Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Infidel Castro posted:

Suppose I can give my take on the Minnesota Twins

Television Team: Dick Bremer & Justin Morneau

Dick Bremer is synonymous with Twins TV. This is Dick's 40th season with the team as play-by-play announcer. He's a Minnesota native and it shows, but in a very endearing way. I'm not gonna say he's an all time legendary broadcaster, but he's good at his job, shows support for the Twins while not being an outright homer, and follows the game pretty well.

Former Twins 1B Justin Morneau is his most common broadcast partner. Justin's a bit dry and isn't very excitable, but he's very insightful in his color commentary. It's an extra bonus if Glen Perkins (former Twins closer) is in the booth as they're great at analyzingv the game from different perspectives.

Radio Team: Corey Provus and Dan Gladden

Corey Provus is great. He's been the Radio play by play guy since 2012 after having worked with Bob Uecker in Milwaukee (which was the best radio team the Brewers ever had, in my opinion). His announcing is full of excitement when needed, subdued when not. His time with Uecker also shows, as he's very good at the banter with his broadcast partner as well.

Dan Gladden, on the other hand, isn't very good at all. He'd be fine if he was just a color guy, but his play by play (which he does for the 4th - 6th innings) is terrible. The Twins could hit a grand slam and he'd call it like it was a routine fly out. Thankfully with the broadcast overlays on MLB.tv, I can just go back to the TV broadcast for the middle innings.

Are they annoying homers?
Everyone aside from Provus is either a MN native or former Twin, so yeah, there's some homerism. I've never found it to be annoying though, and nobody acts like the Twins can do no wrong.

Novelties
Sadly since Bert Blyleven retired, the Circle Me Bert gag on TV got rebranded as the MN state lottery "Winners Circle", so it sucks now.

Does anyone have a distracting or annoying voice?
Dan Gladden

Would I recommend this broadcast to the casual viewer?
Aside from the middle innings on radio, absolutely.

I'm gonna back this up with a couple things:

1. Morneau's dryness is mostly related to being Canadian and living in Minnesota for the past 20 years. I love his analysis and stories and beautiful Canadian face. After the chaos goblin that was Bert Blyleven (which, tbh, the Dick-and-Bert dynamic was fun because Bremer had to keep on his preacher's-son toes) it's nice to have a guy that sounds like a baseball nerd. Morneau sounds like the kind of guy you would just talk sports with, and he has the added benefit of being really loving smart, which I'm super happy about considering his brain has been scrombled way too many times.

2. Gladden is by far the worst announcer I have ever heard on any medium in any sport. The most apt comparison I can think of is John Smoltz, but far more surly. New things?? In baseball??? He sounds like the manager in Major League but without hope, joy, or charisma.

3. If I had my pick of the crew, I'd move Provus to TV with Morneau. A one-for-one swap with Bremer would work, as Gladden and Bremer would be a passable old-school team, and then when Bremer finally walks they can find a whole new radio team.

4. Circle Me Bert can never die so long as my spouse still has it on a t-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU