligence agencies were embarrassed during just the Cold War by their own actions or their counterparts and how much good they ultimately did even when working as intended, and question if we've ever had a competitive or even effective intelligence apparatus.

Well, let’s form an intelligence agency with a bunch of Nazis and see how they do

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

DTurtle posted:

Such a complete waste of time, effort, money, and Ukrainian lives.

Pretty much sums it up.

And how the poo poo isn’t Gaetz in jail.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

Only an empty-headed person could be persuaded to die for their country. I'd also nope the gently caress out of there if my country was under attack and I was in danger of being drafted. Especially to frontlines like the ones in Ukraine.

BabyFur Denny posted:

A country that I'm neither a citizen nor a permanent resident of, that would kick me out the moment I lose my job? Seriously?

I’m glad that you’re in a position to pick up and move to another country.

That doesn’t mean that people who care about the people in their hypothetical attacked country (and want to do their part to protect them) are “empty headed.”

Protecting people you care about it as noble a cause as it gets. Yeah, war is loving dumb and terrible and you could immediately die from any number of things in it arbitrarily.

But making GBS threads on people fighting for what they care about while posting with a nihilist tone feels way off and makes me feel… poo poo I don’t know… Sadness(?) that there aren’t people important enough to you to fight for but that you also think that people who DO choose to fight are empty headed because they do have people they care about protecting.

If any of this came off as smarmy, that wasn’t my intent and maybe I’m reading more nihilism into your post than is really there. But with all sincerity it just made me feel some sort of sad feeling for you that you don’t have people worth fighting for to the point that you can’t understand why people would make the choice to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Putin could also live another 20 years

Aside from the inherent dangers of his office, he seems to have much better health habits than a typical 70-year old. I'm not sure what that would mean.

He could also find Kissinger’s phylactery and live another forty years