Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Absolutely love this build thread. Everything looks great, and your little notes a la

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Thought I: I should just take care of the brake light. Someone cleverer than I, might have done these two operations in the reverse order. Oh well.

Are very relatable. Keep it up, we’re rooting for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Wiring is also a mess, especially knowing when you should do what for ease of build. You figure that out after you’ve done it, so next time it’ll go quick!

There’s never a next time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

-Buy a strip of thin aluminum corner guide, then try to partially flatten and re-shape it via some sort of fabricated roller device.
Pros: if successful would look very nice. Could anodize it black since it won’t match the (painted) diamond plate. Not terribly expensive in the event a do-over is needed.
Cons: Again no experience, going to take a while and some attempts to come up with formed rolling dies & a device to run it.

Easiest thing I can think of: buy a 5/8 steel pin from McMaster Carr, buy some square stock of aluminum, use a 5/8 end mill to cut a radius down the center of it. Use the two in a vise or a press to smoosh the aluminum strip into a 5/8 radius.

Pros: dummy-proof, not super expensive. Will build muscle.

Cons: you need to know someone with a mill, unless you can think of some other way to get a 5/8 radius down the center of some square stock.

Lemme see if we have any extra poo poo laying around at work next week (I work in a machine shop!), we might actually have some square stock laying in a corner somewhere. Then I just would need some time during breaks to cut it.

E:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

For your upper edge, I think you'd need some kind of flashing or sealing surface. I wouldn't leave a factory edge, even one with sealant at the top.

That corner looks like it's asking for a piece of aluminum tube with 1 1/4" ID, roll it to shape, cut it somehow...?, it fits perfectly!

There's always the option of leaving the diamond plate square-edge and attaching it to the side decorative swoop with a TIG WELDED butt joint .

Not a bad idea! You’d need to be handy with an angle grinder, but that could work too.
Note: I am not handy with an angle grinder and would not do that. I like my fingers.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 9, 2024

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If we have the right aluminum bar stock laying around, I could see if I can heist 6” or so of if and just mill a 5/8 channel down the center of it to use as a form block of some sort and send it to you, would be a fun and easy bit of milling. Maybe would be best to mill the channel, then step over about 0.040” to give some room for the aluminum flat between the dowel and the block.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, lemme sketch something and dm you when I get home. But full radius down with some extra space at the bottom and sides to accommodate the aluminum to be formed, so it would be 0.350 deep (ish) x 0.675ish wide with the full radius sides?
Only if it’s the option you wanna go with, of course.
E: and supposing we have stuff laying around. We have a lot of poo poo sitting around, figuring out what’s what is the deal.

E2: ooooh corner round, right. It’ll be 350 into corner and 350 deep. With some flats on it appropriate for your smooshing method.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 10, 2024

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Eh, I'll at least put the drawings here. DM me if one of these is something you think would be useful - no 100% guarantee we have the tools sitting around, but I'm pretty sure we have at least one 1 1/4" ball end mill. We don't usually mill radii that big in this way, so I'll have to dig around.
Also, actually drawing things forced me to realize how big of an idiot I am - while out and about yesterday I was thinking of a 5/8 diameter instead of a 5/8 radius. Big difference! That's why I have a whiteboard with me at work to draw things out before I do something dumb(er than usual).

I was thinking of cutting a 6" bar and either of these two things:
1) For a half radius one you mill that half radius along one top edge, then flat mill off the corners of the bar so you can hold it flat in a vise to wail on it.
2) For the full radius, it's super easy, just mill that big honker straight through in a few passes.

Half Radius

Full Radius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Been kinda putting around at work digging into cabinets occasionally, and naw. Biggest end mills we have are 1.000.
Our manual machinist / toolmaker says we could throw that radius with a 1.000 somehow, which would be an interesting challenge on our little Bridgeport. Can’t free up enough time to program it out in mastercam where it would REALLY throw that radius perfectly, our CNCs are slammed. If we need to I think we could do it though. It’d just take longer.