Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
One thing that's pretty cool is that I don't think anyone really quips while fighting. They sometimes maybe do it after to break the tension or whatever, but the characters are too busy not dying to be like "they have lasers now?!??!" or whatever.

Also I think that the following gags were genuinely good:

sending stone feedback and the Paladin just walking straight up a rock

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
E: rolled a 1 and double posted

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It deftly manages a really fine line of being silly and self-aware without overdoing it to cynically sneering at the source or winking both eyes at the audience.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

first last of us now d&d. is this the games adaptation renaissance that has been foretold?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Went to see it this weekend, and it was a lot better than I expected. They managed to understand that 99% of D&D games are exercises in absurdist comedy with a little bit of heroics mixed in when a plan actually comes together. There were so many moments where I could visualize what a DM or players at the table would be doing without it getting in the way of the flow of the narrative of the actual story being told. For example, the fact that the party got a staff that allowed them to bypass an adventure dead-end but then decided to use that staff in a completely bonkers way that would allow them to enter the vault in a way the DM didn't "intend", so the painting gets pushed over but instead of proceeding with their original plan the party splits up and the DM has to handwave black tentacles everywhere so that he or she can throw them into the arena like intended. That entire sequence plays out smoothly, but I could visualize the DM tearing their hair out as the party got more and more off track AND split up (the party splitting is the bane of all DMs).

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Fast paced, charming, and breezy while still sincere in its humor? Practical creature effects?? Emotional moments that aren't undercut by detached jokes???
Well goddamn, wasn't this a balm for the soul.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I appreciated the bit where the adorable fat dragon was having trouble sparking off its breath weapon and they used the sorcerer's candle finger cantrip to exploit that-- but trusted the audience to piece it together from what we're seeing instead of vomiting a baby bird puree of exposition about what was going on into our mouths.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The cat parent didn't lick its gooey offspring after it got rescued, 0/10.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Watched it earlier today. I thought it was good, and I liked that it didn’t take itself too seriously. I thought it was funny that they spent so long getting that helmet only for it to be completely pointless and then forgotten about immediately. My gf didn’t like it as much, she said it was too light on the plot and characterization. She also kept complaining about how it didn’t follow the rules of dnd very closely

Imho it’s worth watching but it did run kinda long

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I really like that the film combines cgi and practical effects like the new Star Wars trilogy and Jurassic World tried to do, but isn't just a rehash of the best moments of better movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've got half a cereal bar edible left and thinking real hard about going to see this tonight in a theater on the Vegas strip

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Owlbear Camus posted:

It deftly manages a really fine line of being silly and self-aware without overdoing it to cynically sneering at the source or winking both eyes at the audience.

I'm honestly not sure why the comedy in this works so well compared to Forspoken which is so cringe I can't even bare to watch clips of it. On the surface they're basically the same sort of humor, and yet this is delightful. Maybe the delivery is just better?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's probably contextual, too. It makes more sense that the players at a D&D table would be sarcastic than a character in an actual videogame setting.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Yeah, it’s easy to think of the quippy parts as the players and the DM joking around at the table. Having that meta-narrative helps a lot versus similar films.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It was good. I think in 2023 just being “good” is a feat.

Good practical effects. Funny scripted moments, not lovely improv. The funnier stuff was how it poked fun at its own characters and weird world and not just things bland characters say to each other to be snarky like an Avengers team. It didn’t need to be anything beyond that, and it knew it, and people can appreciate that.

The best parts were the Chris Pine video artifact and the walking in a straight line.

As others said it doesn’t feel too loose nor wink at the audience too much.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Was there a blink dog to go along with the displacer beast?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mozi posted:

ok seriously what level is this wizard that he has so many available 3rd level spells?
4th Edition! :argh:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

Good practical effects. Funny scripted moments, not lovely improv. The funnier stuff was how it poked fun at its own characters and weird world and not just things bland characters say to each other to be snarky like an Avengers team. It didn’t need to be anything beyond that, and it knew it, and people can appreciate that.

The writing was actually clever, not just josh whedon clever substitute where the characters drolly comment at what's going on to the audience. That style of writing would have bitten at a hundred opportunities to suck the air out of every scene. *while fleeing from enormous mortal peril: "wow i didn't know dragons hoarded high fructose corn syrup!"

