Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
no better way to spend a sunday morning than hanging out in the library for a few and reading whatever catches your eye. my local library has these big windows facing the river and a little cheap coffee shop inside it. perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

My library has a book club that's been a lot of fun :)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One of my earliest memories is getting a card from the library back when they were cardstock with a little metal plate stamped with my member number. Because I was like 3 years old I got a cool light blue card that limited me to the kids' section but I liked it better than my mom's boring brown one. It had its own sleeve and everything and was actually the most precious thing I owned for a long time

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Heath posted:

One of my earliest memories is getting a card from the library back when they were cardstock with a little metal plate stamped with my member number. Because I was like 3 years old I got a cool light blue card that limited me to the kids' section but I liked it better than my mom's boring brown one. It had its own sleeve and everything and was actually the most precious thing I owned for a long time

My hometown library did a reading club every summer and I still remember being a kid and being so friggin proud every time the librarian stamped my sheet after I read a book from the list.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Today my library had a "craft swap" where you could bring in old, unused arts and crafts supplies and take as much as you wanted from what people donated. We got a BUNCH of new stuff like knitting needles, squares of fabric, embroidery floss, loving yarn spinning spindles, an entire blank scrapbook, I mean so much crafting and art supplies it's crazy. All for free. Go to your library today.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Youremother posted:

Today my library had a "craft swap" where you could bring in old, unused arts and crafts supplies and take as much as you wanted from what people donated. We got a BUNCH of new stuff like knitting needles, squares of fabric, embroidery floss, loving yarn spinning spindles, an entire blank scrapbook, I mean so much crafting and art supplies it's crazy. All for free. Go to your library today.

This is great! I'm going to pass this along to our branch manager. If anyone else has cool local programs they've seen like this I'd love to hear about them.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
My library system does this thing (and maybe it's common) where they sell used books all year long to raise donations. It's always a small little unmanned system with a donation box, and the price suggestions are outrageously generous: 25 cent kid books and magazines, 50 cent paperbacks, and $1 hardcovers

It absolutely rules. A lot of the books are airport novels and nonfic on topics I'm not super interested in, but it changes often. Every week or so I bring my kids to the library to look at books, then on the way out we drop $10 and they can take home as many kids books as they want from the pile. I'm hoping it engenders a love of libraries in them

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My hometown library had one of those. I found a few of my favorite books ever that way

I got one called Coming of Age in the Milky Way when I was in high school and it made for a good little pop sci primer on astronomy and physics and helped me understand the basic idea of general relativity and I think about it often. I think I paid .75 cents for it in hard cover

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I take my 3 year old son to the library every other weekend. We read together then he gets 5-10 books to take home, and he loves it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm filling in for a coworker tomorrow. It's all-ages storytime with a picture book read out loud (maybe two), sing-along time, and a craft. Why do I do these things to myself.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

I brought my Drake posted:

I'm filling in for a coworker tomorrow. It's all-ages storytime with a picture book read out loud (maybe two), sing-along time, and a craft. Why do I do these things to myself.

Kids don't care if you mess up, but they will notice if you're nervous, so just have fun with it!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I love my local library, it has a video games and movie section.

The last book I have picked up from said library was a book on Plato. Smart guy that Plato.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love my local library, I typically go there once a week. It's in an amazing 19th century building built with funds from some Gilded Age robber baron so it looks like a mansion, and even has a little natural history museum on the fourth floor. Plus they have a monthly sci-fi book club and access to Kanopy via the library card.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just went to the library yesterday, to pick up a hold for a book about local history.

If you didn't know, I have a thread about local history!

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017351]

It's mostly focused on small people or events I find intriguing, since I don't like going down well-worn paths.

Anyhow, the central library in my city of Rochester, NY https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rundel_Memorial_Library was built 1934-1936 on piers over an old mill race* on the Genesee River. The race waters still flow underneath and pour out of decorative spills along the west side of the building.

*[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017351&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post529806062]

[https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1560393893]

The Rundel Memorial Library under construction, 1935. The spillway can be seen at front.

[https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1116590196]

1949, the spillway in all its glory.

The Rundel Library was built with a combination of WPA funds and a bequest from the late Morton W. Rundel, involved in art galleries and real estate; his large fortune was due to early investment in Kodak in order to help his friend, George Eastman.

The Rundel building is now one of two buildings, with a newer Central Library structure built across South Avenue.

It's really quite a charming building, and I love to go check out its local history section, especially the massive plat maps and atlases:

Original Photo by BRAWNFIRE!!!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Ever since moving to Maryland I've been using the library more than I ever have mostly just checking out physical manga and the occasional book that sparks my interest (working my way through Red Rising trilogy) just recently moved to a new town though this month and the local branch has a Negro League Baseball exhibit installation so I think I will do that today!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Im working my way through all of Discworld which has many books I want to read but not buy and that is my current library story.

