Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I don't even know how I got here but this is the coolest thread I have seen on these forums in a while! We bought our teardrop in 2021 (one that you highlight in your OP actually). We have loved every outing and adventure with it. I have posted a bit about it in the RV thread in The Great Outdoors as well as my own thread in AI.

As a family of 5 we love the minimalist approach and it is perfect as a weekender but totally capable of longer outings. I have actually just scheduled an appointment with Bean to have a few updates fitted to the trailer. Getting rid of the stabilizers in favor of actual jacks and I am getting the spare tire mount that goes on the front tray instead of the side which should be a better setup with how I have our Trasharoo bag mounted on the side and hanging off. At speed the bag just catches a lot of air and while it has been fine I would just like to avoid that stress on the mounting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Man that looks awesome and I can't wait until that's us! I bet the kids love their personal tent/fort - how much loading would that take? Could adults sleep up there?

We're already starting to plan a trip out to Utah in 2025. We're Upper Midwest so our scenery is going to be more of the trees-n-lakes type and less of the gloriously rugged rocks, which we aim to fix.

e. Fix is the wrong word. We quite like trees and lakes, but we're for sure looking to get further abroad once we have this completed.

The tent is really nice. It actually has a larger sleeping area than the Bean. The iKamper is generally great, there are a few things about it that I don't like as much as my ARB roof tent. Ultimately it is one of the best/largest sleeping area hard shell tents on the market and I could say it was the best at the time we picked it up. I am pretty sure I have gone in depth what I prefer and dislike about each in my AI thread or the RV thread.

You know - I never looked at the "load" limit of the rack. Bean advertises the iKamper and other hard shell tents with their models so I did not question it. I went and looked at the FAQ on their site and only saw that they note the Thule load bars have an operating weight of a 220 pound dynamic load. I keep my speeds reasonable even on the highway and take it easy while off roading. It is not uncommon for all five to be in the tent at one time while we play card games though. We don't jump around though. In three years so far the Thule bars have done their part and the walls/mounts of the trailer are holding up without issue. The mounting arms are definitely not the weak point of the setup. I would say point of failure would probably be the Thule bars before anything else and those seem to be holding up fine.

When you are ready for your trip just send me a PM if you want any insights on places you want to go.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Just replying to say I am still really enjoying the build thread and consistent posting effort!

Got out a couple weeks ago. Only three times so far this year (it has been a busy summer) but every time I do it I am ready to get out again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Not remotely!

I've got a beat up Coleman camp stove that works, but I'm not overly fond of. Really looking for something that can run at a lower minimum temperature, "low" on this thing is still awfully high.

Hot water is, as you say, kinda tedious. No immediate plans for it - But, there are places along the outer sides along the galley where we could bolt on an external unit if we ever decided we wanted to add that.

Our Bean came with a Cook Partner. I had never heard of the brand before but it has really surpassed my expectations. It seems quite efficient on propane use; you can actually turn the heat to low and it doesn't blow out. I can fit two 8" pans side by side. It also has some latches that we can undo to set the stove on the counter top, a table, etc.

I do not have the on demand hot water. I've been researching collapsible silicone kettles to see if there is a good one that will work for our setup. The Sea to Summit seems to be the best rated but is rather expensive. I will probably buy one next year; it just seems like at $60 there could be different options.

The build is coming along so great! I can't wait to see the full finished product.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That little shelter looks good. The luxury of shade when you are outdoors is so nice to have. One thing in the Bean community I have seen that is popular is the Kelty Backroads Shelter. It is not a full free-standing awning but it can be used to help keep space off the back of the rear galley. Since I have the ARB awning on my Lexus I have never really worried much about any covering for shelter.