Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Coomer works specifically because he's an idiot goofball which bounces well off of Pat being a traditional and straightforward pbp guy. If you want to get annihilated watching a Cubs game put on the radio broadcast and take a drink every time Pat says a thing, and then after a beat Ron says the exact same thing again, just phrased slightly differently.

The TV booth situation is a trash fire, Marquee's production people seem dead set on emulating the national broadcast format of ESPN, complete with an overcrowded three-person booth, constant cutting away from the actual game for inane interviews or retrospectives, and an endless barrage of in-game ads. They also tried to insist on the booth guys wearing full suits for the first couple years like it was a Yankees flight and the work environment got so dysfunctional the former pbp guy Len Kasper jumped ship to call White Sox radio instead. The only good person left is JD so of course Marquee boxed him out of calling like every other game last year and I fear he's probably going to leave soon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anyway so this thread isn't all Cubs I'll talk about the San Francisco Giants broadcasters since I get to hear them quite a bit around here:

Television Team: Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper aka Kruk & Kuip
Turns out when you've been broadcasting as the same duo for almost 30 years, you get pretty good at it! Kuiper is one of the few former players I know of to do pbp instead of color, and I think it's safe to say he's one of the best still going at knowing when to talk and when to shut up and let the game do the talking for him. Krukow is also a former player and does a good job of balancing anecdotes and player insight. The two bounce really well off another and make watching games a treat. That said they're both getting up there and Kuiper in particular has been dealing medical issues that prevented him from calling a lot of games the last couple years. Supposedly he is going to do all the home games this year and a limited number of away games as well.

Radio Team: Jon Miller and Dave Flemming
Miller is one of the most iconic broadcaster voices still working in baseball imo, an absolutely phenomenal personality and Ford C Frick award winner. Famous for having a Vin Scully impersonation and even more famous for doing the impersonation in front of Vin Scully who, in perfect Scully fasion, absolutely roasted him for it. Flemming is... fine, I guess? He's inoffensive but I don't feel like he adds a ton, and he kinda struggles with shutting up when the moment needs to breath. The radio broadcast isn't split into a traditional color/pbp, Miller and Flemming trade off every couple innings.

Are they annoying homers?
All of the SF broadcast guys are unabashed homers, welcome to the Bay Area bitch. If you don't like it listen to the opposing booth.

Novelties
None I can really think of, although maybe an actual Giants fan could think of something.

Does anyone have a distracting or annoying voice?
No and it rules.

Would I recommend this broadcast to the casual viewer?
It's probably *the* broadcast I would recommend to a casual or new viewer right now.