My son and I were going to Video Game Club for awhile every other week but he moved on to other stuff, but that was a great way to get him into the library for awhile

My library is two blocks from my house (one of the reasons we picked it!) so it’s easy!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

My writing group met in one of the conference rooms at my local library today to workshop our short stories, and I borrowed a Garrison Keillor book on my way out

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The Libby app sending books directly to my Kindle >>>>>>>>

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

My local library is visible from my front door and it rules

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

the sex ghost posted:

This reminded me that I need to go to the library today so thanks op

My childhood library was next door to my school and it was a beautiful Victorian thing with the green desk lamps and a newspaper reading room with the big desks and everything. They ripped a load of the original wooden fittings out in a refurb a few years ago and now it just looks weird, like call center desk banks in a room with herringbone floors and cast iron radiators. Very few pictures online but this was the old check in desk

Current library is about 2 miles down the road. There was one round the corner but it got closed down. OP is right that councils and local authorities HATE libraries and will close or bin half their collections at the slightest provocation to save a minuscule amount of money so you need to just go and do stuff there as often as possible

The last time I was in there there was an older gentleman watching 'Ben Shapiro DESTROYS college student' videos and taking notes and he had about 40 tabs open. Something for everyone

This same poo poo happened to the library I went to as a kid. Before they renovated it, it was your typical woodgrain everywhere library, cozy as hell, afterwards it was just a depressing, modernized layout that made you feel like you were at the DMV or some poo poo.

Nowadays the book selection is pitiful and it's mostly just a glorified internet cafe. It was close enough that, growing up, I would cycle over there once a week to grab a new book. Really depressing thinking about how many libraries outright disappeared or are currently in a state of dying. You basically have to find a decent university library and hopefully known someone to get you in if you want any sort of decent selection.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SheepThrowinBoy posted:

The South in general has it out for libraries right now, huh? I live in AR and it seems like there's defunding/protests/challenges in just about every county I check on. Locally "we" just decided to cut the entire library millage in half because someone noticed a couple books about gender and lifestyle identity in the teen section. It's loving outrageous.

almost sounds like an astroturfed campaign to eliminate one of the few Public Goods in America we have left!1!1

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 16, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Posting from my library, right now. It's rainy as hell over here so the quiet warmth of the library is exactly what a day like today needs. Working on finishing Moonlight by Michael Chabon today.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Nowadays the book selection is pitiful and it's mostly just a glorified internet cafe. It was close enough that, growing up, I would cycle over there once a week to grab a new book. Really depressing thinking about how many libraries outright disappeared or are currently in a state of dying. You basically have to find a decent university library and hopefully known someone to get you in if you want any sort of decent selection.

Time to start using holds dude

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Arrhythmia posted:

Time to start using holds dude

Yeah, a lot of libraries are in consortiums or networks and can easily have any book you want sent there. Often if the book is new enough you can simply request they purchase it to add to their collection. Finally, there are libraries all over the US that will send and receive books as ILLs, or interlibrary loans.

I know this can be more inconvenient than just grabbing a book you want off the shelf, but this sharing of resources really allows local libraries to invest in a lot of different things, providing more resources to the underprivileged, like after school programs and computer/internet access.

Of course, it would be much nicer if we just funded our libraries better.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Interlibrary loans loving rule. While it is tragic that many libraries are losing shelf space for books, if there's specific books you want to read it never ever hurts to send in an ILL request. Most of the books I've really craved to read and weren't available in my local library system took only a few days to show up once requested through the ILL system.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

went to my library yesterday but it was closed so i couldent browse but i picked up my 2 holds from the lockers! My Volcano by john elizabeth stintzi and Civilizations by Laurent Binet

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Everything I want to look at is always in the stacks

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
recently moved to a small town and don't have any friends, the library chess club and adult board game night are helping with that

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

moana posted:

My library has a telescope you can borrow. It also gives out free museum passes.

You in New Hampshire by any chance? I’m a member of the NH Astronomical Society; we’ve customized and placed telescopes at over 100 town libraries in NH.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I got a new job and I'm still a computer toucher but half of my day is spent at my desk in the campus library!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my local library kicks rear end and is part of the cleveland public library system which kicks even more rear end

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DamnCanadian posted:

You in New Hampshire by any chance? I’m a member of the NH Astronomical Society; we’ve customized and placed telescopes at over 100 town libraries in NH.
Nope, I'm california, but that's awesome to hear!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
has anyone ever just asked a librarian "oh how can I read about X?". they're so loving good at that poo poo. wild.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

has anyone ever just asked a librarian "oh how can I read about X?". they're so loving good at that poo poo. wild.

I asked a librarian once several months ago about a certain topic and every now and then another email appears with more and more golden nuggets of wonder.

"Hey, would you be interested in aerial photographs of the neighborhood you're interested in from the exact time you're researching?" Oh, no, thanks, sounds awful! Allow me to keep groping about in the dark, homeslice

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm too socially awkward to do anything but browse or pick up my holds, but my wife did ask for kids books when my oldest was just getting into books, and for 6 months straight we got personalized emails and automatic holds on the more popular recommendations

it's nuts. how are libraries real?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Arrhythmia posted:

Those are my absolute favorite reference questions.

There's a patron who occasionally comes to our branch who lives at the local retirement community. I don't see her as often as I did because I don't work at the public library as often and the mobile library has a schedule stop out there now. She likes certain kinds of fiction and we exchange emails like every week. I give her book suggestions and she requests the ones she likes and we chat about books. I get the feeling that her family seldom, if ever, visits. I'm glad I can find things she likes though.

(Sidenote: telling a librarian what you don't like to read when you are looking for something new is just as important as telling them what you do like to read. As fun as the aforementioned patron is, she doesn't like stuff with "social issues" or excessive violence, so finding things that she'll actually read all the way through is a challenge.)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It's national library week, bring your library some cookies or a thank you note or something :)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'll mash a cupcake into my favorite reference book

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I like the way my local libraries smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

got an interview with a local library friday so actually it seems they will be the ones supporting me.