The Speak With Dead bit was already funny in the preview clip, I had some good guffaws at all the riffing they did in the full scene.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Your "high fructose corn syrup" line actually made me laugh, which makes it funnier than anything Joss Whedon ever wrote.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 6, 2023

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I.. liked this? I was 100% to write it off but after seeing some of the initial "no this is actually pretty good" comments I went in totally blind and.. no this is actually pretty good

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Just got back from seeing it. I was thoroughly pissed because I paid 45 bucks for 2 tickets, a small drink, and a small popcorn then had to watch a solid 30 minutes of lovely marvel trailers.

Despite all that, the movie was rad. Was a lot of fun seeing so many sights along the Sword Coast, where I spent my teen years gaming. I think I may go see it again. It played a lot like a light hearted game of D&D.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Dregs posted:

I paid 45 bucks for 2 tickets, a small drink, and a small popcorn then had to watch a solid 30 minutes of lovely marvel trailers.

An authentic cinematic experience.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

When I was around 9 my dad got me a 50 dollar Harkins gift certificate and I was absolutely devastated that it only lasted me like two trips to the movies and that feeling never left

itry
Aug 23, 2019

PinheadSlim posted:

When I was around 9 my dad got me a 50 dollar Harkins gift certificate and I was absolutely devastated that it only lasted me like two trips to the movies and that feeling never left

And back in those days you weren't even thanked for your service.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I hit my vape cart a bunch in the parking lot and showed up just in time for the trailers for finish. Perfection.

Movie was good. Absolutely lost my mind at Bradley Cooper as a halfling and Hugh Grant got a whole movie to basically be Hugh Grant. Good poo poo. The wide shots of Neverwinter were very pretty and the extremely chonky dragon ruled.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I was floored because I was absolutely sure they were going to have the pure balls to put Drow in the flick, but they (wisely, I guess) backed off.

I have been trying to get my GF to play a paladin because it suits her pretty well. She saw him and asked if they always acted like that. I said, "Yes. It is part of the class."

Of course now she wants to play a druid. And she thinks she has a hard time keeping up with her sorcerer spells.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's pretty funny how everyone is just like "wow this movie wasn't complete dog poo poo, it was actually pretty decent" and that's seen as being a total unicorn

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

It's pretty funny how everyone is just like "wow this movie wasn't complete dog poo poo, it was actually pretty decent" and that's seen as being a total unicorn

Did you watch the D&D movies before this one though?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

itry posted:

Did you watch the D&D movies before this one though?

I think it has less to do with the old D&D movie and more a comparison with Marvel movies. Some people just don't like them and expect every action/adventure movie to be just like them.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

GundamHealer posted:

I hit my vape cart a bunch in the parking lot and showed up just in time for the trailers for finish. Perfection.

Movie was good. Absolutely lost my mind at Bradley Cooper as a halfling and Hugh Grant got a whole movie to basically be Hugh Grant. Good poo poo. The wide shots of Neverwinter were very pretty and the extremely chonky dragon ruled.

I loved that Bradley Cooper and Michelle Rodriguez both equally have a type.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

PinheadSlim posted:

I think it has less to do with the old D&D movie and more a comparison with Marvel movies. Some people just don't like them and expect every action/adventure movie to be just like them.

To be fair, that style has been suffocating the genre for over a decade now.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I liked this movie more than I expected

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

itry posted:

To be fair, that style has been suffocating the genre for over a decade now.

I'm just talking about movies in general, not superhero or Marvel or anything in particular.

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?
Just saw the movie tonight. It was very good and funny. I hope everyone else has been enjoying it too!

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Love how the movie starts with Chris Pine doing “let me tell you my character’s very important backstory”

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
that coming back around in the ending was a good laugh

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I kind of wish they would have made off in the giant Hugh Grant hot air balloon

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

GundamHealer posted:

Love how the movie starts with Chris Pine doing “let me tell you my character’s very important backstory”

The gag with him continuously asking for Jarnathan to be present for his story, plus the reversal when he actually shows up, did a great job of setting the tone for the movie. Especially because their entire escape was pointless because the sob story worked and they got pardoned anyways. Just all around good gags while setting up the backstory and character motivations for these rest of the movie. It works really well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The fact they were pardoned anyway works on a couple levels. Apart from the joke, it was also obvious from the get go that the party was getting out of the tower one way or another because the DM wants to get the adventure started.