Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Raised by Hamsters posted:

On the other hand the deep sanding scratches were all over the place.

So yup. More sanding to come.

You've probably got this and have a good deal of sanding experience at this point, but something my boat/car painter uncle taught me when I was young was to always have a paint stick or something similar nearby to whack the bajeezus out of the sanding board every dozen strokes for this exact reason. Also make sure your primer hardens up well before sanding again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Not sure what you are painting with, but look at penetrol. It really slows down drying and makes it a lot harder for orange peel to occur.

Edit - Also think about putting an automotive clearcoat over it all to protect the paint, that stuff is real tough.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm still loving reading this, keep up the good work, it's looking great!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I love following along. I just wanted to add that if you ever have more wiring like this to do, check out AC/DC wire and supply on Ebay for boat wire, MTW, or GXL automotive wire. The boat wire specifically is tinned, high strand count, and way more flexible than THHN. It sometimes even has the double walled jacket so you can see nicks in it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294112186692?itmmeta=01HPHFH9ZRYSBAM0A04MFV2SBX&hash=item447a73d144:g:Wm4AAOSw8RZaefTs. I'd really recommend crosslinked automotive GXL or TXL for the low voltage stuff. Also way more flexible and much nicer to work with.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Oh, this was all boat wire, ancor Marine brand, not sure how that compares. Is probably mostly oversized and thus stiffer beyond what you're expecting, because I can't help myself.

Max possible load on the headboard end is about 15 amps and it's ~20 feet of wire. So 14 gauge was I think good there. However the overhead light circuit is like... An (one) amp, so why did I not just get some smaller wire?

Answer: because I thought one spool was going to cover things so I did it all that way, then ended up using almost two anyway. I'm planning to just fuse some of these branches quite a bit lower than the wire itself would support, because there's no real reason not to.

If you want to see where I really overdid it, wait tell we get to the primary battery wire.

Nope, I just spied the 2 conductor jacketed boat cable in a tiny thumbnail and totally misidentified it. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I think you're doing a great job here, and don't want to feed your perfectionism as its already quite good, but you should get one of those lights that paintless dent removers use. It makes a series of same width equally spaced lines on your part so you can read the distortion of the light to highlight the imperfections.